Rarest MVS Games

max-ng

Instructions? Pfft. I don't need them.... oh... fu
MVS stuff is really common and easy to find. In the UK AO and Jamma + have plenty listed each week. Bide your time and take care and eBay is fine - have bought games from Japan, HK and Belgium this week alone. Bargains still out there - got Sonic Wings 2 full MVS kit for £16 today.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Bargains still out there - got Sonic Wings 2 full MVS kit for £16 today.

Sorry dude, you got ripped off. But since I'm a nice guy and will take it off your hands and relieve you of it. I will pay what you paid for it so you at least break even.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
ganryu and magician lord? maybe not rarest ?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Rarest games usually equate to crappy games on MVS. If it was a hit, it's usually pretty common. Usually. Ganryu seems to come up every few weeks or so, but then again it's worth a lot now and it's kind of crappy. The Mahjong games can be rare, although Mahjong Baka is EVERYWHERE now. Quiz games the same, but that's mostly because people don't really pay a lot for them. The second Quiz Detective starts fetching $200 a pop on eBay (they don't), you'll see one pop up every other week as well. Truth is, you can get any MVS game you want if you know where to look and have the coin to drop on it. Honestly, every single one of these rare games listed, I could find you right now online somewhere for sale. There really aren't any truly rare MVS games, just less common ones.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Just to clarify, the term RARE should only relate to titles that had small runs. "Hard to find" is a term I tag to games that people tend to keep in their collections so they are hard to find for sale. Games such as Magician Lord, Sengoku 2, Twinkle Star Sprites, WindJammers and maybe SVC. None actually rare, just hard to find on the market.

Most rare games are games that had small runs where the company wanted to "test" the waters, the game didn't really become popular so no more copies were made. Of course there is the rare case of Bust a Move where a small run was made and months after release it just became a huge hit and then SNK had to meet the demand and repurposed old SV94/PS2 carts to make more copies of BAM/PB.

Mask rom versions of Bust a Move do exist as I have had one before as a kit but back then I never knew they were that rare. An ALL Mask rom version of BAM is probably more rare than an LB2 US Kit.

ChrisB

Another Striker
MVS stuff is really common and easy to find. In the UK AO and Jamma + have plenty listed each week. Bide your time and take care and eBay is fine - have bought games from Japan, HK and Belgium this week alone. Bargains still out there - got Sonic Wings 2 full MVS kit for £16 today.

Hi I am going to join up at Jamma+ as there are a lot of UK people on there and games come up often for sale.Have you found any shops or dealers which trade in the carts you can buy off the shelf

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
Chris, Are you still looking for more carts...? Have you not already spent enough this week...?
But no, there won't be any shops selling carts off the shelf... I know of some UK traders that have stocks of some carts but not many anymore.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Chris, Are you still looking for more carts...? Have you not already spent enough this week...?
But no, there won't be any shops selling carts off the shelf... I know of some UK traders that have stocks of some carts but not many anymore.

It's when other people notice how much you're spending on MVS when you know you have a problem... :D

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Mask rom versions of Bust a Move do exist as I have had one before as a kit but back then I never knew they were that rare. An ALL Mask rom version of BAM is probably more rare than an LB2 US Kit.

Really? shit then I'm definitely never passing on my PB/BAM.

max-ng

Instructions? Pfft. I don't need them.... oh... fu
Hi I am going to join up at Jamma+ as there are a lot of UK people on there and games come up often for sale.Have you found any shops or dealers which trade in the carts you can buy off the shelf

No shops really - a few dealers on eBay but as a fellow Brit you will find the most honest and best value shopping on the two forums I mentioned.

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member

True

I've never come across one and one hasn't even been scanned for MVS scans. If you have one - send Ack a scan :) (ackmed at gotwalls dot com)

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
There aren't many MVS games that are rare, at least as loose carts, and those that are tend to be shit. Rarest carts in my opinion are Fight Fever and Pleasuregoal, tho Pleasuregoal is easier to find in Europe and is actually a pretty fun game (if overpriced).

I would say the holy grail of MVS rarity is a Breakers Revenge full English kit; my understanding is that most were shipped to Mexico as the original game enjoyed more popularity there than most places. Apparently, though, the kit bits were thrown out and just the carts were shipped to decrease weight for shipping. That said, my memory could be off.

ChrisB

Another Striker
No shops really - a few dealers on eBay but as a fellow Brit you will find the most honest and best value shopping on the two forums I mentioned.

Well thats what I thought but thought I would ask you never know. Yeah you can't beat buying off fellow forum members, I have had some great deals since I signed up on here, much better than off ebay. :)

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
I am 5 carts away from a complete MVS collection. All of the ones I'm missing are common carts.

For the last three years, I have almost daily checked online to find carts to complete my collection. So in other words, I have been actively collecting for that entire time and I will share with you the least common carts I have run across.

Bear in mind, this doesn't mean that my list is the end all be all of rare carts, just what I have found being active in the market over a long period of time.

Ragnagard (believe it or not) - I've only run across one, and I bought it.
Pochi & Nyaa - I've only seen one, and I bought it.
Pleasuregoal - Found one about 8 months ago and bought it. Another one recently came up.
Sengoku 2 - I have seen three total in as many years.
Twinkle Star Sprites - I have seen two but they sold before I could get to them. A friend of mine gave me his which is how I got mine.
Matrimelee - I have only seen 2 in three years. Lots of boots out there though.
Bang Bead - have seen 2 in three years.

Here are some carts considered rare which don't seem all that rare to me;
SSVS - I have seen many of these
Puzzle de Pon/R - Again, lots of these
Neo Mr. Do - Have seen about six of these in three years.
Nightmare in the Dark - Plenty out there.
Pop N' Bounce - Seems more common than a lot of common carts.

Hope this helps.

Yes snk definately priced themselves out, at age 12 I had enough cash to buy the AES when it came out but could just about manage one game

A 12 year old had $700 in 1990?

Jesus.

Last edited:

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
I'm sure many will disagree with me about this, but I think the line between MVS and AES collecting has become more blurred over the past 5 years or so. It used to be very clear that MVS was much cheaper than AES and easier to collect and play for "for gamers". I really don't see that to be the case anymore. Many MVS carts are really tough to find and crazy expensive. Whereas, the low end of the AES market for cheap titles has really gotten much cheaper and many games are more readily available. Basically all the first gen Neo games can be had on AES for $20-$50 each all day, many new old stock, that can't be said for MVS. Plus with all the shock box stuff and full kit freaks in some ways MVS is harder to "collect" for than AES. To me, the cheapest way to collect Neo Geo now is probably to have an AES with a converter and a mix of home carts and AES. Just my 2 cents - don't mean to derail the "MVS rarity" thread issue too much.

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
I'm sure many will disagree with me about this, but I think the line between MVS and AES collecting has become more blurred over the past 5 years or so. It used to be very clear that MVS was much cheaper than AES and easier to collect and play for "for gamers". I really don't see that to be the case anymore.

Yes, I will go ahead and disagree with you.

Someone with dedication and an average income can eventually boast a complete MVS collection, whereas winning the powerball may give you the money to complete an AES collection, which won't matter when you simply won't be able to find the carts to begin with.

The launch titles on AES are cheap, often cheaper than their MVS counterparts. Anything beyond that is insane. I just don't know how you can look at common MVS titles like Metal Slug, NTM, Ultimate 11, Kizuna, etc and claim that you don't see that MVS is much cheaper.

Last edited:

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
Yes, I will go ahead and disagree with you.

Someone with dedication and an average income can eventually boast a complete MVS collection, whereas winning the powerball may give you the money to complete an AES collection, which won't matter when you simply won't be able to find the carts to begin with.

The launch titles on AES are cheap, often cheaper than their MVS counterparts. Anything beyond that is insane. I just don't know how you can look at common MVS titles like Metal Slug, NTM, Ultimate 11, Kizuna, etc and claim that you don't see that MVS is much cheaper.

I agree with you, I don't think I made my point very well. I guess what I was trying to say was the cheapest way to go is really a hybrid collection. i.e., Slug 1, Kizuna, that sort of stuff, get on MVS. The first gen stuff, get on AES. Many of the dog tag-era games are right around what the MVS versions go for, maybe a little more. Might as well get those on AES. The early fighters are dirt cheap on MVS and AES so get those on AES (Arts 1 and 2, FF 1 - special, WH1-2Jet etc are about $20 a piece on Jpn AES).

I mean, people are paying like $100 for Magician Lord on MVS. Why? It can be had brand new on AES for $20. Also a wierd thing that is happening now, often you can get home cart conversions with full art for cheaper than an authentic MVS cart, depending on the game!

All I was trying to say is, it used to be that just about every game was cheaper on MVS. That's not the case now for quite a few titles.

I will add one more perhaps controversial point to this - the AES system itself to me is the best way to play Neo Geo. Don't get me wrong, the consolized MVS stuff coming out now like the analogue stuff is amazing to see and a great product. But with an original AES, you can play AES games, MVS carts with a converter, you get memory card support (very important to many but lacking on many consolized MVS) and all the output options you could really want. Theres nothing it wont do except connect to a JAMMA connector.

Last edited:

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
what about Samurai Shodown V Special? where can i find it?

That isn't exactly a common game, but not one of the most rare by any means.

I don't know where you can find one RIGHT NOW, but that's just the case with a lot of Neo games, a lot of the time. A little patience goes a long way.

I also had completed an MVS collection minus a few common carts (Riding Hero, Robo Army, and some mahjong/quiz titles) on an entry-level salary over the course of two years.

SSS

neo retired
I'm glad I bought my SSVS cart when I did. Seeing how it's a Japan only release.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
I'm sure many will disagree with me about this, but I think the line between MVS and AES collecting has become more blurred over the past 5 years or so. It used to be very clear that MVS was much cheaper than AES and easier to collect and play for "for gamers". I really don't see that to be the case anymore. Many MVS carts are really tough to find and crazy expensive. Whereas, the low end of the AES market for cheap titles has really gotten much cheaper and many games are more readily available. Basically all the first gen Neo games can be had on AES for $20-$50 each all day, many new old stock, that can't be said for MVS....

I partially agree if you're referring to MVS kits, especially good condition ones. If we're talking loose carts, I don't agree. My problem is, I collect mint or near mint MVS kits (or try to) and then I end up buying duplicate loose carts as I want to minimize use of the cart in the kit. :D

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
Ragnagard (believe it or not) - I've only run across one, and I bought it.
Pochi & Nyaa - I've only seen one, and I bought it.
Pleasuregoal - Found one about 8 months ago and bought it. Another one recently came up.
Sengoku 2 - I have seen three total in as many years.
Twinkle Star Sprites - I have seen two but they sold before I could get to them. A friend of mine gave me his which is how I got mine.

+ 1

Here are some carts considered rare which don't seem all that rare to me;

SSVS - I have seen many of these
Nightmare in the Dark - Plenty out there.

Please let me know who has them for sale, thanks :)

mahesak

Morden's Lackey
MVS is my way for playing. I feel bored to look AES in shelf and don't play because I don't want my cart has insertion mark until I bought MVS, it's very fun for playing. My MVS is not complete, I have Metal Slug, KOF, Garou, Last Blade, Samurai showdown series and MOTW is expensive and rarest for me ... $70 for loose cart :D

I would like to buy another MVS continues but now I still don't have time for playing :(

Last edited: