Most Common AES Bootlegs

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems uncommon for these high volume sellers to receive negative feedback for selling conversions.

Of course a large percentage of the customer base is ignorant and or complacent with owning boots though.

On a different note, I'm surprised there aren't scumbags leaving negative feedback screaming "bootleg" when they're getting the real thing (doing a swap). I've never hustled anyone on ebay, but with the way ebay works today it sounds like it's pretty easy.

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
If they give the seller a neg, they're just gonna get blocked from further auctions by that seller, and negs only count towards feedback percentage within a year. Feedback sabotage is not very effective.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Without provenance, all those ebay auctions aren't any good for those who want the genuine stuff.

totoro

X>2, (He is so wrong -Ed),
I'll never get into AES stuff, but it would be interesting to see pics of how good those boots really look.

Wolf had open a thread with a US metal slug 2 boot...
Search a bit and you will find it.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I am always lurking ebay ... though I always tend to be very suspicious on games like Ninja Masters for example.

So let's speak with real world examples. Right know there are these Ninja Masters AES on ebay

From seller Hit Japan:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEO-GEO-A...000?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4625d77d30

From seller VideoGameImports:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ninja-Mas...ideo_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item3f37f2a2df

From seller NeoAgeStore:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEO-GEO-A...9815121?pt=Console_Giochi&hash=item4adae1dcd1

From JapanRetroGameAndToys (what a name!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NINJA-MAS...21663303?pt=FR_Jeux_Vidéo&hash=item5d4cdf5547

Are all of these conversions or fakes in your opinion? I've never ever bought a neo aes game from ebay. Only these forums and some UK related forums (Bordersdown, etc)

Honestly, I think in some cases it's really hard to tell a boot from an original with (not particularly hi-res) pictures of the cart/manual/case to go on. JapanRetroGameAndToys in particular has 1 picture that is not in a very high resolution. Would you try and sell an item for almost £1k with just one picture unless you wanted people not to notice something? It might be geniune, but I certainly wouldn't try to sell it that way if it was original.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
Are the Fatal Fury or World Heroes games ever bootlegged?

Should I be suspicious of any game going for less than $200 on eBay?

I wouldn't think so since the early released fatal fury and world heroes games are so cheap and easy to find unlike games like mark of the wolves and metal slug

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
but from what I've seen, metal slug 1 and 2 are the most common bootlegs that exist from what I have seen on ebay.

call me crazy but I honestly would mind owning a professional made aes conversion cart. does anyone own a conversion? has anyone had any issues with them?

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
call me crazy but I honestly would mind owning a professional made aes conversion cart. does anyone own a conversion? has anyone had any issues with them?

You're cr8zy and if naitch saw your sig he'd chop your chest until it's worn out.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
EDIT:

Just realized this was AES, I listed mvs boots. bleh

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
but from what I've seen, metal slug 1 and 2 are the most common bootlegs that exist from what I have seen on ebay.

I've owned two conversions is the past, Kizuna Encounter and Ninja Masters. I purchased them out of curiosity, I wanted to know how well they stood up to a original game. Both games were very well done but had noticeable flaws. The insert paper that the seller used was not like the original and the print quality was not as sharp. The manual pages were not cut correctly so some pages were longer than others. Both games played fine and both game stickers looked pretty good. I never opened the cart to see how it looked inside but the seller told me he used original mask roms from mvs carts:confused:.

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The only conversion I bought, knowing they were conversions, were Ironclad and Bang Bang Busters. No idea how they compare to an original, since those are protos that only hoarders have.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Last edited:

snk_is_now

n00b
Chances for the next ones...

Real bout fatal fury

The last blade 1

Sengoku 2

all Aes Jap, what are the chances for these titles to be bootleged?

regards!

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Unfortunately, my Money Puzzle Exchanger MVS is a boot. I don't know how common that one is.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
You'll have to be patient to hunt down an authentic cart of Money Puzzle Exchanger at a reasonable price. Years ago there was this otaku.com that kept churning out AES conversions of rare games like MPE and Pochi & Nyaa. They must have cannibalized dozens of mvs carts.

Last edited:

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
You mean, RAGE OF THE FROGOTS, right? :keke:

I highly recommend you stay away from any expensive AES cart coming from Japan or France. I'd say wait for an old timer to sell his copy on here if you want to be sure. You have no idea how real the frogot boots look nowadays, it's fucking sad :(

Shit, I didnt think buying from Japan would be so risky..france and other european ya, i basically write those off. I was thinking of buying a copy of Last blade AES from Japan and bringing it over, but im starting to have second thoughts. I figured conversions were mostly a problem for $500+ since a conversion typically costs a couple hundred bucks to make.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
I am not aware of last blade 1 jp being bootlegged yet but who knows. I would feel much safer purchasing that than some of the cars that are infamous for boots like pulstar or shock troopers 2.