The Witcher 3

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Played the sequels, just couldn't get into them. I doubt this one will be different for me.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
CDP is probably my favorite PC game studio right now. I love their independence and their friendly attitude towards consumers. It was great to hear them say they didn't want a major publisher telling them what to do with the game. Suits that try to determine what audiences will like are all about money, which is understandable so I don't 'hate' them for it or anything, but for my needs as a Witcher fan, I am much happier knowing the guys developing the game are going to stay true to the vision and theme rather than try to bend it into something unnatural just to make some more cash. A better way for them to make more money is to develop for all four major platforms, IMO. Expose a broader audience to what they have to offer.

I was very encouraged to hear that they are going to focus on world exploration and being able to freely travel where you want to. The only thing I didn't like about the second game was that when you advanced to the next chapter, you could never go back. A couple of times, I wanted to create some new items but because I'd moved on from a particular zone, the mats I needed weren't available. I'm intrigued by the concept of 'monster hunts' and am wondering how it will differ from the contracts.

They mentioned that the game won't be as intrigue heavy as Witcher 2. I wonder if it'll have more of the tone of the first game in this respect, but play more like the second. I rather liked all the politics of part 2, but can understand if they need to scale that back a bit so they can finish Geralt's story. All too often, Geralt was subject to the whims of a land in turmoil, and it's a bit more empowering to be free of all that or to stand outside of it, rather than be pitted against one faction or another.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
SO CDP-R has released a statement on their plans for The Witcher 3:

CD Projekt RED has officially announced the title of their next upcoming game: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Further, they've announced that this, the ultimate game in the series, will also be the final Witcher game from the studio. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt combines CD Projekt RED's trademark decision-based storytelling flair with a living open world larger than any other in modern RPG history.

"The captivating and nonlinear story of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt takes place in a rich, truly open world environment. A world which is thrilling to explore, full of daring adventures, momentous quests, memorable characters, and unique monsters. Players will freely travel through woods, lakes, mountains, cities, and villages. Each region is inhabited by distinct populations with their own customs, legends and problems. The world of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is 30 times bigger than The Witcher 2," said Adam Badowski, head of the studio.

"Imagine playing a dark fantasy game with the same great nonlinear story as in the previous Witcher titles, but now told in a world you can explore freely with no artificial boundaries. The war-ravaged world is so huge that to reach further places you will need to ride a horse or sail a boat to get there. A world where your choices have truly epic consequences. From the development side, this goal is extremely demanding. Our team had to make significant design changes and our tech had to be rebuilt. But we believe that this will lead to a completely new level of nonlinearity and a whole new, richer gaming experience. As a gamer, I would love to play this kind of RPG and I think this is what many players are waiting for. This is our dream come true at CD Projekt RED, and we hope it will be the same for you!" adds Badowski.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is the final episode of the award-winning RPG series and the last part of the legend of Geralt of Rivia. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is the most robust and breathtaking game ever created by CD Projekt RED. Open world free-roaming exploration is an adventure in itself as the player will gallop through war-ravaged lands, sail misty waters and track down dangerous beasts for money. An improved combat system will allow players to feel like a real monster-hunter, a witcher who uses his superior senses and fighting skills to survive in a dark fantasy world--while he embarks on a quest to save his loved ones. The new core mechanics of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt immerse the player in the experience completely, with no Quick Time Events, only intuitive RPG gameplay.

Badowski continued, "People may ask if this is really going to be the last Witcher game. Yes, it is. Why? Because we believe that we should end the series on a high note. Technology has progressed to where we can finally tell the story the way we want, with the visuals we want, in the world we imagined. This will be the ultimate fantasy RPG experience, and while we're hardly out of stories to tell, we believe it's time for us to look to new worlds and new horizons to keep pushing the boundaries of what we can create."

For all of those who have never experienced the adventures of Geralt before, this will be their last chance. The game will be accessible all players--those who are fans of the series and those who just love RPGs--thanks to availability on all major high-end platforms and an introduction designed to smoothly introduce all those who visit the world of the Witcher for the first time."

The game will be released in 2014 simultaneously on all high-end platforms. Making use of the same remarkable art direction from The Witcher 2 combined with the support of in-house technology--the recently-announced RPG-oriented REDengine 3--The Witcher 3 will take full advantage of the technical capabilities of modern hardware and will set a new standard for RPG visuals.

If the paragraph I have boldfaced comes to pass and all of CDP-R's ambitions are realized when the game streets, I have a hard time believing this will be anything less than the greatest video game ever made. They are really aiming high here.

30 times as big as Witcher 2? With the ability to freely roam throughout the entire world without chapter based borders? And different cultures for each region?

And it's not a MMO?

This is bold. Really bold. I like it. They are baring their fangs here. I really hope they pull it off.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
I do love open world games. The Witcher 2 felt pretty large to begin with. Now W3 will be that much larger? This game should be a treat.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
A smart move. The series has enough notoriety at this point that CDP could probably move some units for it. Simultaneous release for both this and Cyberpunk could really fill their coffers.

If that happens, I hope they stay gold.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Damn, that footage looks great.

My only hope for the game is that they will implement a fixed camera for combat a la Dark Souls. It's my only gripe with The Witcher 2's mechanics.

I've heard the combat will be more active in this one, where you are can be effective initiating action rather than waiting to counterstrike. The Witcher 2's combat was more like Assassin's Creed, where you did the most damage waiting for openings but it wasn't as polished as AC's fighting engine.

The fast travel and modes of travel (horse, boat, etc.) are intriguing additions. If this game is going to be as huge as they say, I'm interested to see how these things will be implemented.

it's also nice to hear Geralt's voice at the end of the trailer. I'm very glad they didn't change his voice. Not that I'd expect them to hire someone else, as CD-P is basically a studio of talented superfans and that stuff matters to people like them/us.

Lastly, I just read that character and story data from the PC version of The Witcher 2 will transfer and have an effect in The Witcher 3. I love when devs do stuff like that. It was the same way with the Witcher 2 importing character data from The Witcher, and it actually affected the story in that during Act 3 of 2, the Knights of the Flaming Rose treated you according to how you got along with them in the first game. In the Xbox version, the default was that they were hostile to you, but it was possible to be on good terms with them in the PC version depending on uyour TW 1 data. Helped for avoiding fights and gathering info.

I think I'm most excited about the ability to visit any part of the world in the forthcoming game. I hated being closed off from farming certain monsters in The Witcher 2 if I advanced the story.

Right now, this is my most anticipated game of 2014.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Looks pretty mature with a dark storyline...might be okay.

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
The world looks amazing, but the character models and faces look much the same as in the Witcher 2. I don't mind, it's still going to be amazing, but I was expecting a littler bit more in that department.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
People that were hands on with the demo said that the facial detail was pretty much the same, but added that the characters' eyes were very expressive and that body language and general mannerisms were dictated by eye contact to help give some extra life to interactions.

Looks pretty mature with a dark storyline...might be okay.

No multiplayer/social element, so this is pure homocave material.

Last edited:

Magician

20 Year Member
It's an all-CG trailer, but it's awesome none the less.

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
I've watched this trailer at least three times and I still can't get enough.

Magician

20 Year Member
Bump

An IGN interview that talks about how CDProjektRED have already "maxed out" the PS4 and XBone versions of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

"It is extremely manageable. There is a lot of power in these machines, and I don't want to say we're using them to their capacity, but we're fairly close to doing so. We made a decision to go next-gen roughly two and a half years ago, so we've spent a lot of time with these machines, and it's been a great experience across all three platforms. On the old platforms, namely the Xbox 360 and PS3, we probably would have had to sacrifice nearly half of our vision." -Marcin Iwinski

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/23/the-witcher-3-new-details-to-blow-your-mind

Last edited:

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I'm stoked for this! Also, slightly OT but also by CDProjektRED... have you seen this yet?

Magician

20 Year Member
Last edited:

Magician

20 Year Member
Bump

Official release date for The Witcher 3 is February...2015.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Bump

Official release date for The Witcher 3 is February...2015.

I'm good with it. I want to play the game, but CD Projekt has always been a 'fans first' type of company and if they're saying it needs to be delayed, I have every confidence it's because they want to make the game better so we will all enjoy it that much more.

Of course, there's a lot of hype for this game so I'm sure they want accolades and good reviews to help boost sales, too. They've made a bold promise on the open world expansiveness and people will be watching how this turns out so I can understand them wanting to put their best foot forward.

All in all, they should take as much time as they need to make the best Witcher game they can. To be honest, I wouldn't want anything less. I have tones of games to play between now and then anyway:D

Magician

20 Year Member
Bump

Smoking hot new trailer. Official release date is now February 24th.

Magician

20 Year Member
IGN posted a new 37 minute gameplay video.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I am really excited for this game! Will get it on PC most likely.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Already got it prepaid through Gog.com with Beta access to the PC version of the board game and got a nice discount for entering my product keys for the first two games.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I had to skip the the last game because the US version was region locked and I only have a japanese 360 (shame it was never released on the PS3), but I'll definitely be getting this one.