Daytonausa's MVS & Naomi Build Thread

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
I'm making this build thread for two systems I'll be working on. First, I'm consolizing my 2 Slot MVS. First time I've actually gone through with it, so I can't wait.

Second, I'm consolizing my brand new Sega Naomi! I CAN'T WAIT.

Here's a list of stuff on the MVS side of things that are done:

MV2F 2 Slot MVS.
Battery replaced
Board cleaned.. nice bright green, no dirt/dust anymore
Neo Geo CD controller (yes, I kinda prefer these..)

The following games:
161-in-1 banana cart
Waka Waka 7 cart

Naomi side of things:
Naomi motherboard with G Bios
512mb net DIMM
CF adapter
standard non-arcade power mod complete

The following games:
Akatsuki Blitzkampf Auf Asche
Capcom vs SNK 2 Millionaire 2 2001
Dead or Alive 2 Millenium
Guilty Geat XX Slash
Ikaruga
Jingy Storm - The Arcade
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Melty Blood Actress Again
Mobile Suit Gundam - Federation vs Zeon DX
Project Justice - Rival School 2
Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper
Toy Fighter
Virtua NBA
Virtua Tennis

Last edited:

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Here is the MV2F:

mvsbi.jpg

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
GL on consolizing the Naomi! I thought about doing it as well, but I'll take a Dreamcast any day.

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Thanks. Haha, well I have enough Dreamcasts to choke a horse! Definitely don't need another. I have more REV 0s than I know what to do with.

But there's some unique exclusives on the Naomi that I just can't wait to play again.. ones I really miss playing. I think it'll be kinda cool to have it near it's DC brothers :).

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Got a picture of the Naomi so far. The DIMM is a net version, and it had a security chip installed. SD card adapter, 15 games on SD cards. Now we just need to get this working on a standard TV and get a arcade joystick modded to function with it. At the very least the power supply is ready:

photokvc.jpg

Last edited:

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
First up, I scrubbed down the Naomi. It looks great now, no more scuffs on the main body:

imagezmcp.jpg

image1jin.jpg

Second, and arguably more exciting, I got a Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 joystick for the Naomi. I'm keeping the grey Sanwa joystick on it. It has an octogon restricter plate, which I greatly prefer to square. I'm replacing the buttons to be orange (with black rim) Sanwa buttons, and replacing the start/select with clear grey/black Sanwa buttons. I'm replacing the faceplate with a custom white one that will be etched with a design and the Naomi logo. The turbo buttons on the top left will be removed, and the new faceplate will cover that area up (won't be cut out) as well as the two buttons on the right that are covered since I won't be using them. It's hard to describe, but it's going to look amazing. Then it'll be wired to work with the Naomi.

kgrhqzqyfdkivbvsbrcjgun.jpg

kgrhqjhifedyhsr8brcjoeq.jpg

largebutton.png

smallbuttone.png

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
A small update:

Got an IO board for the Naomi. This will make any standard 15 pin controller worth with the system, including my custom joystick I'm making or my neo geo cd controller.

kgrhqvhjewegreuhpbbqffj.jpg

leonk

Marked Wolf
TIP: For that Sega I/O board, it will not detect coin 1 / coin 2 unless it detects a coin counter attached! There have been some folks around that fooled it by attaching the coin counter wire to 3V via a resistor. Need to dig up the exact values. You can always setup the game for free play as well. :)

Also, for Video out from the Naomi. There's no need to feed the video into that I/O. You can run the video from the Naomi right into the TV (unless you want to use the video wires on the jamma harness)

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
TIP: For that Sega I/O board, it will not detect coin 1 / coin 2 unless it detects a coin counter attached! There have been some folks around that fooled it by attaching the coin counter wire to 3V via a resistor. Need to dig up the exact values. You can always setup the game for free play as well. :)

Also, for Video out from the Naomi. There's no need to feed the video into that I/O. You can run the video from the Naomi right into the TV (unless you want to use the video wires on the jamma harness)

Thanks for letting me know this. I'll probably just have the games run free play. I appreciate the help. It's a learning process, but it'll be fun.

leonk

Marked Wolf
Found the info. The sega io version 1 requires a coin counter connect for coin insert to work. You can fake it by installing a wire to a 5V source through a 100K ohm resistor to on coin counter pin on the JAMMA harness.

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Found the info. The sega io version 1 requires a coin counter connect for coin insert to work. You can fake it by installing a wire to a 5V source through a 100K ohm resistor to on coin counter pin on the JAMMA harness.

Cool, thanks!

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Got my etched Naomi joystick cover in. It was drilled with only 6 buttons and obviously with no turbo button/PS button area. The Naomi logo and a little design with the Sega logo were etched in the acrylic. It's a subtle effect that I think will look really classy once the orange/black and grey/black buttons are installed.

photo2uw.jpg

photo1arr.jpg

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Ok, I wired everything together, and did a quick assembly (not screwed together, but the wiring and buttons are installed. Looks good. I need to find something of the same color metal or something silver to put behind where the two buttons and turbo button areas used to be as you can see through the white acrylic. Other than that, I love the look! I think it looks very Naomi/Dreamcast like in presentation. Can't wait till this project is complete! And I love the Sanwa buttons and joystick!

photo1ka.jpg

photo2sum.jpg

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
That stick is looking really good

Thanks! I toyed around with the idea of using clear acrylic for the faceplate, like most people do, with some art underneath, but I felt this was a cleaner, and more unique approach that would better match it to the Naomi system's color scheme. It should be up and running shortly. I honestly can't wait to use this!

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
which sanwa joystick?

Can't help you there to be honest with you. As you can see, the joystick is the only thing left over from the original layout of the modded Hori stick I bought.

I will say this, it doesn't appear to have a flat metal mounting plate like the ones on eBay. It has one that's bent. If looking at it from the side, it looks like this:

_------_

I didn't bother taking it off to install the faceplate, as quite honestly with you, I didn't need to. I just took the ball off and slid the faceplate over the stick. If I had to guess, this one looks similar.

http://www.gremlinsolutions.co.uk/gremimages/JLF-TP-8Ssuper.jpg

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
The Naomi is sold, but it's ok! The MVS is done! It's been a long process, but I'm in love with it and having a blast. Check out the pics below. I sanded the whole casing, got the 1_2 cart slot pics off the casing along with all the rust, and sprayed it with several layers of a satin Krylon paint meant for BBQ grills. I also got some nice steel lifters for the unit which match the other steel switches and nuts and screws. Enjoy:

photo5be.jpg

photo4uc.jpg

photo3sau.jpg

photo2yvd.jpg

photo1oia.jpg

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Carbon wrapped the top of it and added an accent pinstripe to it. Been playing it a ton, and having a blast.

photocff.jpg

duo_r

Armored Scrum Object
Sweet looking MVS! Is there anywhere to get a replacemt metal cover from?

Also how do you like the multi cart and where did you get yours from?

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I personally bought my 161 in 1 cart from hollandcomputers

I've also never seen a place to just buy the cover.

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Yeah, can't say I know where to just get the cover. Sorry man. Glad you guys like it. I redid the carbon fiber. I laid it on wrong. You have to use heat and squeegie it as you go, unlike car vinyl, which is all I'm used to laying. I redid it and found some 3d chrome lettering that looks nearly like the SNK font. Added a player 1 and 2 indicator.

I went to my dad's place and played it for hours. We especially had a great time with Neo Turf Masters. Freakin fun game. Really brought us together with a gaming machine for the first time since the N64, which is the last time he really sat down to play a game. Here are the final pics:

photo12uz.jpg

photo32yd.jpg

photo42y.jpg

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Oh, and I just picked up a really nice, nearly mint condition JVC broadcast monitor. No burn in or anything. Just sold the LCD tv I was using with it. Looks much better.