CPS2 - MSH vs SF - ASIA board

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Changed the suicide battery today but I came across a bunch of uncovered eeproms and some weird flash like chips that were fitted into the sockets. The capcom void stickers weren't touched either so it had never been opened prior...

227597_10151385318601609_1457176534_n.jpg

Boot?

EDIT: Okay yeah seems like those pcb's with flash chips on them should really be mask roms. I just find it odd that the labels are all original and the security stickers weren't tampered with. Unless someone's a goddamn master at putting them back perfectly. Game however runs perfectly, from start to finish.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
If this board is infact a bootleg, does anyone know if those flash chips on pcb's can be erased and reprogrammed using an eprom programmer? If I have to live with a bootleg I may as well convert it to Japan or Phoenix them.

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
You only need to rewrite 2-3 of the main program chips. (27c4096/27c4002)

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
This is what mainman likes to call the south american special. Battery powered boards with flash rom chips mounted on DIP adapters. The only way to know for sure if it's a boot is to compare the program roms against the non-phoenix roms found in mame. That battery could be just for show.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
This is what mainman likes to call the south american special. Battery powered boards with flash rom chips mounted on DIP adapters. The only way to know for sure if it's a boot is to compare the program roms against the non-phoenix roms found in mame. That battery could be just for show.

Last time a South American member commented on one of these, he disowned it. :D

Said they were maid in MEXICO. :sus:

And his countries were framed by the Orange Case. :lolz:

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member

Was thinking this, did Capcom South America distribute asia boards?

Lunatico

n00b
Was thinking this, did Capcom South America distribute asia boards?

Indeed, in their last days capcom mexico converted lot of stuff into the VS series.
Hell ,I have one rental Xmen vs Street figther with hispanic roms and its original.
I have a couple of mvc boards that are exactly like yours.

also my asia D&D SOM had no stickers on the first 4 eproms.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
A interesting configuration in the sense they took a simple procedure and made it unnecessarily complex by not just using a 32 bit flash rom for the 4meg image but instead using two 2meg flash rom for the 4meg image.

This method is used with the very few official boards that use flash roms such as progear and pang.

Why these regions went rogue. Well if you wanted to buy a board from capcom U.S/Jap and they were out of stock, these branches would say tuff shit and refer you hopelessly to a distributor. Why the mexico/south american branches would just built you a ghetto board even for games that were released years before.

If the encryption is legit its a in house Asian ghetto conversion similar to the ghetto orange south American special in house conversions.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
mshvboot.jpg

Just saw the original link died, here's the same photo.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
What region is the board?

If it's Asian grey it's a straight boot, if it's orange it's a Capcom South American special.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
What region is the board?

If it's Asian grey it's a straight boot, if it's orange it's a Capcom South American special.

It's an Asian grey. I wonder if I actually need the battery then?

Might be worth it to convert it to something better perhaps?

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Would the phoenix code still run with the battery still attached? Or has it had some modification (cut tracks or whatever) to stop the battery powering the decryption ICs? Very strange bootleg, though.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
One one hand it's possible to run phoenix code on a board with battery on it.

But on the other hand, boards with phoenix code don't like a battery (or power) in the board with they start up, 'cause if the charge in the caps is too great, the board will post a suicide screen upon start up.

---

When in doubt, just put a CPS2 suicide tester on the board.

It'll tell you if the board is dead or alive.

Last edited:

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
I would think the best way to check if it's legit or not would be to read out the program EPROMs and see if they match the official (encrypted) set?

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
I would think the best way to check if it's legit or not would be to read out the program EPROMs and see if they match the official (encrypted) set?

Not a bad idea, if you have a programmer and your rom set is in mame.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member

Can you see the missing labels? :O