so the Etrian Odyssey series... (new one comes out on the 3DS shortly)

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
never played one before the other day

decided to play the 3DS demo of IV because i've reverted back into being an RPG-type gamer (a genre of gaming i haven't cared about in nearly a decade)

i had enough fun with the demo that i decided to track a copy of III on DS

i'm about 12 hours into III and i'm having a lot of fun

it's very basic and grind-heavy, but i'm having a ton of fun with the cartography aspect of the game and having to create your own map as you go along into dungeons

before i got into it i almost thought it was silly and unnecessary, but after a few hours of charting my own map i started to wonder why it wasn't something i'd ever seen/done before in a game (i don't know what other games do this but this is the first one i've played where you do)

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Etrian Odyssey is for anybody that loves the classic Wizardry gameplay.

LOVE the touchscreen map. Great way to implement a truly oldschool, pre console feel to RPGs without having to manage all that paper.

Great fucking series.

I am pumped for IV.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
If you download the demo all of your progress there can be transferred to the full game when/if you purcahse the full game. I still have lots of Fire Emblem to play before I consider buying EOIV anytime soon. To be honest I have my eyes set on Soul Hackers in April, again before I consider buying EOIV. 3DS is quietly becoming the place to be for rpg lovers.

Etrian Odyssey IV will be in stores and the eShop on February 26th.

Edit: I thought it was available today because I skimmed over a eShop update notice. But the game isn't arriving until next week. My bad.

Last edited:

nectarsis

Quiz Detective
Etrian Odyssey is for anybody that loves the classic Wizardry gameplay.

LOVE the touchscreen map. Great way to implement a truly oldschool, pre console feel to RPGs without having to manage all that paper.

Great fucking series.

I am pumped for IV.

^ This.

I prob have more hours logged into the first 3 Etrian games than most of my (at one time sizable) DS collection combined. Though it seems they are lowering the difficulty with each new iteration.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
If you download the demo all of your progress there can be transferred to the full game when/if you purcahse the full game.

that's cool

had i known that i probably would have just waited for IV

oh well... having fun regardless

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Etrian Odyssey IV came out yesterday. Just a reminder for anyone interested.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
i'm about 20 hours into III

try to slip in an hour or two before bed each night

loving the hell out of it

is so old school, grind-heavy, and challenging

it's funny how my taste in gaming has reverted back to something like this

this is the type of stuff i was playing a decade ago, and the stuff a few years ago i wouldn't think of going near, but here i am, choosing to farm harvest points for cash with my Farmer team instead of slicing giant mechanical robots into a million pieces with my badass plasma sword

Magician

20 Year Member
Famitsu scores for Soul Hackers 3DS are good but not great. In think I'll buy this instead of Soul Hackers after I'm done with Fire Emblem. Which is something I should finish before Castlevania gets here.

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
3DS is kicking major ass these days. I can take a break from these heavy RPGs for a little Mega Man 2 action.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
I definitely think the dual screen makes the DS/3ds my preferred platform to play JRPGs. I know there are great ones on the PSP, but something about it makes it not as good imo...

Now, what I hope is that the WiiU gets its JRPGs going soon. With that gamepad I could be mapping dungeons and doing inventory management while playing on the big screen HUD free. And that would be sweet.

Magician

20 Year Member
Bump

Between now and June 10th Etrian Odyssey 4 is marked down to $30 in the NA eShop.

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
Never heard of this game but it looks fantastic and I'm loving the character design.