My Story (at long last)

Greetings fellow neo-geo.com forum members. After a bit of time and several posts in other threads I can finally introduce myself. It is truly a pleasure to meet all of you.

I'm a console collector from Canada who had long wanted a Neo Geo. Aside from loving games in general, I particularly appreciate good 2D pixel artwork which no other system did better. That and I love arcades. I didn't have anything other than an old Atari 2600 and Tandy 1000 up until I got my Game Boy in 1993 when I was almost 11 so I got my real gaming in at the arcades but they soon after began disappearing.

Around 2002 I began looking into buying an arcade cabinet of my own. I initially wanted Samurai Shodown but it was still relatively expensive so I got Double Dragon instead then later also acquired the 1991 SEGA Spider-Man game. They were huge. Too huge to justify keeping so I eventually sold them which was unfortunate but I'd since considered getting an MVS cabinet so at least if I had one, it would play multiple games. I still really have no room though lol

So I weighed getting a consolized MVS but they too are a pretty hefty initial investment when it's so difficult to resist just dropping money on some rare game for my Turbografx or other system when I have enough. That and as a console collector, I had to admit the AES is pretty gorgeous and would at least still give me the true arcade experience without emulation errors or ported downgrades. I finally decided to go for the AES from a local game store which had one for sale recently with a memory card, Ninja Combat & The Super Spy included in the bundle.

I figure that I can get a few of the inexpensive AES games like Magician Lord, Top Player's Golf, Baseball Stars Professional, perhaps Cyber Lip if I can find a reasonable price etc then track down an adapter to play games which are only feasible via MVS. I know the adapters themselves can be expensive & they can cause some errors but at least I'd have those too should I ever get that full cabinet. I have to say that in any case, I'm really excited to finally own one and to be here where I can learn all about it.

My AES console could use a bit of a tune up and I always appreciate tips on building my initial collection without being gouged by eBay, I enjoy hearing about the history of games and the hidden gems that may have gotten lost within it. This forum seems like the perfect place for me to find out about these things and more. I also know a few things myself about other platforms from my time collecting so I hope that in return, I may be able to provide relevant posts to things people here may be interested upon.

See you all around.

Wookiemeat

Super Spy Agent
20 Year Member
Welcome nothing wrong with mixing AES and MVS for financial reasons.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Welcome fellow "mixer". I recommend sticking close to MVS. Homecarts are pretty, but mostly serve as shrines to a few (barely) affordable favorites.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Welcome to the forums my friend, please send Pulstar MVS cart to Panda Island, Attn: Kidpanda. Sorry, those are the rules :P

Thanks guys! Mixing for financial reasons gets the job done on a lot of things: games, booze, breeds of cats, etc. Also your cart is in the mail KP, I just hope they don't accidentally deliver it to Skull Island. They look so much alike if you don't know how to spot the ears.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
Welcome to the forums my friend, please send Pulstar MVS cart to Panda Island, Attn: Kidpanda. Sorry, those are the rules :P

Stop using these boring n00b welcome threads as a platform to increase your post count and attain more pulstar carts. You are better than this . . .

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Stop using these boring n00b welcome threads as a platform to increase your post count and attain more pulstar carts. You are better than this . . .

Im going to punch you in the throat. AND take your Pulstar.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Better watch out, Chrisr is prophesied to rise again and reclaim Pulstar for the faithful.

Those are the lies of the heretics. Panda is Pulstar god.... here is proof...

vadsa1.jpg

Long live Pulstar!

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Everything from 3-CountPulstar to ZuPaPulstar!

Thanks! Just got back from my first kijiji Neo Geo grab. Got Top Player's Golf because I figured it wouldn't be often that I won't require games mailed to me and I like buying in person. They also had Nam 1975 but wanted 30 without the case & manual.

While not unreasonable I could get it with both for not much more so passed. I've been looking around different prices of different games and have found a good handful under $100 each that I'd like. Having a new collection to build will be lots of fun :)

and everyone here has been really helpful.

firebrand

New Challenger
That is cool but also very sad. I still know people who are having trouble finding that game and here lies a horde... Had I not lucked into a minty kit for my collection I would be even more appalled than I am right now.

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
That is cool but also very sad. I still know people who are having trouble finding that game and here lies a horde... Had I not lucked into a minty kit for my collection I would be even more appalled than I am right now.

its a photoshopped image :P

firebrand

New Challenger
Ha!!!! So it is! This lug was duped, should have looked at it closer. Emmmmbarrrassed :tickled: