Modding Neo Geo X Controller?

MAYAman

n00b
Not that anyone cares at this point but none of this hoop jumping is necessary. The Neo Geo X and Neo Geo AES stick assembly are identical. The only difference is the X has thinner cheaper junk plastic actuator and housing for the micro switches.

I took one of my non functioning AES sticks, removed the actuator and microswitch assembly whole and moved it into the Neo Geo X stick.

I kept the Neo Geo X microswitches as after comparison with my AES switches they're pretty much identical in feel.

I used the bottom half of the AES stick as well as its slightly denser plastic. Closed it up and added my bat top to it to Finnish it off. It feels identical to my AES stick. I even left the stock buttons, they feel just like my AES buttons so don't get the complaint with those. The Sanwa buttons felt to light and small to me.

You can get broken AES sticks on Bay for pretty cheap. This was a 20 minute project and the result feels identical to my AES stick, because with the AES actuator assembly it is.

Anyway, thought I'd help those on the Web who I know still Google this to get better feel out of their NGX sticks.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Not that anyone cares at this point but none of this hoop jumping is necessary. The Neo Geo X and Neo Geo AES stick assembly are identical. The only difference is the X has thinner cheaper junk plastic actuator and housing for the micro switches.

I took one of my non functioning AES sticks, removed the actuator and microswitch assembly whole and moved it into the Neo Geo X stick.

I kept the Neo Geo X microswitches as after comparison with my AES switches they're pretty much identical in feel.

I used the bottom half of the AES stick as well as its slightly denser plastic. Closed it up and added my bat top to it to Finnish it off. It feels identical to my AES stick. I even left the stock buttons, they feel just like my AES buttons so don't get the complaint with those. The Sanwa buttons felt to light and small to me.

You can get broken AES sticks on Bay for pretty cheap. This was a 20 minute project and the result feels identical to my AES stick, because with the AES actuator assembly it is.

Anyway, thought I'd help those on the Web who I know still Google this to get better feel out of their NGX sticks.

You would have been better off putting the entire joystick assembly from the real Neo stick in the NGX stick.

MAYAman

n00b
Ummmmm, that's exactly what I did. It was simple. That's the point of my post.

MAYAman

n00b
OK, let's focus on how awesome the stick is now.

Here are a couple pics of the finished stick. Added the bat top, and the bottom outer shell from the AES stick.
Its pretty much identical now. The buttons are actually the same feel as the real thing so didn't change them.

20170123_172138_zpsysiahgfh.jpg

20170123_172159_zpsjzpvzlyd.jpg

20170123_172213_zpsfjolyuvp.jpg

Last edited: