GCW Zero - new retrogaming handheld looks great

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
If anyone has tried MAME4ALL yet, let me know if you get your roms to work. I used clrmamepro to convert my roms to the earlier romsets that this emu needs, but when I select the directory I have them in it says no roms found. Is there some kind of list file I need, and how would I go about getting one if so?

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Ok thanks, I didn't know what directory to put it in, I have it in my roms folder but I guess it should go with the app.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Finally got to try MAME4ALL, works pretty decent. I think the coding for the Neo games needs some work as it lags a bit.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
This probably doesn't relate to many people here as everybody seems to have received their shipments of consoles. Those of you who are still waiting, I found the below among recent comments in an update -

For information on individual orders, we've set up an account at GCWdistro@gmail.com. I should state that this account will be managed by representatives of GCW, but not exclusively by Justin Barwick. Questions and comments (both positive and negative) are welcome, and we will try our best to get back to you as soon as we can. You may use this contact as a sounding board if you wish, but only emails containing questions specific to your order will guarantee a timely response."

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Finally got to try MAME4ALL, works pretty decent. I think the coding for the Neo games needs some work as it lags a bit.
Try the GNGEO emulator, it seems to handle a majority of Neo Geo games really well.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I still keep getting updates about this even though I (well Todd) received mine. Apparently there are still a large amount of people waiting for their units! What a scammer Justin Barwick is. I bet he spent all the cash and has to rely on money he gets from his J.O.B to drip the units out the door.

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
What a scammer Justin Barwick is. I bet he spent all the cash and has to rely on money he gets from his J.O.B to drip the units out the door.

that's a pretty speculative attack. I think he's been pretty good about keeping everybody updated regarding shipments (even if it's not what people want to hear). Yeah, it's dragging out... but I have kickstarter projects past the 1 year mark of delivery date with no updates at all. A tru-skamma would have cut contact by now.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
He isn't a scammer, he's having problems keeping up with the shipments because the places/people he hires to ship them out give up as it's so repetitive and there are hundreds of units.

theMot

10 Year Member
What planet are you guys on?

He sold about 1500 units and got paid up front. Project was funded over a year ago. He got the first shipment last May. Even if he got someone to help him and they shipped 50x a day it should only take about a month to get them all out. Maybe not a scam in the true sense of the word but there is little doubt he got the bulk of the money and put it somewhere (squandered even) and now they just trickle out.

BTW go look at the comments on kickstarter, until today he hadn't given anyone an update since before Christmas, November 20th actually.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You're forgetting that reflashing them is what started the backlog. People need to be patient with tech stuff. Hell, I'm still waiting for jelly from a kickstarter that was supposed to be here in July. Now that campaign was excuse after excuse.

theMot

10 Year Member
Perhaps it is a problem with the way Kickstarter fund projects. They just give you all the cash up front and say have fun. Most people can barely control themselves if you put a thousand dollars in their hand let alone a couple of hundred grand lol.

They should perhaps structure it differently and give the person doing the kickstarter progress payments based on milestones being met. In the case of the GCW zero. Deposit for manufacturer, Balance payment for manufacturing, payment for freight from factory and then the balance ones at least 80% are shipped. They really need to put a few checks and balances in place because if people keep getting burnt it will damage their business image in the long run.

In a traditional business model if you want to start a business you give it 110% because your arse is on line. You don't want to lose the capital you put in. Problem with Kickstarter model is you are putting all the risk on the customer. Billy blogs for the first time in his life has 20k, 50k, 100k, 200k in his hands and doesn't have the same ambition because he didn't have to earn the capital with his blood sweat and tears.

I wonder how many kickstarter projects fall over and the person holding the cash has got away with it.

Last edited:

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I am still waiting for my GCW. But any and all excitement has departed long ago when everyone else got theirs. People commenting on kickstarter are losing their shit over the delays, and partly I cannot blame them in the case where retail outlets have the units on hand now to purchase for immediate delivery. I do not condone those comments and it's not my style to do that. It is a slap in the face for original backers though, regardless of the circumstances leading to this unfortunate situation.

The latest update today was quite interesting. The accusations are flying thick and fast at Justin it seems.
The sooner this is over the better for everyone.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
This is the exact reason why people don't want to use kickstarter to raise funding. For campaigns that have tons of backers that require individual shipping it is very stressful for the seller. It's always preferred to sell in bulk to a retailer and let them deal with the individual shipping.

It reminds me of when I was selling those MVS cart batches, I was getting back aches from packaging so many single carts that I had to take breaks after doing so many which is why down the line the batches got smaller and smaller instead of keeping them big.

Hopefully you guys get your stuff soon.

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
I got one with the sticky D-pad months ago and I put a few things on it (Streets of Rage Remake mostly) but I've mostly left it alone. I keep thinking I'm going to mess with the D-pad (i've read there are a few easy fixes), but I keep getting distracted with my other systems. If anyone wants to take this off my hands on the cheap, it's in mint condition with a big memory card and the original box and everything - just PM me.

Last edited: