Neo Geo X Controller Mod

lopezoa69

Kuroko's Training Dummy
So, I spent most of today working on modding a neo geo x controller. I'm happy to report that I was able to scavenge parts from an old neo geo aes controller (stick and buttons) and modded the neo geo x with a db15 cable, installed the original aes stick, installed buttons and performed princess mod and got rid of the USB cord. The result is pretty good as you can see below. Cool to have that brand new look on it but the feel of the old neo geo aes controller! :glee:

c72000478da089d35c00318bc687bc1f_zpsc726f978.jpg

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Nice job on the princess stick. Must have been way easier with the extra pin for +5v.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Neo Geo X Controller Mod

So, I spent most of today working on modding a neo geo x controller. I'm happy to report that I was able to scavenge parts from an old neo geo aes controller (stick and buttons) and modded the neo geo x with a db15 cable, installed the original aes stick, installed buttons and performed princess mod and got rid of the USB cord. The result is pretty good as you can see below. Cool to have that brand new look on it but the feel of the old neo geo aes controller!
Why did you need to mod the Neo Geo X stick? Is the build quality of the stick not as good as the original AES stick? If the X uses similar parts to the original stick, then hopefully after enough use it will have the smoother feel of an old stick. I found with the Neo Geo Stick 2 it was stiffer than my old AES sticks. Which was probably true of the original AES sticks, when they were new.
If you're going to mod a Neo X stick, why not use a LS-32 or JLF etc. and OBSF-24 buttons? That way you wouldn't be messing with an original AES stick (by taking the buttons and the stick out), and you'd have a Neo X stick with better control.

Last edited:

lopezoa69

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Why did you need to mod the Neo Geo X stick? Is the build quality of the stick not as good as the original AES stick? If the X uses similar parts to the original stick, then hopefully after enough use it will have the smoother feel of an old stick. I found with the Neo Geo Stick 2 it was stiffer than my old AES sticks. Which was probably true of the original AES sticks, when they were new.
If you're going to mod a Neo X stick, why not use a LS-32 or JLF etc. and OBSF-24 buttons? That way you wouldn't be messing with an original AES stick (by taking the buttons and the stick out), and you'd have a Neo X stick with better control.

I did it because I could :)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If it is an actual arcade style stick you just need to use a flat head screwdriver on the bottom of the shaft and twist the ball.

aaluis

n00b
and modded the neo geo x with a db15 cable, installed the original aes stick, installed buttons and performed princess mod and got rid of the USB cord

How did you got rid of the usb cord and installed a db15 cable?

Thanks in advance!

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Likely he discarded the original board and wired a DB15 using the NeoGeo controller pinout.

I know this is an old thread but if you're like me and have very busted looking controllers. The Neo Geo X controller shell is an exact model and fits the AES buttons, stick and start & select buttons and boards perfectly. It's a cheap alternative to having a like new looking controller.