Post Your Recent Purchases!

Gog

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
aBumqxc.jpg

Already have the arcade PCB and PC Engine port, but wanted to try these too.

Master System Shinobi is a great port. Have you played Alex Kidd In Shinobi World? One of the best Master System games IMO.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
dcb0eca03fa5a57670e5b8dd4fb14aa6.jpg

Got these two from a member here. Two more are on the way. I’ve wanted to play strikers for some time, my multicart glitches out on it.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
While this isn't exactly a 'recent purchase', I had the opportunity to have one of my favorite posters of all time professionally framed for a very reasonable price over the holiday and just got it home a half hour ago. That museum glass is so sweet. I was too excited to even put it on the wall yet.

I LOVE IT!
2ZiFaYp.jpg

Reasonable price with museum glass?
Museum glass is expensive, but definately worth it.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Have you played Alex Kidd In Shinobi World? One of the best Master System games IMO.

I'd like to at some point. The SMS isn't a platform I have a lot of experience with. Shinobi is only my 5th SMS game, although I played a lot of ports on the Game Gear back in the day.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Shinobi is pretty great once you get over the fact that it's not really a port of the arcade game. It kinda does that Konami did with their nes games where instead of making a crap port they did something that plays to the strengths of the system. It took me a while to appreciate it but it's a great game.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Just don't play NES Shinobi. Trust me.

SMS Shinobi is my favorite version of the game. It doesn't look nearly as good as the PC Engine version but it has the melee attacks, the entire third stage, the bonus levels, and the power up system that the PC Engine doesn't.

Gohan is right that it's not a straight up port of the arcade version but it does have all the same levels which are mostly laid out in the same way.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior

SMS Shinobi is my favorite version of the game. It doesn't look nearly as good as the PC Engine version but it has the melee attacks, the entire third stage, the bonus levels, and the power up system that the PC Engine doesn't.

Gohan is right that it's not a straight up port of the arcade version but it does have all the same levels which are mostly laid out in the same way.

NES Shinobi is weak, the SMS is much better as Fami and GohanX stated above.
Try Alex Kidd in Shinobi World on SMS it is a quick playthrough, it is pretty fun.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member

Beat it today using the level select cheat to compensate for the lack of continues. Honestly, it's not horrible (not that it's good either). Going to try and 1CC it tomorrow. Should be doable. Levels are short, fewer enemies than the arcade, and regular enemies never take more than 2 hits.

Biggest bullshit is the complete lack of i-frames. Get once in the wrong situation, the enemies will gladly take out your entire lifebar before you regain control of your character. But to be fair, you have a lifebar. No more 1-hit kills like the arcade game.

SMS Shinobi is my favorite version of the game.

More than the arcade?

We'll find out. Hopefully giving it a shot tomorrow or Monday.

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Got this cool pcb holder, no more screwing things in hopefully. Well worth the $12.

Only caveat is that you need to trim a little bit off the top for it to fit vertically on a Egret II.

Horizontally it would fit but you would need a jamma extender. Additionally the sliding mechanism is tension based so putting it left to right instead of top to down opens up the chance of your board sliding out / if a piece of plastic breaks nothing to catch the pcb.

KtNPVoU.jpg

Last edited:

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
More than the arcade?

We'll find out. Hopefully giving it a shot tomorrow or Monday.

Well, I absolutely hate Shinobi on SMS. It's hot garbage. It's definitely prettier than the NES version, but that's the only good thing I think I could say for it. So, so many issues:

• The bomb power-up. Why does this exist? It significantly reduces your range and just makes the game harder.
  • Some jumps in 2-3, 4-2, and 4-3 feel like you need to be pixel perfect. They're manageable once you get use to them, but it feels unnecessary to have significantly hader jumps than any of other versions.
  • Mandara phase 1 is stricter than any of the other versions. Wasted too many attempts just to make it to and die on this asshole.
  • When you duck immediately after hitting the ground, you can still get hit as if you're standing for a brief moment even though you're visually ducking. Not a deal breaker, but feels wrong.
  • Melee attacks are super unreliable. Sometimes you'll be pointblank and still throw a shuriken. And vice versa where you are far away yet still and up meleeing.
  • 5-2 isn't even remotely fair.
I wish I could say I beat it, but I never made it past 5-2 without using the level select. And I don't really want to keep trying because it's just not fun. It's sad because with some relatively minor tweaks, it could have been much, much better.

I'd probably rank the versions I've played like this:

1. Arcade
  2. PC Engine
  3. NES
  4. SMS

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I think I've been in this hobby too long when I don't read Japanese but I already knew those were the two Last Blade games. That's a lot of good stuff there.

bigapple3am

Quiz Detective
I finally found an original marquee holder for my Aero. It needs to be cleaned, and I'm thinking about making some X-Men vs SF art for it.

arcade 2.jpg
arcade 1.jpg

Yamazaki

Belnar Institute Student
15 Year Member
drove about a 1000 miles to pick up this bad boy.

a Capcom Impress with only 6500 coin usage so far!

50301896_2289678867934033_7344705942325297152_n.jpg

embergabor

New Challenger
I recently picked up an Avermedia ER130 HDMI recorder. I want to use it for two things, record gameplay and digitize VHS tapes. This recorder is hdmi only so I decided to get an Extron DVS 204 and use my simple component to hdmi adapter with it to be able to adapt composite video. I previously used an EasyCap for this but for bad tapes with a lot of dropouts the recording cuts out and is a hassle to get right. This setup below shows the new "standalone" (PC less) setup.
VCR composite out > Extron (deinterlacing, scaling, sizing, blanking etc.) component out @576p > Component to HDMI > Avermedia
IMG_1085k.jpg
I want to try the Extron with game consoles as well, for example PS2 480i. The lack of deinterlacing on the OSSC bothers me and I could put the Extron between the PS2 and OSSC. The DVS 204 can also either normalize the refresh rates or match the input.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I got cases from customgamecases.com for my N64 games, as I got all the ones I want and wanted to show them properly because shelves.

The cases came out great, however the 2-person operation seems to be overwhelmed, as they only shipped me 26 of my 28 cases with a letter promising to ship the others (robotron and winback) as soon as they make them. They also accidentally put Zelda Master Quest in a NES case, so I emailed them.

The cases look and feel great, sturdy and bright printing quality. I just wish they were more responsive in their customer service, I'll update as needed.
3fb1503fdb11412843a26bf688e0d28d.jpg
1ce27f3f7e5edacbc73dc84e2c6ea963.jpg
96a53b78acad8daf0d8f33aecf88b914.jpg
75d7a862218015222573e8c52a12665f.jpg

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I recently picked up an Avermedia ER130 HDMI recorder. I want to use it for two things, record gameplay and digitize VHS tapes. This recorder is hdmi only so I decided to get an Extron DVS 204 and use my simple component to hdmi adapter with it to be able to adapt composite video. I previously used an EasyCap for this but for bad tapes with a lot of dropouts the recording cuts out and is a hassle to get right. This setup below shows the new "standalone" (PC less) setup.
VCR composite out > Extron (deinterlacing, scaling, sizing, blanking etc.) component out @576p > Component to HDMI > Avermedia
View attachment 52923
I want to try the Extron with game consoles as well, for example PS2 480i. The lack of deinterlacing on the OSSC bothers me and I could put the Extron between the PS2 and OSSC. The DVS 204 can also either normalize the refresh rates or match the input.

I always wondered how well that device would work converting composite sources, but not quite enough to try one. I love used Extron stuff, it's usually way cheaper than the dedicated home video equipment and often better.

Dragonlee

Zero's Secretary
Long time i havent posted but recently ive been buying up from your homeland to bring back to OZ.Most of them are project to convert back to original.:D
Here some of my purchases leaving for OZ.:keke:
IMG_E4314.JPGIMG_E4316.JPGIMG_E4317.JPGIMG_E4318.JPGIMG_E4319.JPGIMG_E4320.JPGIMG_E4321.JPGIMG_E4322.JPGIMG_E4323.JPG

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Got myself this edition (wanted it for a long time)

To replace this bad boy

It's a white spray painted purple one with cobra modchip, modified upper part (12cm. discs), blue led and a few other additions,

Of course, also got these in the past weeks.

Bonus stuff

And an off-topic one. The dog doesn't fancy me playing Metal Slug, she tries every single toy to get my attention.

Last edited: