Best affordable arcade shooter

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
PULSTAR!!!!! It's pretty decent and more akin to R-Type than most would like to think. Memorization is key to beating that game and yes I actually do like it. Just not as much as Blazing Star....and no where near as much as R-Type. But it's still a under/overrated masterpiece, depends on what side of the fence you fall over to. I agree that AF2 is good, but once again I get all over AF3, love the music and yes it's short....but the first boss on 2nd loop? Total classic I still laugh out loud when I fight it.

Haha, the mini-crack-tank? Yeah, best boss ever.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
By the way, what's everyone think a Hellfire should go for? Fuck, I know it's hard... but I can't stop hearing its music in my head.

I've seen it go around 150 USD, but that was a while ago. No idea if it's lower or higher now.

Definitely an awesome game though! I love the shot variety. I've got the PC-Engine CD version for now, which has some cool cutscenes.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
FUCK THAT GAME IS HARD!!! :mad:

That game looks and sounds so cool; but, it's just a trap to lure you in so you play it and get your ass kicked. :very_ang: / :lolz:

What's it go for: We'll, you're gonna have to find one first. It's a TOAPLAN shump that bounces off and on the shmups T25/HM list. And shmupers don't like to sell/trade their boards unless it's for something silly. :lolz:

By the way, what's everyone think a Hellfire should go for? Fuck, I know it's hard... but I can't stop hearing its music in my head.

Last edited:

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
$50-$75 Range Jamma: Strikers 1945pt1or2, Twin Cobra, Sky Shark, Raiden

The Strikers are going to feel more modern than those others.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
I'm all for Strikers, personally...

Oh, and if you go looking for something with a slightly higher budget, I think you can still find a Dragon Blaze for $150-200.

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
Best bang for your buck would have to be Raiden Fighters, you can find it for under $100 fairly often.

jambitboom

Cham Cham's Banana
I'm all for Strikers, personally...

Oh, and if you go looking for something with a slightly higher budget, I think you can still find a Dragon Blaze for $150-200.

I've just been offered Strikers at a good price, and I'm reallllly thinking about it. As for Dragon Blaze, what a fun game. That one will definitely be added to my collection one day, but for now I'm sticking to my budget ;)

jambitboom

Cham Cham's Banana
Best bang for your buck would have to be Raiden Fighters, you can find it for under $100 fairly often.

I'm definitely keeping my eyes open for this one. I feel like I'll be able to get it for $75-85 if I'm patient enough....but then again, I've been offered Strikers, so patience is hard!!

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
dont be afraid to look at lesser-known companies. Dooyong has some obscure old school shooters (got my r-shark for around $40 USD). I remember hear Afega's name being thrown around a while back. i dunno if theyre cheap, but they look cool.

moe

n00b
The most fun I've had with a cheap game has been strikers 1999... yeah, still not cheap considering its still over $100, but its not CAVE level expensive..

Chempop

Topic Creator found the answer now, turned out to be Ketsui after all. :snack:

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
Just snagged a sweet lot of PCBs off of shmups.com for $120 shipped! It had

Aerofighters 1
Strikers 1945 1
Terra cresta
Capcoms 1942

Sadly the strikers board needs a minor repair, seems one of the oscillator crystals broke off, not sure if it happened in shipping or when I was struggling to get the jamma harness on. But this set seemed like a good shmup pcb starter set and is my first shmup pcbs (if you dont count mvs carts)

Chempop

Was it 1942 or 1943? You know why I'm asking :emb:
Sucks about Strikers, hope it's fixable.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
Was it 1942 or 1943? You know why I'm asking :emb:
Sucks about Strikers, hope it's fixable.
Oh yeah its 1943, I was gonna send you a PM last night but i got distracted with the Strikers board, I'll send you a PM tonig for sure but the board seems to be working fine ;)

Attachments

• 9801653fc2b9d1b462453c543497b006.jpg
    9801653fc2b9d1b462453c543497b006.jpg
    546.4 KB · Views: 125

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
You can often find a ST-V motherboard paired with a Cotton Boomerang bootleg/repro cart for under $100 on ebay. Very solid and enjoyable cute 'em up and a good way to venture into the ST-V side of things, if you haven't' already.