Gauging Interest, MV1C

Kyuusaku

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I'd be interested to know what you've "worked out" in terms of the graphics engine. Is it something you've already prototyped, or is it all on paper? I don't see the point in duplicating our efforts for no good reason...
By worked out I mean the algorithms for VRAM control, evaluation, rendering etc and I've prototyped pretty efficient asynchronous logic to implement them. The synchronous logic I have is more of a guideline and will be revised when I can analyze the erratic behavior of the ASICs.

I think our design goals are pretty different; I'm using hard processors, a humble FPGA and one to two CPLD so there's 0 modularity or room for expansion. I'm working by myself currently but someone else might handle board production and distribution. If you'd like to join up I can't turn down help, come hang out on #neogeodev at freenode.

tcdev

NEST Puppet
By worked out I mean the algorithms for VRAM control, evaluation, rendering etc and I've prototyped pretty efficient asynchronous logic to implement them. The synchronous logic I have is more of a guideline and will be revised when I can analyze the erratic behavior of the ASICs.

I think our design goals are pretty different; I'm using hard processors, a humble FPGA and one to two CPLD so there's 0 modularity or room for expansion. I'm working by myself currently but someone else might handle board production and distribution. If you'd like to join up I can't turn down help, come hang out on #neogeodev at freenode.
Looking at your post history and what you've said above I can see that you're definitely well-versed in all things Neo Geo!

I'll stop polluting this thread and hopefully discuss more on freenode - thanks!

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
How popular is the memory card support likely to be? To be honest, I was not intending on supporting that at all... or at least a removable version.
Hard to say... but if you look at NeoTurfMastas projects (like NeoSafeMasta, NeoCardMasta and SaveMastaOne), there seem to be quite a few people that are into it. I'd certainly like to save my highscores to a mem card, so....

Why would you want a socketed BIOS when you can use in-system-programmable flash?
I was thinking of a new board very close to the MV1C, never thought about a flash solution... not a bad idea!

Oh and @all:
You guys are so awesome for working on this!

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
This thread is so interesting that don't deserve to be lost in the guts of the forum. Any advance on this? Is someone working on an LSPC or FPGA?

Besides of that, I got a bunch of mv1c's with good components but about to get broken by trace corrosion. I was thinking in making a board replacement, exact clone but with better quality, and move all the components from about-to-fail 1c's to this, or from jamma MV0 boards.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
A clone board with a nice thick solder mask would be good.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
The work I did for the solderless NBM was just the prelude to terror.

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
ok. Using Eagle is easy (once you know), but it must be some way to simply clean a board of components, scan it and maybe some script can translate a picture to a eagle design (?). Then just add two inner layers for GND and VCC (that's easy). Do someone here can enlighten me if there's such eagle script?

Another limitation is that eagle don't support drop shaped vias.

Any advice is welcomed.

And you, LSPC guys, what's up? ;)

Last edited:
Did anyone ever come around to doing this?

I see this thread is nearly 3 years old since the last post. Has any progress been made on a replacement motherboard, this kind of thing highly interests me.
I've been working on my own board replacement for PC-Engine systems over the last few years. Doing this on a Neo-Geo board would be pretty cool too.

Apocalypse

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Why not making a new daughter board for MV-1FZ slots to convert them from horizontal to vertical slot?
Or just replacing the 90° connectors by straight ones.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Why not making a new daughter board for MV-1FZ slots to convert them from horizontal to vertical slot?
Or just replacing the 90° connectors by straight ones.

FZ in my experience has been one of the most unreliable MVS boards.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Ok but they are inexpensive and easy to find.
What about MV-1A, MV-1AX or MV-1B ?

I made one for the 1B several years ago but never did anything with it.

ChzmAFB.jpg

I made them where you could just place them on top of the existing pins and solder down. So you dont have to remove the sockets.

Apocalypse

Edo Express Delivery Guy

I made them where you could just place them on top of the existing pins and solder down. So you dont have to remove the sockets.
That's a really good solution to me.
Inexpensive and straight forward.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Depending on the price I'd be interested in one, what I'd look for is something that delivers Stereo, Memorycard, Unibios socket, etc. out of the box. (My current MV-1B conversion is a result of great people building parts and/or helping me out with custom boards, but if that ever fails to work that's a lot of parts to get (working) again)

That's a pretty cool and straightforward way to do that.

GTRetro87

Kabuki Klasher
How would the community feel about a newly designed MV1C?

They are becoming very scarce compared to 3 years ago and a lot of the ones floating around have some major issues and a lot of them are corroded and are ticking time bombs.

The Neo-YSA2 IC is a big problem, it handles audio as well as joystick inputs. It's happening more and more with this IC. All the other ones I've never had problems with or heard of problems with them either. Instead of trying to create a replacement IC, why not just build a better mobo? The new mobo would support a memory card, trackball, mahjong controller blah blah, maybe even have a better solder mask to help prevent corrosion even better than the original and last but not least as MKL said gold contacts for the connector.

Would the community back a newly designed MV1C that would support a memory card and meet or exceed the previous model? It would have the same footprint most likely.

Discuss.

I would absolutely LOVE a new repro'd MV1C!!!

I'd back a new design if it would be better than the original, whatever works to make it last longer and be more reliable.

However, I would prefer that the new design (whether close to original or not) would have the same components *needed* to install the NeoVGA; though I'm sure mikejmoffitt will figure out a way to install it regardless.

GoodTofuFriday

New Challenger

ChzmAFB.jpg

Thats something i sure lots of people are interested in.