Functional MVS LED Marquee Backlight Project

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
I haven't posted on here in a while but just wanted to let everyone know that I haven't disappeared ;). New car (2013 WRX) + new job + about to close on a house = very little time to put into the project. However, I will have a game room and workshop area in the new house which will definitely help ;).

Was just thinking about this project and another post just popped up this morning about replacing EL bulbs. Glad you're still around... Life happens man. ;)

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Is it just me or do all of these EL panel replacement projects seem cursed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Well, the previous guy just took the preorder money and ran.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
I really hope nobody has been waiting this long for this considering all you have to do is buy the replacement EL panels and swap them out. It's so easy and the finished product is just like the original. What more do you need?

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
Hi Everyone, I am new on these forums so I couldnt start a new thread, but I am also working on a LED marquee system and I am super close to having this finished. My only problem was getting my led panels thin enough to fit and I belilve I have now have this problem solved.
M1fGzjE.jpg
2UySz0M.jpg
Photo 16-09-2017 10 49 49.jpg

I am just waiting for the thinner plastics for my light guides and for the thinner led pcb to arrive. As soon as they do I am sending a 6 panel setup to a friend so we can check everything fits.

xterc

n00b
What is the Arduino doing? Detecting the input and firing the MOSFET? Or is there some decoding required on the input?

Pinball

Kula's Candy
Where can EL replacements (like the originals) be bought? I need 6. If anyone has anything to sell me that would work, please PM me!

Last edited:

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
Where can EL replacements (like the originals) be bought? I need 6. If anyone has anything to sell me that would work, please PM me!

Glowhut.com is where I got mine...it was a few years back though...

Pinball

Kula's Candy
Thanks! I just need to open up my UK Electrocoin NG cab and check out the exact bits needed.
It's MV-ELC. Two boards each with 3 EL panels. Where can these be bought? I can't find any online. The nearest I got was this, but it's out of stock:

http://videotronicsuk.com/snk-led-pcb-card-display.html

dsc03192.jpg

Last edited:

Pinball

Kula's Candy
Can the individual EL rectangles be replaced? Does LED replacement swap out with these?

Salvio007

Mr. Big's Thug
The LED option is a Godsend...
Please give us updates on this - screw them shitty EL panels, they burn so easily!

noir

Overtop Pathfinder
Can the individual EL rectangles be replaced? Does LED replacement swap out with these?

Looks like you found your answer, but just to confirm, yes. The light panels themselves just have a couple of small solder points and adhesive on the back holding them in place.

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
So this has moved on since the first post and thanks to arathorn we have it installed in a 6 slot cabinet. The only thing stopping me from selling this at the moment is the production of the actual panels and making sure they fit in all cabinets. The arduino checks for the clocking signal from the neo geo and decodes the BCD to light each panel. My led system 100% replaces the EL panels so it cant be used along side them. As it stands they are way cheaper then the EL panels, close to £10 each compared to £30 for one in the uk.

Last edited:

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
So far I have these measurements.

6 slot with speakers 3 x 2 layout = 5.5mm (good)
4 slot big red with speakers 1 x 4 layout = 10mm (good)
4 slot with simple marquee no speakers = 3mm (not good, but is a simple mod)
I would guess this is the same for a 1 and 2 slot.

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
Hi Everyone,

I have had confirmation that my panels will also fit in a 4 slot that does not have speakers in the top and just a normal marquee. Today I picked up the light guides and I have the led pcb's so I am just waiting for the final control board to arrive. Before this happens I am going to send a 4 slot kit to a guy that has the none speakers 4 slot and another 4 slot kit to a normal big red cabinet. I should get install instructions from these just like the 6 slot I already have and then we can look at taking some orders. I have enough to make 100 panels and will have 25 of the final design control boards and also 20 of the earlier models. Depending on how this all works out it could be a slow burner and I just stick to making them my self or I could get enough interest to take it to someone and say, please make these in a larger qty and we could do a kickstarter. Anyway lets get a few more installed to make sure they fit first.