What I wanted the Neo Geo X to be.....

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I might check out that same device, instead of my large desktop I'm "Saving" for a MAME machine.

Mr. Zurkon

Zero's Secretary
Pretty awesome :D Makes you realize even more how little Tommo truly cared about making us happy :/

betterdavid

Mr. Big's Thug
Nice video, cool emulator box.

That seems like an awesome media box and great for emulators as well. Fuck Apple TV - this thing seems great!

I wonder how good that thing would be at encoding live video for Twitch.tv. Interesting...

Last edited:

Unstupid

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Thanks guys.... Planning a comtroller mod next... gonna take the encoder out of the neogeo x controller and build a MAS stule box around it.... going with IL/Happ competition style convex buttons and a JLF with a bat top for that old school arcade feel. I'll still wire up a 15 pin female port so that itll work with the AES and my CMVS boxes!

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
Inspiring! Thanks for posting this!

Quick question, would an HRAP V3 work with this set up? What do you think of those Neo X sticks?

Unstupid

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Inspiring! Thanks for posting this!

Quick question, would an HRAP V3 work with this set up? What do you think of those Neo X sticks?

Yea the HRAP should work on this box. It's just a windows 7 pc running mame and a hyperspin front end. I'd just have to remap the joystick inputs in mame.

I think the neo geo x sticks suck... The joysticks seem to have like a double click tendency when you move to the sides. I also don't like that the buttons don't click, although they do seem to be kinda squeaky.... The encoder does seen to be fine though... This is why I'll be ripping it out of the controller and sticking it into a new box. Also using the same encoder means that it will still be compatible with the neo geo x so I can keep playing those 20 games if I want... Yay! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I would happily buy one of these in a heartbeat.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Very cool video and usage of the Intel NUC. I might need to order me a NUC for some other emulation usage. Modded XBox ain't got shit on an i3 powered machine.

ChrisB

Another Striker
Nice neat device, very polished. Not even a boot screen insight. I like it :)

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I think i seen some videos of a Pi running some neo geo emulators.... Havent really played with a Pi yet, seems a little underpowered to me...

I wonder if the Ouya could be co-opted to do something like this. It's a Tegra 3 system, so more powerful and a Pi.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Doubt Tommo could ever utilize the unibios as long as they're still getting licensed by SNKP.

YANDMAN

NEST Puppet
look at the price specs, Its ridiculous just go and buy an mvs with games for the same cash

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
That is awesome sir!

When you see things like this, it really sheds light on how badly Tommo dropped the ball with the X.

Unstupid

Kuroko's Training Dummy
look at the price specs, Its ridiculous just go and buy an mvs with games for the same cash

I have a few MV1C and a CMVS (sort of) and if I were to swap cartridges as often as I do then I would end up wearing down the connector. ;)

SSS

neo retired
I recently picked up the core i3 nuc as well. windows 7 64, 8 gigs RAM, 64GB crucial mSATA ssd.

This little thing boots super quick and makes a great HTPC. Running 1080P media from an external terabyte HD with VLC media player. No issues

Setting up hyperspin was a bit of a pain, just cause of all the different stuff you need to download.

I had an issue with the Neo X joystick causing the menu wheels to scroll uncontrollably. No options in HyperHQ fixed it. The work around I found was to download xpadder and map the joystick as keyboard inputs.

Was running the latest build of MAME 64, however I was experiencing input lag to the degree certain games like aerofighters 2 were unplayable. Messed around with all the settings in the .ini, nothing helped.

Tried the standard MAME build, low and behold the input lag is greatly improved and on par with Final Burn Alpha, and may just be dependent on my TV set. So don't even bother with the 64 build, save yourself a huge headache.

All you gotta do to get hyperspin to launch immediately is drag a shortcut to the startup folder on the windows menu. I'm not gonna bother removing bios, and the startup screen. They are only there for a few moments anyway.

The NUC is perfect for this kind of application, super quiet, boots fast, compact. There's a core i5 version coming out soon. But the price point sounds like it's gonna be another 150 bucks over the i3. And honestly, if you're just running 90's era 2D games in MAME, i3 is more than enough.

If you want to do atomiswave and other stuff, I'd look elsewhere.

Last edited: