Neo SNK ARCADE MVS Magic Key

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
It stays on screen for a set time. there is no way for it to go faster on your system than any other. you simply hold ABC and it will stay on the next screen until you choose a region.

xardion

n00b
Okay didnt know i had to hold ABC to get to the region select screen , in the previous bios you didnt have to.
Thanks for the help.

DvdXploitr

Quiz Detective
I am looking into getting one of these MVS Magic Key converters and a 161-in-1 Multicart (and maybe another Multicart as well)...but I am curious about something....since the MVS Magic Key works as a Unibios, how will this work if the AES system already has a Unibios? would there be any conflict? or maybe the Unibios has more cheats than the MVS converter or vice versa.......

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
The unibios part in the magickey disables itself if the system has a unibios in it.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
The unibios part in the magickey disables itself if the system has a unibios in it.
While this is true, you should note that you must press the black button on the MVS magic key while turning on the AES. Also, if you use it with a 161-in-1 MVS cartridge, you must press the button while turrning on the AES (untile the 161-in-1 menu appears) AND also before selecting the game you wanna play. Otherwise, the game will almost for sure fail to boot.

In another news, I happen to have a modded AES with UniBIOS, but the BIOS mod wasn't made by razoola, so I do not trust the BIOS installed in it. Since I have the Magic Key, I do not need the AES to be modded, is there anybody here willing to sell me an original AES BIOS chip? the serial on my AES is 98597 (board 3-6 AFAIK).

Thanks!

P.S: I'm very sorry for hijacking this thread, but I cannot post new threads.

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
The one i received was a piece of shit ! It has bad distorted music on all 3 games that i tested .

Here some examples :
MS2: http://youtu.be/QZNKKkpPv_I
MS3 : http://youtu.be/Rr053D-zqlI

Support was basically ALL your carts are ALL dirty at the exact right spot to cause this exact bug on all 3 of them . Or my TWO aes system were dirty at the exact same spot so they both distort the sound (doesn't matter that all my AES game work perfectly on both of them). It took a week of these stupid suggestion to finally get a return address.

I shipped it 3 weeks ago without a tracking number because it would have cost me 80$+ with a tracking number and i have to pay for it even tho they sent me a broken piece of shit.

So far no news and i don't know if they received it .

Now i am waiting for my Omega that i ordered because you know ... Fuck that converter...

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Now i am waiting for my Omega that i ordered because you know ... Fuck that converter...

43806287.jpg

Now, I like having a converter as a backup for when I'm too lazy to dig out the CMVS but have the home cart system hooked up, but it's a poor substitute for a real MVS system.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
43806287.jpg

Now, I like having a converter as a backup for when I'm too lazy to dig out the CMVS but have the home cart system hooked up, but it's a poor substitute for a real MVS system.

This is the only reason I have mine. Its nice to have, but not my number one choice for playing mvs carts. Plus I feel it puts alot of stress on the cart slot.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
The unibios that comes on a bios has much more features than the unibios function in the magic key. I would not advise removing the original unibios in the socket.

Raz

kahel

Armored Scrum Object

Thanks !

I'll probably sell it IF they fix it and send it back ... But i am not expecting it ... I'll try to get at least a little money back from it

It was an expensive learning curve lol

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
It was an expensive learning curve lol

Maybe I was just lucky, but my Magic MVS converter works perfectly still, even with the 161-in-1 (no reset holding start, though), however even with this converter, I bought the CMVS (Omega). Since then, I have almost not used the AES, except for the few titles that I only have in AES form (NAM, Magician lord, KoF 94 and Fatal Fury Special).

Regards.

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
UPDATE to my MVS converter story !

I just received my converter , it never made it and took 5 month to bounce back to me . I am pretty sure that Neo asshole gave me the wrong address or misstyped it because what was on my package was exactly what he sent me .

Now i'll try to open it up and see if i can see a bad trace or the problem.

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
If you are curious on how this POS is built or can see why the audio would not work properly on it . Here are the pic of the boards.

IMG_01A.jpgIMG_02.jpgIMG_03A.jpgIMG_04A.jpg

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
It seems this converters are not built to last. I started having problems with my Metal Slug 4 randomly getting muted SFX or music, however the cart works perfectly on my Omega CMVS. I also checked the CRC on the cart using the UniBIOS, and while the Omega throws all ROMS OK, the AES+this converter throws an incorrect CRC on one of the ROMs.

Regards.

Edit: If you want/need, I can send you pics of my converter's insides.

Last edited:

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
I haven't thought of doing a CRC check between my Omega and this converter . I'll try that tonight to see the difference. Thanks!

Dr Neo finally answered me but he wants me to ship it again to Hong Kong this time and he says he will ship a new unit has soon as i send him proof of shipment. I don't even think i'll do it because i have to pay shipping yet again and take the chance of having to pay custom AGAIN because his carrier is DHL and they always charge fees. And i will probably get one that is has badly built and even if it works will probably end up failing like yours with time.

One of my worst purchase...

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
I don't see any level shifting circuitry or even current limiting resistors on these boards. As the devices on these are 3.3V devices they are either being over-volted with a 5V supply, or are forcing the Neo to interface with a 3.3V device. On paper that's okay as far as logic levels go, but without some resistors much current will be drawn from the Neo-Geo ICs, possibly damaging them over time. Just another reason to just use MVS hardware (this same problem exists with the 161-in-1 boards which hunger for power).

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
If you are curious on how this POS is built or can see why the audio would not work properly on it . Here are the pic of the boards.

<see previous post for photos>

Ouch! That's worse than the assembly of some of the multicarts!!!

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I don't see any level shifting circuitry or even current limiting resistors on these boards. As the devices on these are 3.3V devices they are either being over-volted with a 5V supply, or are forcing the Neo to interface with a 3.3V device. On paper that's okay as far as logic levels go, but without some resistors much current will be drawn from the Neo-Geo ICs, possibly damaging them over time. Just another reason to just use MVS hardware (this same problem exists with the 161-in-1 boards which hunger for power).

Is there any way to just add the needed resistors to this thing to make it work? I saw in another forum that some famicom chinese multicarts have this same issue and somebody put a diode (IIRC) on it and it fixed it. I know this converter is much more complex than a famicom cart, but maybe the principle is the same?

Thanks!!

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
Is there any way to just add the needed resistors to this thing to make it work? I saw in another forum that some famicom chinese multicarts have this same issue and somebody put a diode (IIRC) on it and it fixed it. I know this converter is much more complex than a famicom cart, but maybe the principle is the same?

Thanks!!

You could take every line that isn't power or ground and throw in a 100 or so ohm resistor, but that's a lot of resistors! It's not just to the power supply to the chip, but rather to the lines used for the system to communicate with them.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
You could take every line that isn't power or ground and throw in a 100 or so ohm resistor, but that's a lot of resistors! It's not just to the power supply to the chip, but rather to the lines used for the system to communicate with them.

so in another words, not doable without a complete redesign of the converter PCB, right?

420neogeo

Marked Wolf
if this thing plays everything that the daedalus does and also has no scaling issue and it has built in bios then why would any one buy a daedalus for so much more?

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
Because it a badly built piece of chinese shit. Mine had audio problems and customer service is a nightmare. Some people had a unit that worked perfectly but started having audio problems after a few month. The soldering in it looks aweful. Buying this was one of my worst gaming mistake and i bought a atari jaguar.

420neogeo

Marked Wolf
I own a daedalus so your post makes me feel a bit better about the money I spent.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I own a daedalus so your post makes me feel a bit better about the money I spent.

Also AFAIK, the Daedalus can play the MVS games made by NG:Dev.Team, the Magic Key can't. However it plays Knight's Chance fine :)

regards.

420neogeo

Marked Wolf
I'm glad my daedalus can play NGDEV games... BUT... the only NGDEV game I actually want to buy is Gunlord. I wish they would do a reprint of it with the issue fixed so that it can be played on an AES with an adapter.