SHMUPS.... WTF...

TurboRotary13b

Crossed Swords Squire
So I love playing these games but I suck ass. I usually can't get past the second level in any of these games. I just picked up a Turbo Duo and these games have been kicking my ass. I've never had a problem beating any other genre of games. So any SHMUPS pros out there have any tips?

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Caffeine. :)

Although it's one of my favorite game genres, I'm not that great at Shmups either. In all honesty there's no special "trick", it just takes patience and practice. If available, practice on a lesser difficulty as well.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
practice is key.

once you learn the scoring systems and patterns, it getts better. what i like it when i master one and then its nothing but hi-score drives for me. a lot of personal satisfaction in beating your own record.

chipperkwah

Armored Scrum Object
I've been playing Life Force on nes a lot lately, and am repeatedly getting my ass handed to me. Even with the 30 life code.....

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I'm going to assume you credit feed. Once you stop, you'll start retaining what's in the game and you'll start to see the benefits through practice and repetition.

TurboRotary13b

Crossed Swords Squire
I've been playing a bunch of different ones on the Duo so no quarter feeding. Now on the AES with Blazing Star or Pulstar I do. I do fairly well with Blazing Star though.. It's about the only one that I can play somewhat well.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Always do one credit and practice one level at a time. Also, get a shooting watch if you can to practice your button shot total. On newer shooters, study the hit box on your ship/character/etc. You can get away with a lot more if you check to see how much leeway you can get when squeezing between enemy shots. On PCE shooters, some have a speed adjustment by pressing select. Practice with each one to determine the right speed for you.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
On PCE, try Gunhed / Blazing Lazers. It doesn't get too tricky until stage 5 or so. And by then you'll have a decent feel for the game. Come vote for it in the monthly shmup poll (arcade central forum) if you need an excuse to play. :)

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
On PCE, try Gunhed / Blazing Lazers. It doesn't get too tricky until stage 5 or so. And by then you'll have a decent feel for the game. Come vote for it in the monthly shmup poll (arcade central forum) if you need an excuse to play. :)

Yes please vote blazing lazers/gunhed I want to play it bad :D

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Die a lot, on purpose...in different scenarios...to learn your hitbox. It's key, to be familiar w/ your equipment (ships) and it's limitations.

Newer STGs have a graphic icon point for your hitbox, but I ignore that.

I TRY TO NEVER LOOK AT MY SHIP DIRECTLY. Look at everything else-know where the shit is that can kill you.

Try and zone out, like you are looking at a stereogram. Practice grazing scenery, objects, and enemies to dial in just what you can get away with.

The number one thing I did to step up my STG game, was ditch the pad. Sticks (preferably seimitsu) or GTFO.

I also find it helpful, to play for survival 1st-then try for score. Some of the newer scoring systems are hella esoteric; makes an already tricky bit of business that much more challenging.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
So I love playing these games but I suck ass. I usually can't get past the second level in any of these games. I just picked up a Turbo Duo and these games have been kicking my ass. I've never had a problem beating any other genre of games. So any SHMUPS pros out there have any tips?

Well either that or pratice and memorization. I'm horrible at them too with Deathsmiles being the only one I'm being somewhat (and I'm using this term very loosely) "decent" at.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Some interesting suggestions here :scratch:

Die a lot, on purpose...

:lolz:

Sticks (preferably seimitsu) or GTFO.

A bad stick is FAR worse than a good pad... it comes down to what you are comfortable with.

Always do one credit and practice one level at a time.

So how does one become comfortable with late game stages if they never practice them?

what i like it when i master one

Can you give an example of a game you have mastered?

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Lol, Chem- are you suggesting seimitsu make bad sticks? 0_o

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
No, I'm suggesting that what a player is comfortable using is going to net the best results.
Some western examples are:
PROM - DDP record - uses keyboard
Gus - Futari Ultra record - uses 360 pad
Mr Monkey Man - Ketsui Ura 2-all - yep.. PAD

The often talked about advantages of using a stick isn't actually the stick, it's the buttons. :)

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
No, I'm suggesting that what a player is comfortable using is going to net the best results.
Some western examples are:
PROM - DDP record - uses keyboard
Gus - Futari Ultra record - uses 360 pad
Mr Monkey Man - Ketsui Ura 2-all - yep.. PAD

The often talked about advantages of using a stick isn't actually the stick, it's the buttons. :)

I think he was referring to normal people, not inhuman players :lolz:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I agree. The advantage behind using sticks is overblown by many. I love seimitsu sticks, but I play just as well, if not better (game depending) with Saturn pads.

Also we need to remember, the OP is trying to cut his teeth on TG-16 shooters. I think talking about micro-hitboxes and esoteric scoring systems can come another day, that is, if he hasn't already been scared away from the genre.

PS: Always suicide to lower rank :rolleyes:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Have you seen OP's beard, and T-Shirt collection?!

I ain't scurin' no body, lol.

Just saying what worked for me...possibly *too* emphatically. I retract my GTFO. It is for sure, what the player feels most comfy with. For me, that is a stick.

I remember always doing better on the cocktail of SkyShark as a kid, than any of my Genny or PCE games...save Download2. I've always preferred a stick.

I stand by 90% of my OG post. Learning what you can get away with, dying a lot to see how you can get hemmed up ahead of time, and 'zoning out' have helped *me* get a lot better at, and a lot more enjoyment out of STGs.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Don't confine yourself to the bottom/left side of the screen.

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
A couple of things that work for me. You may be different...

The larger the screen, the better. Playing on small screens makes missing incoming fire harder for me. For flat screens that means 50" plasma, CRT for me is 36".

Another thing, and this applies to all fast past games in general; you have to learn to play relaxed. You may think you are relaxed when you might not be. As you're playing, think about your arms, shoulders, hands. Are you able to relax them more than they state they are in when you think about it? If so, you aren't playing relaxed.

Back when I was playing Quake live, an old clan buddy taught me about this. My gameplay improved tremendously.
It's not easy to do at first, it takes a bit of training. But once you get it down, your performance will show it.

Also with a lot of vertical shooters, you almost never want to be on the edges of the screen. Rather than let bullets push you to the side where you inevitably have to walk up the screen to miss incoming fire, you're better off looking for openings and crossing in front of incoming rounds to maintain distance from the edges of the screen. Being able to move in all directions at all times keeps your options open, whereas staying at the bottom or to the side gets you trapped.

Also, when you dodge large volleys of incoming fire, you want to just barely miss it most of the time. With most shooters, the enemy shoots directly at you. If a volley of fire comes and you move away in an extreme manner, the next volley comes your way, and then you've filled the screen with enemy fire. On the other hand, if you make small moves, you can keep enemy fire more concentrated which translates into more open space for you.

Last edited:

EllertMichael

Mickey's Coach
Check out some replays on youtube/nicovideo or trade credits with a friend.
Sometimes just observing the game being played can teach you something you might not have stumbled upon yourself. (like standing around in the arcade used to... :( )

Here's a link to ProMeTheus' useful guide: goo.gl/Fi2zE
I don't personally like to play "his" way (savestate practice, etc.) but a lot of good players do and it works well for them.

As long as you're enjoying yourself then you are doing something right :)

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
I agree. The advantage behind using sticks is overblown by many. I love seimitsu sticks, but I play just as well, if not better (game depending) with Saturn pads.

Also we need to remember, the OP is trying to cut his teeth on TG-16 shooters. I think talking about micro-hitboxes and esoteric scoring systems can come another day, that is, if he hasn't already been scared away from the genre.

PS: Always suicide to lower rank :rolleyes:

Agreed. I think whatever controller type you're used too will serve you best. For non stick users like myself I find them awful to use for shooters. I remember trying to play under defeat with a Dreamcast arcade stick and thinking the fishing rod controller would have been of more use.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Agree with many of what has already been said here already:

Controller your most comfortable with. Like Moonwhistle said, I too tried sticks for various games and I'm horrible with them. Whatever works best for you, so try both. I will say though, if I could go back in time and become 'natural' with a stick, as natural as I am with a pad today, I would have done. But I spent more time at home gaming on consoles than I did hitting up local arcades.

Learn to concentrate on the fire more than looking at your ship - let the control of your craft become more of a peripheral thing, if you can.

I also agree with only playing on one credit. Figure out your game one bit at a time. When you get to the next stage/level, play it until you die, and then start it ALL over again. You learn a little more, more intricately each time and , in the end, it will all become easier and more natural to you. I used this same method to figure out and become 'decent' at Magician Lord too ;-)

I'd also say that I think the easier shmups to get into would be ones found in the 32-bit era imo (Saturn, PS1). I don't know what it is, but I find old school shooters much less forgiving. Enemy dances around erratically for 30-secs taking countless damage and then *bang* single superfast shot against your slow moving craft and... dead.