Thread: SNK vs. Capcom SVC Chaos - bootleg or not?

Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003

SNK vs. Capcom SVC Chaos - bootleg or not?

Hey,

got this one from this thread today.
    what do you think, i'm a newb but this looks like a boot for me - and i think he knew it because the seller deleted his pics after it was sold to me..

NeoGeo CMVS MV4F /w modded ArcadeStick + newstyle Stick
    Amiga 500 rev.7 incl. Pyramid Eureka 4MB FastRam + Indivision ECS; Minimig 4MB incl. ARM.
    PAL SNES, RGB-mod. N64, <3 Framemeister <3, WiiU

Капитан Борода
    You may want to bookmark http://www.mvs-scans.com/index.php/Main_Page for your reference. This reference site has scans for every legit MVS board for your comparison.

Specifically SVC Chaos is here http://www.mvs-scans.com/index.php/SVC_Chaos

Doesn't look good. Hope you can get it sorted out with the seller.

Street Hoop Star

Sad to hear that mate, but here is the original:

http://mvs-scans.com/index.php/SVC_Chaos

It's a boot alright...

Does it flash plus on the title screen?
    Quote Originally Posted by DecepticonZero View Post
    I don't know why you're white knighting this guy, couldn't you buy the North Pole and have the elves build you anything you want?

Captain Dick

What i don't get, why all the trouble with PLUS and Altera's on the boards to copy/emulate the SNK protection.
    At the time the boards were bootlegged, Mame already had the code to decrypt the C roms and extract the missing rom from the end of the C chars, everything could already be decrypted..

Instead each board i see they did some copy of the protection into an altera. Why oh why.

Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003

Quote Originally Posted by kidpanda View Post
    Does it flash plus on the title screen?
    don't own a working neogeo yet, its still somewhere on the road. hope to receive it tomorrow
    NeoGeo CMVS MV4F /w modded ArcadeStick + newstyle Stick
    Amiga 500 rev.7 incl. Pyramid Eureka 4MB FastRam + Indivision ECS; Minimig 4MB incl. ARM.
    PAL SNES, RGB-mod. N64, <3 Framemeister <3, WiiU

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy

http://www.mvs-scans.com/index.php/SVC_Chaos_Plus

It's a SVC Plus, looks exactly like #3, get your refund!

In with the real hardware, out with the bootlegs......who is this I wonder?

Don't piss off cats or you'll get the Nyanyan Uppercut!

Mayor of Southtown

Quote Originally Posted by dkarDaGobert View Post
    don't own a working neogeo yet, its still somewhere on the road. hope to receive it tomorrow
    Definitely a boot, though some people like the bootleg of that game as it gives you easy access to the hidden and boss characters. You'd probably be able to unload it here easily (to KidPanda) if it is a PLUS and you don't want it

NEST Puppet

Off the top of my head, legit English versions of SVC, MS5, SSV and KOF2003, the newest games, all labels were in light blue text with black cartridge cases. I haven't seen a legit English version of these carts in clear cases.

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitTroop View Post
    Definitely a boot, though some people like the bootleg of that game as it gives you easy access to the hidden and boss characters. You'd probably be able to unload it here easily (to KidPanda) if it is a PLUS and you don't want it
    Yes you can unload it here, but alas, I have the PLUS already
    I don't know why you're white knighting this guy, couldn't you buy the North Pole and have the elves build you anything you want?

Choi's Barber

Quote Originally Posted by kidpanda View Post
    Yes you can unload it here, but alas, I have the PLUS already
    Maybe it's the Super Plus version? I've come across a PLUS version that has about 2/3 of the bosses unlocked and a SUPER PLUS that has them all unlocked. In addition to the ones that have a clean title screen vs. ones that have PLUS flashing during the intro sequence.

Crawley's Sergeant

SvC:C/P is an odd cart.

Games desire the PLUS cart more than collectors (and vice versa) for reasons stated above.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyranix95 View Post
    SvC:C/P is an odd cart.

Games desire the PLUS cart more than collectors (and vice versa) for reasons stated above.
    That was the main reason I got that version, I'm going to play the hell out of it, not have it sit on the shelf to talk about.

Ditto here. I play that on the multicart for all the unlocked characters.

Goal! Goal! Goal!

Quote Originally Posted by Asure View Post
    What i don't get, why all the trouble with PLUS and Altera's on the boards to copy/emulate the SNK protection.
    At the time the boards were bootlegged, Mame already had the code to decrypt the C roms and extract the missing rom from the end of the C chars, everything could already be decrypted..

Instead each board i see they did some copy of the protection into an altera. Why oh why.
    Because in a MAME driver, it's possible to - in effect - 'patch' the hardware to circumvent the protection, or at the very least, emulate the protection in a manner that is completely unlike the hardware implementation.

You don't have that same ability in a cartridge - even a bootleg one - because the program ROM and the NeoGeo hardware dictate how that protection is accessed and how the results are interpreted. Depending on how that protection is implemented, you may have absolutely no other option than to emulate it (via Altera CPLD for example) without patching the program ROMs.
    --
    MV-1AX, MV1FZS,MV2?,MV4?
    - Fatal Fury, Metal Slug 1-4, Puzzle Bobble
    AES NEO-0 (3-6) w/UNIBIOS 3.1, AES?
    - Blue's Journey (EN), Fatal Fury 2 (JP), Samurai Spirits 1-3 (JP)
    NGCD CD-T01 (top loader) (JP)
    - Double Dragon (JP), Gangan (JP), KOF'96 (JP), Samurai Spirits (JP), Sonic Wings 2 (x2) (JP), World Heroes Perfect (JP)+more
    Neo Geo X (v370), Mega Pack Vol 1. (w/v500a)

Crazed MVS Addict

I have the same boot, because I don't care for SVC Chaos kits. Bought it very cheap ( around 25 dollars)from a nice member here. It plays very well.

Captain Dick

Quote Originally Posted by tcdev View Post
    Because in a MAME driver, it's possible to - in effect - 'patch' the hardware to circumvent the protection, or at the very least, emulate the protection in a manner that is completely unlike the hardware implementation.

You don't have that same ability in a cartridge - even a bootleg one - because the program ROM and the NeoGeo hardware dictate how that protection is accessed and how the results are interpreted. Depending on how that protection is implemented, you may have absolutely no other option than to emulate it (via Altera CPLD for example) without patching the program ROMs.
    From the way the original boards are set up, i always understood that the extra protection made it impossible to simply desolder & dump the S1 since it was 'inside' the C-roms.
    Tools were then built to extract the right data from the C rom, and then decrypt the C roms in the process. As i understood the Neo itself was never aware of the protection on the board, and it was totally transparant.
    I guess i am misunderstanding that we could build a working 'bootleg' of svc with unencrypted roms?

Thread Information