Shmups in a barcade - The 1up (Denver Colorado)

exidy

New Challenger
egretx2.jpg

Ok so im new to the forum, but have been into shmups since the 80s and an avid collector of them since 97. I help run a barcade in Denver called the 1up and wanted to say that starting this next month im going to place a shooter there (of my choice) and have at least one there from now on. If the game does well, I plan to push for more as well as possible tournaments.

I wanted to hear some recommendations from you guys for our first shmup to be placed at the barcade.

original post is on Shmups but id like to hear every ones opinions.

thanks!

Jon

Short Video of our place:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56eO--dynRc

Join us on Facebook at:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-1up/187098864646679?fref=ts

Last edited:

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Jon - put out that DOJ Tamashi you got from me at some point! I'm pretty sure it would be the first/only one on location in the U.S.

I really need to make a pilgrimage out to Colorado to see your arcades at some point soon.

exidy

New Challenger
Collin, im going to make a list of all recommendations and pick one.
Im sort of leaning towards 19xx or raiden fighters II at first then gradually putting more hardcore stuff in there.

Jon

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
Very cool!

I used to loan/lease my PCBs to a local arcade when I lived in Alabama. Out of all of the shmups I put on location (about 20, including Doj), Donpachi brought in the most revenue.

Strikers 1945 II was a close second.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Very cool!

I used to loan/lease my PCBs to a local arcade when I lived in Alabama. Out of all of the shmups I put on location (about 20, including Doj), Donpachi brought in the most revenue.

Strikers 1945 II was a close second.

I think Donpachi and Strikers are more accessible games for casual arcade play, but can be great for hardcore play as well.

Wookiemeat

Super Spy Agent
20 Year Member
Guwange! Speaking of which I'm sure Panda was going to give me his board for my loose Megadrive Altered Beast cart I have!

Wookiemeat

Super Spy Agent
20 Year Member
Cheers Panda forgot to mention my PAL Altered Beast cart has the label scratched off and the sound doesn't work but its a genuine cart, sure you won't mind.

jambitboom

Cham Cham's Banana
Hey,

I'm new around here myself, and even newer to shooters, so feel free to disregard this if it doesn't make sense to you.

So I am your quintessential idiot who decided that I should start out with hard shooters. I'm not going to lie to you, there were times when it was depressing, and I wasn't paying money for it. I think that a shooter in your barcade is an awesome idea, but I'd think about making sure that its difficulty doesn't scare away new players. As far as what game that might entail, well, I'll leave that one to the aficionados.

-Joe

Wookiemeat

Super Spy Agent
20 Year Member
Panda u posted my Guwange yet?

I want tracking details u lazy furrball!

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
I think a recent Raiden would get some attention/interest, and they're accessible to casual gamers.

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
I've been meaning to make it down to 1up, making it a top priority now.

If you ever need to get rid of your E2s. Let me know :lolz:

Last edited:

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Any popular title published by one of these companies.

1. CAPCOM*
2, PSIKYO
3. SEIBU*

*And opt. for a STEREO setup if possible.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
You could put Sai Dai Ou Jou in a cab and your average customer who's going to plunk in a few credits will say "LOL I remember this game, OLD SchOOL!".

I don't think nostalgia or accessibility is going to make people pay money to play shmups over other games.

You might as well cater to the few people who give a shit, and have something that appeals to you, or to a niche demographic.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Where have you been all my life!! I must cone visit and give you my money. Are you taking any voluntary work as I am very good at IT and CC security...

GAMEFAN

supergrafx77

War Room Troll
Raiden, Strikers, .... are old games that sit in some run-down malls, never to be played.

A lot of the mainstream has now played CAVE on their iPhones. The shmup area will attract with a "CAVE EASY INSTALL."

I'd put Deathsmiles in one ($350 board) and $350 mushihimesama futari pcb in the vertical. This would please the crowd, DDP Saidaioujou would please me.

Last edited:

Starfire

n00b
I'd say something like Donpachi also, something a bit different from the standard 19xx's etc.

supergrafx77

War Room Troll
@Exidy

BTW, are those your EIIs or 1up's? I have an Egret II (currently Espgaluda II board installed), and sometime sooner than later want to move back to Denver (as I was born there), etc... When I make the move, I'm going to eventually ship my Egret II down there as well. Thought maybe if there is a possibility to put my Egret II in this arcade w/ provided board to get a percentage of the coin feeds perhaps?

Ssturtle

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Fast Striker especially since now there going to be offering coin op support.
I can guarantee there won't be many places that will have that game in there arcade.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I want to visit 1up so bad.

The only place I got to play fast striker in the arcade was at southtown in San Francisco, which is no more.