Post Your Recent Purchases!

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
If you want to step up even higher and go for 3 or 5 you will be looking at well over $1000.
The smart money for an AES Slug is MS5. It's better than 3 and 4. 1, 2 and X will set a n00b back way too much, unless they buy a [redacted to not upset mods] edition copy.

ssjlance

Asked For Custom, Rank. Unsure If, I Can Be Bother
Typical n00b mistake, along with trying to collect homecarts.

The cheapest Slug homecart is MS4. It was roughly $275 in 2010, now you are looking at 900+ for a non faded copy. Is that really the price you want to pay for the bragging rights of owning what many consider to be the worst games in the series?

If you want to step up even higher and go for 3 or 5 you will be looking at well over $1000.

Eh. He congratulated me on my purchase, that part seemed genuine enough to me. The part about picking a good time, I can read between the lines, but hey, I get it. It's all good in this hood.

As for it being a n00b mistake to collect homecarts, that'd only be true if I didn't know what I was getting myself into. I'd have picked up a CMVS if I wanted it easy. Not like I still can't start mixing in some MVS carts in the future if the desire takes hold of me. Which it might; I may well have picked an MVS in a cabinet over an AES if I had the space.

And yeah, I'm 100% willing to get into four-digit prices for some legit Metal Slug carts, should I ever have that kinda money laying around to blow on a personal purchase. Not 4, because I have taste, and also not for bragging rights, because who's going to be impressed I spent that much money on something so trivial? People on the internet? Meh.

I just dig the history of the Neo Geo, and the homecarts are cooler to me, your story is happy end.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Most of us have been where you're at right now.

It's all advice to save time and some of your dough.

ssjlance

No doubt. I do appreciate the genuine advice, including what gum_drops added. I'm just attempting to attune myself to the forum's particular vibe. I knew I'd have fun here once the official forum FAQ told me to just roll with the punches. Heh.

Only other "hands-on" experience is a little bit with an MVS my father owned for a couple of months before gutting it to make a MAME cab; well, he gutted it, gave up after installing Linux, and I finished it up to a technically playable state (arcade monitor burned out, I replaced it with a computer monitor placed on an upside-down kitchen chair). Luckily, it was a shitty JAMMA to MVS conversion in the first place, and I imagine the board and carts (Puzzle Bobble and Street Slam, for the curious) went to a good home.

Terrible, terrible button layout. I could deal with the diamond shape instead of the arch, but they were lopsided and asymmetrical. Not that I can complain about anybody's work that much, considering I just propped a screen on a chair and called it a day.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
Only other "hands-on" experience is a little bit with an MVS my father owned for a couple of months before gutting it to make a MAME cab; well, he gutted it, gave up after installing Linux, and I finished it up to a technically playable state (arcade monitor burned out, I replaced it with a computer monitor placed on an upside-down kitchen chair). Luckily, it was a shitty JAMMA to MVS conversion in the first place, and I imagine the board and carts (Puzzle Bobble and Street Slam, for the curious) went to a good home.

That actually sounds like a really cool setup you had going there. Happen to have some pics, I always like to see what kind of inventive ways people come up with to convert cabs to MAME cabs.

ssjlance

I apparently deleted a line and can't edit posts, so I'll just add that I meant to say I wouldn't count myself as a complete noob, but yeah, this is the first time I've owned an AES. 100% not claiming expert or even intermediate knowledge, but I've kept a lustful eye on an AES for the better part of two decades and done a lot of reading in those years.

I mean, reading a cookbook doesn't make you an expert chef, but it's better than just throwing shit in a bowl and seeing what happens.

ssjlance

That actually sounds like a really cool setup you had going there. Happen to have some pics, I always like to see what kind of inventive ways people come up with to convert cabs to MAME cabs.

I wish I did. It was a good ten years ago, got sold off when I moved across the state. But yeah, it was an upside down chair with a board I placed between the legs to give the monitor a surface to rest against. There was a little converter (J-PAC, iirc) that translated the JAMMA arcade controls to a PS/2 keyboard.

Here's a real POS I posted on the crapMAME subreddit after I slapped it together because the parts were sitting around. Also count this as me getting back on topic for the thread, as it's a fairly recent purchase in the grand scheme of things; the whole reason it was made was that I was excited to find a SFIV fightstick at the local game store. Ran off a Raspberry Pi 3.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member

I thought you might get him with that one. :keke:

We have an ugly mame cab or reg cab thread.

I'm waiting for someone to pull old faithful on him. No I'm not going to warn you about this one ssj. ;)

It's too funny when done right! Now the question you have to ask yourself is...am I messing with you right now???

ssjlance

It's too funny when done right! Now the question you have to ask yourself is...am I messing with you right now???

Does it really matter? Does it really antimatter?

But, no, seriously, I appreciate a good crap MAME cab as much as the next guy, even if I've had a hand in a couple of abominations.

And no warning is fun, as long as we can have a safeword. How about NGCD?

embergabor

New Challenger
My Pi2Scart board arrived two weeks ago. First I started to mess around with my existing retropie installation but then I realized there is a preconfigured image for it so I went with that. The installation is pretty straight forward, basically plug & play. The image quality is awesome, I like it much better than the previous setup (HDMI->VGA->SLG->TFT monitor). Had some issues with audio noise (sounded like ground loop) and it turned out that the manual SCART switcher was causing it. Connected straight to the CRT the sound is fine. I also bought two cheepo USB SNES controllers for this Raspberry CRT setup.
IMG_2272.jpg
IMG_1034.jpg

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
My Pi2Scart board arrived two weeks ago. First I started to mess around with my existing retropie installation but then I realized there is a preconfigured image for it so I went with that. The installation is pretty straight forward, basically plug & play. The image quality is awesome, I like it much better than the previous setup (HDMI->VGA->SLG->TFT monitor). Had some issues with audio noise (sounded like ground loop) and it turned out that the manual SCART switcher was causing it. Connected straight to the CRT the sound is fine. I also bought two cheepo USB SNES controllers for this Raspberry CRT setup.
View attachment 47085
View attachment 47084

I'm curious about these adapter boards which output 240p RGB, the RaspberryJAMMA comes to mind! Very cool.

embergabor

New Challenger
I'm curious about these adapter boards which output 240p RGB, the RaspberryJAMMA comes to mind! Very cool.

Pi2Jamma is produced by Arcadeforge as well. I don't have the original consoles to compare to but the Pi2Scart's output is very clean and the resolution for each system is preconfigured. I tried NES, SNES, Genesis, Neo-Geo and CPS1 so far and they have all worked as expected. The only thing I had to mess around with is the emulationstation theme. There are only a few that support 320x240 resolution with legible rom names. I am currently looking for a case that this setup could fit in.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
My Pi2Scart board arrived two weeks ago. Connected straight to the CRT the sound is fine. I also bought two cheepo USB SNES controllers for this Raspberry CRT setup.

Right on. Who needs an overpriced emu-shitbox with an official logo slapped on, anyway? I know this has its guts showing, but I really like those tiny Pi setups.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Right on. Who needs an overpriced emu-shitbox with an official logo slapped on, anyway? I know this has its guts showing, but I really like those tiny Pi setups.

Yea, I like them as well. If I knew how to set one up I would prefer one of these over the nes classics.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I thought you might get him with that one. :keke:

We have an ugly mame cab or reg cab thread.

I'm waiting for someone to pull old faithful on him. No I'm not going to warn you about this one ssj. ;)

C'mon Syn, we all know the lads here love it when you Strip a Neo Cab to make it a Mame Cab.

Salvio007

Mr. Big's Thug
Yea, I like them as well. If I knew how to set one up I would prefer one of these over the nes classics.

Get at me bro!
It's real easy now, PM or call me and ill hook you up with links.
You can get it running in literally 10 minutes.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Get at me bro!
It's real easy now, PM or call me and ill hook you up with links.
You can get it running in literally 10 minutes.

You have the scart setup or the regular HDMI setup?

Salvio007

Mr. Big's Thug
I wonder if this pi2scart would work on my Blast City if i connect it to my Viletim board and use my Xbox360 jamma hack pads..

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Hdmi right now, but am working on tossing one of my PI's in my Blast City soon and checking it out.

Thanks bro, let me pick one up and I'll let you know. I really have no need for a scart one. Would like to play some goodness in my tv.

Salvio007

Mr. Big's Thug
Thanks bro, let me pick one up and I'll let you know. I really have no need for a scart one. Would like to play some goodness in my tv.

Oh well that will be super easy to set up.
You'll laugh. You can get preset 16, 32, 64 and 128 images loaded up with games ranging from atari to psx.
Gorgeous custom themes through Retropie, plus add Kodi in submenu if you like.
I setup mine to have the curved crt tube look and scanlines. It's pretty neat, gotta say.