Rarest MVS Games

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey
I partially agree if you're referring to MVS kits, especially good condition ones. If we're talking loose carts, I don't agree. My problem is, I collect mint or near mint MVS kits (or try to) and then I end up buying duplicate loose carts as I want to minimize use of the cart in the kit. :D

This is hilarious because I can see myself doing the SAME thing!!!

What a crazy bunch we collectors can be sometimes!! :p

mahesak

Morden's Lackey
wrap the bottom of the carts in mylar

Yes, but it's rather cumbersome for each carts so I pulled console's lid out and pared the channel smoothly. But finally I thought CMVS is best way for me to play :)

medic_wheat

Kabuki Klasher
Since becoming more "active" on this forum myself I've desicded to do three things.

Discontinue buying off ebay (unless there is a true deal)

Buy predominantly from forum members (there seems to be a few heavy hitters with good reputations here)

Develop my "Must have list" of MVS games that I want as full kits

Seeing how I Have 3 full kit MVS games, I'd like to do the same for others. Not make my entire MVS collection complete kits mind you...I'm not made of 8man money here people. But try and pare it down to what I'd truly like to see in my collection from games I remember playing in the Arcades.

I don't think I'll ever really go rare game hunting unless a rare game were to fall in my lap (which has happened once for a Gamecube game). I'd rather just buy a solid library of MVS games I would play, versus having 80 something MVS games where out of it I only ever play 30 of them.

Granted those of you with complete MVS, AES, and so forth collections is amazing to witness.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
... I think the line between MVS and AES collecting has become more blurred over the past 5 years or so. It used to be very clear that MVS was much cheaper than AES and easier to collect and play for "for gamers". ...

I agree with this; however, I would credit the development of the CMVS and the MVS>AES Converters for the blur. It crated a mid-ground for the arcade crowd (MVS) and the console kids (AES). That, and AES Conversion carts.

... Many MVS carts are really tough to find and crazy expensive. ...

Imho, eBay caused the price of MVS carts to inflate. I remember watching kids flip $65 VIEW POINT and PULSTAR carts on the Bay for $100~$200. Shit caused an un-necessary feeding frenzy for MVS carts in both the forums and on the Bay. And I also put some blame AES converters ("bootleggers") buying MVS carts off the bay (and the week US<Euro For-Ex rate helping them).

... To me, the cheapest way to collect Neo Geo now is probably to have an AES with a converter and a mix of home carts and AES. Just my 2 cents ....

Hey, aren't those DavidG Daedalus MVS to AES Neo-Geo Converters $400?

http://www.neostore.com/Daedalus-MVS-to-AES-Neo-Geo-Converter-p/20.htm

That set-up is about same price as as a new CMVS fully assembled.

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Last edited:

ChrisB

Another Striker
It's when other people notice how much you're spending on MVS when you know you have a problem... :D

LOL :)

Yes spent a bit over the last couple of weeks, well since joining the forum :)
Its money well spent though and I enjoy playing the games.

Rog I am always looking for more carts! :)

Grandmaster B

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Pleasuregoal
Twinkle Star Sprites
Pulstar
View Point
Money Puzzle Exchanger
Bang Bead
Nightmare in the Dark
Pochi & Nyaa
Samurai Shodown V Special
Super Dodge Ball

I would say these are the hardest MVS games to find

Those games are rare, but they still regularly pop up as english carts.
After 8 years or so of collecting MVS games, I found that the rarest ones seem to be the ones that were only popular in Japan. Not sure when I saw the last time an MVS Quiz or Mahjong game for sale.

It always amazes me how quickly some members have completed a full set of MVS games. But then again, I only collect full kits...

can't the ng:dev team just run more copies? will they?

For the MVS games that have been developed, I think they already exceeded the initial runs that they first announced they would produce.

Teddyboy16

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I have a Daedalus converter that I bought from the neo store. It works very well. I ant in the process of collecting full kits, but in my impaitience I bought some carts from arcade shock that were loose but they packed them in mvs kit boxes without labels. I've managed to pick up two complete art sets and I'm looking for a third. I ordered some labels from Xians site. I know they're not 'authentic' labels but it will make me happy. They have label stock in the neo store, so I'll pick up some to have on hand.

I have a list of kits that I want, but it will take some patience on my part to acquire them. I do have 20 AES games, so my collection will end up being a mixture of both especially with the high price of some AES carts.

Aphextwin

n00b
The way it's looking for me is windjammers and MOTW at a decent price! People are offering these for ridiculous prices!

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Gotta go CD for the Quiz and Mahjong games, I love them but still need to get my hands on the Jong controller that is just ridiculous in the price people are trying to sell it for.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Excellent post and question. Trying to learn as much about MVS games and collecting as I can!

Was there not a newer thread you could have bumped up or responded to instead of finding one a year old? Caught me off guard when my response was dated 1-21 until I looked over at the year.

Nickrb

Angel's Love Slave
Was there not a newer thread you could have bumped up or responded to instead of finding one a year old? Caught me off guard when my response was dated 1-21 until I looked over at the year.

At least the search function is getting used...

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The thread is still less than a year old...barely.

blakfishy

n00b
I have 5 copies of world heroes, so those definitely are not rare. Awesome to see Pochi to Nyaa though; I did not know that game existed.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I never see these games come up. That and some homebrew carts.

Seen everything else at least once.

You just aren't looking for them in the right places. They show up in the Asian shops all the time. You can regularly find the Quiz, Jong and Shogi games in MVS format.

I think the main reason you don't see them here more is there is a bit of a barrier to play them for most English speaking gamers. The Jong games play fine, as does Shogi, but they're Japanese language only, and could turn some people off.

The Quiz games are completely unplayable if you don't speak Japanese. I've tried to random guess my way through Quiz Detective or Quiz Chibi, but... It's impossible ;)

If you really want them, though, just hit up any of the Asian resellers. If they don't have them in stock at the moment, they can probably locate them quick. These games are very common in Japan, and Chinese shops can usually locate them quickly as well.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
By the way, I had no idea how old this thread was until I scrolled up a little and saw Poodle posting in it. Wow, has it really been a year?