Most Common AES Bootlegs

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
What are the most commonly bootlegged AES games?

List will be here.

Please post the title and pics if possible.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Metal Slug 1 and Neo Turf Masters for sure. I see those everywhere. There's always some on eBay too.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
bootlegs or conversions, I don't think I've seen legitimate AES bootlegs, that aren't conversions. Conversions and bootlegs are definitely different lol.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
You can only tell if a AES cart has EPROMs by its weight, or by opening it. Neither of those can be done through an eBay purchase.

Most people here lump them all together unfortunately, but an EPROM filled AES cart is definitely worse than one with Mask ROMs.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
In my travels across eBay and the like, I'd say, so far:

Breakers
Metal Slug 1, 2 & X
Pulstar
Blazing Star
Fu-un Tag
Ninja Masters
TSS
Shock Troopers 2
Sengoku 3/2001

And, more recently, I saw my first Rage of the Dragons!

I'm also surprised to have not yet seen a conversion/boot of SSVSpecial? Presumably they made that much harder to reproduce or it's rare on both formats (etc)?

No doubt many more will follow as AES price steadily rise out of control, making buying and, just as importantly, selling legitimate AES carts down the road, much more difficult (i.e. Garou, WW7, MMelee, SW3, KOF 03 etc)

Obviously there's a full list of MVS-to-AES conversions, but those should be much more obvious! ;)

EDIT: Just read Wyndcrossers comments. There probably IS a difference between 'outright' boots and conversions, but if something has been created from something else entirely (i.e. an MVS cart) and has repro labels, insert and manual, then it's pretty much a bootleg imo.

As such, I'm sure all the titles I listed range from conversions to outright boots! :D

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Last Hope AES is probably the most recent bootleg to come out.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
And, more recently, I saw my first Rage of the Dragons!

if you want stupid, i happen to be the owner of a bootleg rage of the dragons MVS cart! holy shit, right?

i wouldn't even have it in my home right now if it wasn't for the fact that it was a hysterical gift from another member here.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
af3 has seen an upswing in popularity recently

NeoGeoNinja

Last Hope AES is probably the most recent bootleg to come out.
Forgot about that one!

if you want stupid, i happen to be the owner of a bootleg rage of the dragons MVS cart! holy shit, right?

i wouldn't even have it in my home right now if it wasn't for the fact that it was a hysterical gift from another member here.
Hysterical gift? Don't think I've ever received one of those. Also, what's the deal with PPL bootlegging MVS carts?! I'm presuming it's something to do with using the original MVS ROMS for an AES conversion and then using some cheap (out of my depth here!) reprogrammed ROMS or EPROMS(?) with the ROTD ROM to rebuild the MVS cart and sell it on? Is that anywhere near the crux of it?

NeoGeoNinja

Anyone have seen SENGOKU 2 or SSpirits IV amakusa's revenge??? Are those common bootlegs??
Not at all, at least, not the Japanese versions as there is not enough money to be made in them vs the conversion & counterfeiting process.

It's usually the £500+ titles you have to be wary of when it comes to JP games. Don't know enough about the US market/titles though...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Metal Slug 1, obviously.
Metal Slug X
Twinkle star Sprites
Blazing Star
Totenou 4

AlecRob

Banned
Speaking of metal slug 1 bootlegs...

How many legit copies are actually in existence? Does anybody know?

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Hysterical gift? Don't think I've ever received one of those. Also, what's the deal with PPL bootlegging MVS carts?! I'm presuming it's something to do with using the original MVS ROMS for an AES conversion and then using some cheap (out of my depth here!) reprogrammed ROMS or EPROMS(?) with the ROTD ROM to rebuild the MVS cart and sell it on? Is that anywhere near the crux of it?

Sounds about right to me.

Edmond Dantes

Rugal's Thug
Are the Fatal Fury or World Heroes games ever bootlegged?

Should I be suspicious of any game going for less than $200 on eBay?

Edmond Dantes

Rugal's Thug
So if I buy an AES World Heroes or Fatal Fury, its more likely to be legit?

(Those are some of the first games I intend to grab, that's why I'm asking)

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
yea those are low dollar common carts

Arcade Magician

Goal! Goal! Goal!
bootlegs or conversions, I don't think I've seen legitimate AES bootlegs, that aren't conversions. Conversions and bootlegs are definitely different lol.
Good point. I would like to see an 100% bootleg... board, PROMs or EPROMs, case... etc.