Robo Aleste better than MUSHA?

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Wish Musha was available for a reasonable price (physical release), I ended up settling for the Wii Virtual Console version. Robo Aleste only cost me $20 or so.

Probably not fair to bring PCE shmups into the discussion though, otherwise I'd have to bring up Nexzr.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Wish Musha was available for a reasonable price (physical release), I ended up settling for the Wii Virtual Console version. Robo Aleste only cost me $20 or so.

Probably not fair to bring PCE shmups into the discussion though, otherwise I'd have to bring up Nexzr.

I find Nexzr soul-crushingly difficult whenever I play it. I need to take the time to really learn it.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Non related in series but by the same developer Space Megaforce aka Super Aleste is pretty awesome. Kind of a spiritual sequel to Blazing Lasers.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
Non related in series but by the same developer Space Megaforce aka Super Aleste is pretty awesome. Kind of a spiritual sequel to Blazing Lasers.

I need to play Power Strike 2, but I'll take MUSHA over Robo any day of the week.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
I really like Robo Aleste but I haven't played MUSHA much. I should snag it on the virtual console and give it a shot.

Robo Aleste is just such a clean-looking game that actually takes advantage of some of the Sega-CD's hardware features. Not to mention it's a Compile shooter (need I say more than that?) It's one of the best reasons to get a Sega/Mega CD IMO.

My favorite Compile game, actually, is the Guardian Legend/Guardic Gaiden. Golvellius-inspired exploration compined with competent vertical shmup levels and a solid presentation? Yes, please.

kaicer

Crazed MVS Addict
MUSHA is overrated is good but there are better, Robo Aleste is nice too.

BlueBMW

New Challenger
Ill put myself in the MUSHA >>>> Robo Aleste camp. Though as some have mentioned... Spriggan is phenomenal and seems to be in the same vein as the aleste games.

And since it was mentioned... Nexzr >>>> all

BotzaBrand

n00b
Musha. Overall more fun and inviting to casual and non shooter players. Robo Aleste is great, but more traditional

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I'm in the minority and i haven't played them in a while but:
Space Megaforce>Robo Aleste (good game and a reason to play my CDX>MUSHA

It may have something to do with the fact that I own physical copies of the first two and have only played an emulated version of MUSHA though.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Sorry to necro this, but on a slightly related note - Spriggan or Spriggan Mark 2?? I am considering one of them for my next PCE purchase.

On the topic of this thread MUSHA rules, (VC release bc I am not rich) and I have not played Robo Aleste, yet.

Sorry to necro this, but on a slightly related note - Spriggan or Spriggan Mark 2?? I am considering one of them for my next PCE purchase.

On the topic of this thread MUSHA rules, (VC release bc I am not rich) and I have not played Robo Aleste, yet.

Well that's an easy question, Spriggan. Mark 2 can't even sit at the same table as the first one.

SuperDeadite

Zero's Tailor
MUSHA>ROBO for sure.
For the series itself, Aleste 2 is my favorite. The game is total insanity. If you play the game the proper way, (boot from the intro), even the stage 1 midboss will seriously kick your ass. (If you boot the game from the game disk and skip the opening it plays in easy mode). Note that Aleste 2 and Power Strike II are completely different unrelated games.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I prefer Space Megaforce to MUSHA. Many SNES shooters are poor - see: Thunder Spirits - but SM has great replay value, no slow down, excellent graphics and sound, and is exciting to play. Never tried Robo Aleste. Will fix that when I find one for a decent price. I also need to try MUSHA on hard.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Many SNES shooters are poor - see: Thunder Spirits -

Most SNES shooters are not poor. There simply isn't a lot of cream within a small crop. Especially when compared to GEN/MD and PC-Engine libraries.

Also, saying Thunder Spirits sucks/is representative of the "poor" SNES shooter library has become both a cliched and baseless claim.

It's a title very atypical from most SNES fare. It was a Mega Drive game, ported over to the arcade (Thunder Force AC), ported to the SNES. In 1991.

No surprise it's funky/wonky compared to the original Thunder Force III.

In general, 16 bit console shooting games can be like made for TV movies. More often than not, you're not going to see the best the genre has to offer.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
The graphics look pretty impressive, but the music sounds neutered.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
It looks like a Time Attack mode of some sorts.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Most SNES shooters are not poor. There simply isn't a lot of cream within a small crop. Especially when compared to GEN/MD and PC-Engine libraries.

Also, saying Thunder Spirits sucks/is representative of the "poor" SNES shooter library has become both a cliched and baseless claim.

It's a title very atypical from most SNES fare. It was a Mega Drive game, ported over to the arcade (Thunder Force AC), ported to the SNES. In 1991.

No surprise it's funky/wonky compared to the original Thunder Force III.

In general, 16 bit console shooting games can be like made for TV movies. More often than not, you're not going to see the best the genre has to offer.

You can count the great SNES ones using one hand: Axelay, UN Squadron, Space Megaforce, R-Type 3...

I own about 20 SNES shmups. Besides the above, the average quality is terrible. Weak graphics, sound, and gameplay abound. Yes, Thunder Spirits is an extreme example. You shoot and it slows down! But it doesn't take much to experience horrific slowdown on many SNES shmups, eg. Super R-Type, Gradius III. This seriously detracts from otherwise good games and makes average ones unbearable.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
You can count the great SNES ones using one hand: Axelay, UN Squadron, Space Megaforce, R-Type 3...

I own about 20 SNES shmups. Besides the above, the average quality is terrible. Weak graphics, sound, and gameplay abound. Yes, Thunder Spirits is an extreme example. You shoot and it slows down! But it doesn't take much to experience horrific slowdown on many SNES shmups, eg. Super R-Type, Gradius III. This seriously detracts from otherwise good games and makes average ones unbearable.

What is weak gameplay for a shooter? What are weak graphics? Clearly, you don't know what you're talking about. Whatever.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
What is weak gameplay for a shooter? What are weak graphics? Clearly, you don't know what you're talking about. Whatever.

This.

In the same post, dude says that R•Type snes is one of the greats on the system; while lines later, mentions the horrid slowdown.

o_O

We won't be inviting *somebody* to the mansion, this thxgvng.

As far as SteamHearts goes: 9080, Windows 3.1, Saturn, or PC-E? Edumacate me-pls.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

Obviously, gameplay and graphics are subjective. I named 4 SNES shmups that I think are great. They have strong replay value and make good use of the console's technical capabilities. Most SNES shmups are by-the-numbers affairs that remain on the shelf.

In the same post, dude says that R•Type snes is one of the greats on the system; while lines later, mentions the horrid slowdown.

Super R-Type and R-Type 3 are different games...

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Obviously, gameplay and graphics are subjective. I named 4 SNES shmups that I think are great. They have strong replay value and make good use of the console's technical capabilities. Most SNES shmups are by-the-numbers affairs that remain on the shelf.

Super R-Type and R-Type 3 are different games...

I'm just here to stir the pot.

Power Strike II 8---------------------------------D