Modding Neo Geo X Controller?

rumbl3

In Chat With Teh Gh3ys,
Well I've never built or modded any joysticks in my life.

I really do not care for the buttons in the X controllers. So I was curious if I can just buy something like say this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japan-Sanwa...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2a274c9f0d

I also seen a video on youtube about putting in cherry switches for the joystick I believe.

Anyway just curious about the buttons as far as soldering goes I usually just take things over to my friend and he does usually A+ work.

If those buttons will not work maybe someone can point me in some direction for buttons,switches, etc and where the best place to get them.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Just remember, for the NGX controller you need to keep the controller board inside since it has the circuit for the USB so I'd recommend getting 24mm sanwa buttons opposed to seimitsus as the tabs on seimitsus are staggered and not parallel like sanwas.

rumbl3

In Chat With Teh Gh3ys,
Just remember, for the NGX controller you need to keep the controller board inside since it has the circuit for the USB so I'd recommend getting 24mm sanwa buttons opposed to seimitsus as the tabs on seimitsus are staggered and not parallel like sanwas.

So I think you answered this I just want to clear it up. What your saying is I can not switch out the joystick? I like the neo geo x but man the controller is medicore. I was thinking about doing this to the joysticks.
Some of these cherry switches and see if it helps.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
So I think you answered this I just want to clear it up. What your saying is I can not switch out the joystick? I like the neo geo x but man the controller is medicore. I was thinking about doing this to the joysticks.
Some of these cherry switches and see if it helps.

The switches would help some but the biggest problem with the stick is what I thought originally, the spring.

Here's a comparison shot of the original and the NGX stick springs. This is using a 6oz steel ball. The weaker spring is the reason for the "extra" travel on the stick when it hits the gate.

neox-spring-compare-med.jpg

crujones4life

Loyal Neo-Disciple
The switches would help some but the biggest problem with the stick is what I thought originally, the spring.

Here's a comparison shot of the original and the NGX stick springs. This is using a 6oz steel ball. The weaker spring is the reason for the "extra" travel on the stick when it hits the gate.

Holy shit. That makes so much more sense now. Dude, you are a genius and a huge asset to this community. Also, that white CMVS is SICK!

rumbl3

In Chat With Teh Gh3ys,

Awesome.
So can I buy a original neo spring and just switch them out?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Awesome.
So can I buy a original neo spring and just switch them out?

That's what I need to find out. Since they are arcade sticks, it should be a standard size. As for strength, I'd go for a 2lb(if it exists) or 3lb.

rumbl3

In Chat With Teh Gh3ys,

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

rumbl3

In Chat With Teh Gh3ys,
You can try this:

http://www.focusattack.com/seimitsu-ls-32-replacement-spring/

The AES stick was a custom LS-30 supposedly so this may work.

Cool I was just surfing that site this morning. I guess after some of us or me whoever tries some of these switches to the joystick I'll repost or fix first post to show people what parts they can use with there Neo Geo X joysticks.

I think I'll just go ahead and order from there. Go with one spring to test on my joystick and one set of 24mm sanwa buttons see what happens lol.

UPDATE: Alright I went ahead and Ordered two of the springs XI recommended to try. Figured at the price might as well get two incase it works I already have one for the other joystick. Hopefully I get lucky and they get here saturday went with USPS priority and I think its coming from PA so could very well make it here if it ships tomorrow.

Last edited:

Geoffry

Banned
If those buttons will not work maybe someone can point me in some direction for buttons,switches, etc and where the best place to get them.

rumbl3

In Chat With Teh Gh3ys,

Well I know cherry switches work which you can find on ebay. They arms just have to be chopped on them if u go to youtube there is a video about modding the controller with cherry's. My buttons and springs show up today so when I get a chance I'll report back if it works or not lol.

rumbl3

In Chat With Teh Gh3ys,
photo1_zps18fc96e7.jpg

Left the AES spring I ordered on the right is the neo geo x spring.

Sucks the AES spring is slightly longer so it will not work. I'm going to try snipping it and see what happens but guessing I'll have to order another spring or maybe I'll head over to the hardware store and take both springs with me and see what they have.

Update: Also tried the 24mm sanwa buttons and they do not work. The stem in the middle (new to this arcade part stuff) is to short and the ones on the neo geo x have a super long stem that connects to the white switch inside.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The spring is supposed to be longer. You compress it when you put it in to the stick. The one in your pic looks a little wider though.

As for the buttons, they won't attach to the board, you have to wire them up. You can remove the buttons from the board and see if the holes line up.

rumbl3

In Chat With Teh Gh3ys,
The spring is supposed to be longer. You compress it when you put it in to the stick. The one in your pic looks a little wider though.

As for the buttons, they won't attach to the board, you have to wire them up. You can remove the buttons from the board and see if the holes line up.

Yeah even with it being compressed it's to long to fit on it. The wideness was ok tho it fit perfect into the hole (not sure if it's ok to be that wide?)

The buttons i'm going to try and figure out.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Yeah even with it being compressed it's to long to fit on it. The wideness was ok tho it fit perfect into the hole (not sure if it's ok to be that wide?)

The buttons i'm going to try and figure out.

What lb spring is the one that you bought?

rumbl3

In Chat With Teh Gh3ys,
What lb spring is the one that you bought?

The one that was in your link on focus attack. So guess have to try the shorter ones if they have them. I'll order some more tonight or tomorrow. The one I ordered is to long even with it completely smashed.

OK update to this

My noob ass lol I was putting the bottom part of the joystick back together wrong. But the spring does not work because it is to wide for sure. It is big enough that it goes right over the actuator (think thats the name).

As for length still not sure if it will work or not might still be a bit to long also.

So anything anyone can recommend spring wise that is not as wide as this? http://www.focusattack.com/seimitsu-ls-32-replacement-spring/

Last edited:

rumbl3

In Chat With Teh Gh3ys,
Btw just a update finally had a little bit of time to mess with this again. When I had the stick together I think it's the actuator that is actually causing the extra click. Getting a custom one might fix the issue.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Btw just a update finally had a little bit of time to mess with this again. When I had the stick together I think it's the actuator that is actually causing the extra click. Getting a custom one might fix the issue.

It's the spring itself, since it's a weaker spring than the original it doesn't hold the actuator properly.

rumbl3

In Chat With Teh Gh3ys,
I actually handed it off to the other guy who bought it from me two days ago. But for anyone curious did not get a chance to really look at it because I was omw to meet the craiglist guy who offered me basically what the system was new lol.

But the spring from arcade paradise along with the oversized actuator fit perfect from what I could see the actuator might be a bit to tall but you could probably cut off some of it on the bottom and smooth it out bam new actuator and spring that's worth a fuck.

So anyone looking to mess with there sticks grab a spring and oversized actuator from arcade paradise and you should be good to go.