Best affordable arcade shooter

jambitboom

Cham Cham's Banana
What do people think is the best arcade shooter out there for under $100?

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Assume you're referring to pcb and not console?

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
Maybe Aerofighters 1? it averages abut $40 for a clean board

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
Thunder Cross II is an awesome shooter with great music... picked mine up for $40.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Don't underestimate the awesome that is "Blazing Lazers" (TG16).
(Ok, not technically "arcade", I guess. Still worth picking up though).

Last edited:

jambitboom

Cham Cham's Banana
Assume you're referring to pcb and not console?

Yes I'm looking for a pcb

Thunder Cross II is an awesome shooter with great music... picked mine up for $40.

I haven't heard of this one I'll have to check it out!

Don't underestimate the awesome that is "Blazing Lazers" (TG16).
(Ok, not technically "arcade", I guess. Still worth picking up though).

Sadly, I lack the awesomeness of turbo graphics 16 in my life. Maybe one day.
Any STRIKERS (PSIKYO) or RAIDEN (SEIBU) arcade board are a good buy.
I'd also add some "CAPCOM" boards to that short list.
Strikers 1945 I or II
Raiden I or II

Yes these are the ones I keep hearing about but the later versions of these titles tend to push my price point. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the right price and a raiden fighters or strikers 2 is mine!

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Yes these are the ones I keep hearing about but the later versions of these titles tend to push my price point. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the right price and a raiden fighters or strikers 2 is mine!

The Raiden Fighters series are going to be over your budget as of late, but it's not uncommon to see the early Raidens and Strikers go for sub $99 even on eBay.

jambitboom

Cham Cham's Banana
The Raiden Fighters series are going to be over your budget as of late, but it's not uncommon to see the early Raidens and Strikers go for sub $99 even on eBay.

Wow Panda,

I continue to be impressed with the speed of your advice :loco:

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
:eek_2: Don't be mean. He's new. :D

Huh? Sky Shark goes for 100 or less all the time, even on lolBay. Or are you saying Sky Shark isn't newbie friendly? (perhaps confusing it with Fire Shark?)

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
aero fighters 2 is pretty cheap too.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
carrier air wing was one of my first shmup purchases, and it should be under $100. if it isn't, stay far away. strikers is better imo, but CAW had nostalgic value for me.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
+1

UN SQUADRON and CARRIER AIR WING are both great games. And props for AERO FIGHTERS I & II.

If you have a NEO board, then I'd also recommend a STRIKERS 1945 PLUS cart.

Last edited:

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
+1

UN SQUADRON and CARRIER AIR WING are both great games. And props for AERO FIGHTERS I & II.

I'd actually recommend Aero Fighters 2 for the MVS if you're going NEO. It's a cheaper cart by far.

jambitboom

Cham Cham's Banana
carrier air wing was one of my first shmup purchases, and it should be under $100. if it isn't, stay far away. strikers is better imo, but CAW had nostalgic value for me.
This is another game I hadn't heard of before this post, I'll definitely take a look at it and see where it takes me!

I'd actually recommend Aero Fighters 2 for the MVS if you're going NEO. It's a cheaper cart by far.
Sadly, I do not have a neo board :crying:
…I should probably do something about that.

MegaGraffin

Edo Express Delivery Guy

Completely agree. Price should be between 60-75 shipped to you for a Carrier Airwing PCB...While it's not a high skill game, it's got a lot of style. Can't beat Sean Connery making the cameo.

Raiden II is a decent choice but I'd say CAW is more fun.

Last edited:

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
Sadly, I do not have a neo board :crying:
…I should probably do something about that.

Well yes you should... that is the first thign you need to sort out.
It gets a bad press but I cannot recommend Aero Fighters 2 enough... a really great game.

As for other PCBs... take a look at the first Prehistoric Isle game (in 1930) as well... :)

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Well yes you should... that is the first thign you need to sort out.
It gets a bad press but I cannot recommend Aero Fighters 2 enough... a really great game.

As for other PCBs... take a look at the first Prehistoric Isle game (in 1930) as well... :)

People don't like Aero Fighters 2? Those people are idiots. I can see people being disappointed with Aero Fighter 3, because the levels are so short and it's basically just a never-ending boss battle, but I personally love that about the game. Two, though... My God, it's such a classic shooter. :) I put it just behind Strikers 1945 Plus on the system. Oh, and don't tell Panda this, but I've fallen for Pulstar. I hated it so many years ago, but I appreciate it for it's almost puzzle-game quality now. As long as you go in not expecting to beat it, and see how far you'll make it this time, I'm liking it. Aero Fighters, though, man... Smack those idiots that talk bad about it.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
By the way, what's everyone think a Hellfire should go for? Fuck, I know it's hard... but I can't stop hearing its music in my head.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
People don't like Aero Fighters 2? Those people are idiots. I can see people being disappointed with Aero Fighter 3, because the levels are so short and it's basically just a never-ending boss battle, but I personally love that about the game. Two, though... My God, it's such a classic shooter. :) I put it just behind Strikers 1945 Plus on the system. Oh, and don't tell Panda this, but I've fallen for Pulstar. I hated it so many years ago, but I appreciate it for it's almost puzzle-game quality now. As long as you go in not expecting to beat it, and see how far you'll make it this time, I'm liking it. Aero Fighters, though, man... Smack those idiots that talk bad about it.

PULSTAR!!!!! It's pretty decent and more akin to R-Type than most would like to think. Memorization is key to beating that game and yes I actually do like it. Just not as much as Blazing Star....and no where near as much as R-Type. But it's still a under/overrated masterpiece, depends on what side of the fence you fall over to. I agree that AF2 is good, but once again I get all over AF3, love the music and yes it's short....but the first boss on 2nd loop? Total classic I still laugh out loud when I fight it.