Must-Have Games for DS/3DS

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
So I'm thinking about getting either a 3DS XL or DSi XL. What are the must-have games (excluding cutesy crap) for each?

I'm sure I will eventually play and even enjoy the Mario games, but those really aren't my interest anymore, even when they are well done. But when I look on amazon, it seems like I have to wade through pages of stuff about virtual pets and bouncy cute shit and mario. I'm going to assume the Castlevanias and Zeldas are at least okay. So what are the other meaty games that make DS or 3DS worth the purchase price?

So far, I think I am interested in The World Ends With You and maybe a couple Atlus games or something.

marktheshark

Morden's Lackey
Metroid Prime: Hunters - The controls are a bit untuitive and take a bit of time to get used to, but other than that, it's a pretty good pocket-sized Metroid game.

Final Fantasy III - A pretty good remake with some new stuff added. Worth a try.

Radiant Historia - A RPG with a time-travel mechanic similar to Chrono Trigger's. The story in this game is very good. Game is unfortunately very expensive right now.

Last edited:

Ben Richards

New Challenger
:)
I agree, Radiant Historia is a great game and the Dragon Quest games are great, if RPG's are your cup of tea. The DS also has a few retro cards that are pretty good like Konami arcade classics, Metal Slug, Y's, contra, etc. Of course, the Castlevania games are all awesome as well, Zelda, Advance wars, and the virtual console games are a plus (NES, GBA, GBC). As far as the 3DS, Resident Evil Revelations (especially the second one), Zelda, Shinobi isn't too bad, Mario Kart, and I kind of liked Code of Princess. I am really looking forward to Fire Emblem.:)

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
Ditto on Radiant Historia. You will not find a better unique JRPG on the DS. Now that the reprint is out, everyone can get this game affordably. (in the summer this game was going for near $100)

Other recommendations:

DS:

Advance Wars Dual Strike - My favorite handheld game. ever.
Pokemon Black, 2
Pokemon Conquest
Chrono Trigger - worth buying even if you have the Snes version due to the extra scenes
Professor Layton Series
Phoenix Wright Series
999 - Excellent game and most likely the best story on DS
GTA Chinatown Wars - Amazing
Infinite Space

3DS:
Professor Layton
RE Revelations
Mario 3D Land
Tales of the Abyss - if you havent played PS2 version

Upcoming 3DS:
Etrian Odyssey IV
Fire Emblem
Animal Crossing

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. A couple good ones there that I want to check out. And Radiant Historia is now on my radar. If I see it for a reasonable price, I'll look into it.

But if anyone else comes into the thread with some ideas, leave out anything with Mario in it. Leave out anything with Pokemon in it. Leave out anything about pets or animals of any kind. Just not my thing.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Okay, I just took the plunge. I was at Target and saw they had the 3DS XL with Mario Kart and $30 gift card deal that only lasts another couple days and just kind of impulse bought it. I figured I already missed the good holiday deal price, I at least wanted the $30. So now, finding out if it has games I'll like takes on a whole new urgency.

And I'm also now really noticing some of the secondary market ridiculousness. Like the previous Advance Wars games going for $70-180. Blimey charlie. That isn't happening.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Bangai-O Spirits, like, encompasses the spirit of handheld gaming.

But then again, on this forum, I seem to be the only one who appreciates it.

Lambdata

n00b
There´s a package under my Christmas tree, and I´m completely positive that it´s a Nintendo 3DS XL. I´m also considering what to buy to feed it. Is that Proffessor Layton thing really interesting? I´ve seen videos at Youtube and I´m not very convinced...

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
Congrats, the 3DS XL is awesome. I love it.

I have had a lot of fun with New Super Mario Bros. 2 and Mario Kart 7, especially online multiplayer.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
3DS
- Kid Icarus
- Mario 3D Land (you just can't miss this one)

DS:
- Bangaioh
- Castlevania (all 3)
- Contra 4
- Megaman Zero Collection
- Mario Kart DS (best Mario Kart so far, better than 7 imo)
- Mario vs Donkey Kong Miniland Mayhem (It's not a puzzle/plateformer like the GBA version, only a puzzle game but it's still awesome)
- Metal Slug 7, nah just kidding :tickled:

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
People just can't resist naming off Mario games.
3DS
- Kid Icarus
- Mario 3D Land (you just can't miss this one)

DS:
- Bangaioh
- Castlevania (all 3)
- Contra 4
- Megaman Zero Collection
- Mario Kart DS (best Mario Kart so far, better than 7 imo)
- Mario vs Donkey Kong Miniland Mayhem (It's not a puzzle/plateformer like the GBA version, only a puzzle game but it's still awesome)
- Metal Slug 7, nah just kidding :tickled:
Is Metal Slug not good? I didn't follow any of the game's development or reviews, not figuring I'd get a DS.

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
No.

You'll be bored with the 3DS in a few months.

Kensirou

n00b
3DS
Super Mario 3D Land
Mario Kart 7
Professor Layton
Epic Mickey Power Of Illusion (Castle Of Illusion sequel)

Ds
Zelda Phantom Hourglass / Spirit Tracks
Professor Layton Series
Phoenix Wright Series

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
People just can't resist naming off Mario games.Is Metal Slug not good? I didn't follow any of the game's development or reviews, not figuring I'd get a DS.

MS7 is bad, don't buy it. Sorry about the Mario games but you should try 3D Land at least.

There is bunch of good "virtual" games for the DS including some good shmups. I can't remember the names though, I'm an old fart.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
MS7 is bad, don't buy it. Sorry about the Mario games but you should try 3D Land at least.
I'm sure I will eventually. I don't dislike Mario games when I end up playing them, they just aren't anything I look forward to. I mean, I think Super Mario World and Mario64 are two of the greatest games ever created for any platform. I loved both of them. But the whole Mario aesthetic is never something where I feel like I can't wait for the next one or something. I don't get excited for them.

For example, I got the 3DS XL model that already has Mario Kart 7 loaded onto it. I haven't really cared about any Mario Kart after the great SNES game, but I figured why not. In fact, 64 is the only other one after SNES that I have clear memories of, and I thought 64 sucked. I played a few races and 7 seems fine. Like a fun time-waster, but nothing to go crazy about. And the previous DS Mario Kart may be a better game, but I'll be fine with 7. I don't need more. It's not the kind of racing game I care about in single player. At the same time, it's not offensive by any means. I'm happy enough to have it.

I'm going to go out today and see if I can pick up a couple games.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Import the 3DS LL Circle Pad Pro controller add on (you can get it from NCSX for $20+ shipping) and get Resident Evil: Revelations. The circle pad controller makes the system really large in your hands, but it offers better control for a great RE game.

Also, try some of these titles:

3DS:

Code of Princess
Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy
Tales of The Abyss
Dead or Alive: Dimensions

Forthcoming:

Etrian Odyssey IV
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow-Mirror of Fate
Fire Emblem: Awakening

Virtlual Market:

Crimson Shroud (if you like D&D at all, you must DL this and play it)
Unchained Blades (just came out today, neat premise-you are a dragon that's been cast out by a goddess and you assemble a party of other monsters to go back to heaven and get revenge)
Liberation Maiden

DS:

Etrian Odyssey 1-3
Radiant Historia (of course)
Final Fantasy IV (neat new twist on an old favorite)

As you can see, I recommend a lot of RPGs. That's primarily because its what I use handhelds for. It's an almost perfect genre for handhelds, IMO.

Also, pro tip:

If you are playing a game and can't save in an opportune location, just close the 3DS XL up. It goes into a sleep mode and when you open it back up, you're right where you left off. But have a care: it chews up battery power and if the system dies in sleep mode, you will lose all your progress.

These are the games I can recommend off the top of my head. When I get home, I'll skim over my library and if I see anything else that I think is really good, I'll recommend.

Welcome to the 3DS club. It's a fantastic platform.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
MS7 is bad, don't buy it.

I disagree, I wouldn't call it "bad," more like uninspired. It's a hell of a lot better than 4, but nowhere near as good as 1-3. I'd say it's worth it if you can find it cheap, but I wouldn't go out of my way looking for it.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Pushmo and Crashmo are both awesome (3DS)

have you played Retro Game Challenge on the DS?

that's quintessential gaming right there

The World Ends With You is amazing

it's very odd though and has a deep learning curve

definitely not for everyone but something everyone should at least try

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Import the 3DS LL Circle Pad Pro controller add on (you can get it from NCSX for $20+ shipping) and get Resident Evil: Revelations. The circle pad controller makes the system really large in your hands, but it offers better control for a great RE game.

Also, try some of these titles:

3DS:

Code of Princess
Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy
Tales of The Abyss
Dead or Alive: Dimensions

Forthcoming:

Etrian Odyssey IV
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow-Mirror of Fate
Fire Emblem: Awakening

Virtlual Market:

Crimson Shroud (if you like D&D at all, you must DL this and play it)
Unchained Blades (just came out today, neat premise-you are a dragon that's been cast out by a goddess and you assemble a party of other monsters to go back to heaven and get revenge)
Liberation Maiden

DS:

Etrian Odyssey 1-3
Radiant Historia (of course)
Final Fantasy IV (neat new twist on an old favorite)

As you can see, I recommend a lot of RPGs. That's primarily because its what I use handhelds for. It's an almost perfect genre for handhelds, IMO.

Also, pro tip:

If you are playing a game and can't save in an opportune location, just close the 3DS XL up. It goes into a sleep mode and when you open it back up, you're right where you left off. But have a care: it chews up battery power and if the system dies in sleep mode, you will lose all your progress.

These are the games I can recommend off the top of my head. When I get home, I'll skim over my library and if I see anything else that I think is really good, I'll recommend.

Welcome to the 3DS club. It's a fantastic platform.
Thanks for the recommendations, and yeah, I'll look into the controller add-on thing.

I disagree, I wouldn't call it "bad," more like uninspired. It's a hell of a lot better than 4, but nowhere near as good as 1-3. I'd say it's worth it if you can find it cheap, but I wouldn't go out of my way looking for it.
I think I probably am going to pick up MS7. I watched some videos, and yeah, I can see it not being the best of the series, but it still looks a lot of fun to me.

So anyway, I know we are living in the era of it being unavoidable to have to buy our games off the internet, but I still made the rounds this morning to see if I could find a game to hold me over until anything I order arrives -- and NOTHING. Horse shit up a bear's ass.

Target, when I was there last night picking up the system: not ONE dang game worth a shit. All princesses and Spongebnob and bad cartoon tie-in games and pets. Same at Toys R Us. Fine, I expected that. Best Buy today, more or less the same. They did at least have a Dragon Quest, but that's not what I want to start with. Fine, I expected that as well. But I at least thought I might find something at Gamestop, even if it was a little overpriced. No. Nothing anyone listed in this thread. Not new, anyway. They did have some of the recommendations here in used form. No thanks. I was looking at them and wondering how in the heck something so tiny as a DS game card could look so beat up? What are these kids doing to these cards? Then they have to stick a goopy price sticker on top of it being all beat up. And of course, no box or manual.

edit: Oh yeah, then I stopped at two mom & pop shops that happened to be on the path home -- kind of hoping to maybe find Radiant Historia or something -- and they had nothing, either.

So I came home, ordered the newest Castlevania (this one looks really fun) and Mortal Kombat off the internet, and I guess I'll just be playing Mario Kart until they show up. I think Code of Princess and World Ends are next.

One question about Advance Wars: Some reviews are saying the newest game isn't as good as the others, and is a little bit of a new direction. Is this true? Because it's the only one of the series that is the slightest bit affordable for me.

The World Ends With You is amazing

it's very odd though and has a deep learning curve

definitely not for everyone but something everyone should at least try
Yeah, that one looks really fun to me, and I was hoping one of the places I visited today might have it.

Last edited:

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Not sure why you can't find them cheaper in your area but I've seen a lot of original and complete Advance Wars Dual Strike going for $15ish on ebay, I was hunting for Tetris DS (which is also a must have, way better than Tetrix Axis) and also got a legit and complete copy of this game for 15ish.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Not sure why you can't find them cheaper in your area but I've seen a lot of original and complete Advance Wars Dual Strike going for $15ish on ebay
I haven't seen any in person anywhere.

I forgot to mention I did see Heroes of Mana. Is that any good? How does it compare with FF Tactics? And on the subject, how is FF Tactics 2?

I completely agree with the posting of Radiant Historia and Infinite Space.

I recommend Solatorobo: Red the Hunter. It's a 3D action game with a decent playtime and RPG elements.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Back with some more recommendations:

DS:

Izuna 1-2
Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword
The Dark Spire (like Etrian Odyssey. If you liked Wizardry on IBM or Apple, you will love this and EO)
Okamiden
Phoenix Wright series
Castlevania (all of them)
Resident Evil: Deadly Secret (a really cool port of the PS version of RE 1)
999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
Dragonquest 4-6
Dragonquest 9

3DS:

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3DS

Those are, IMO, the cream of the crop of my collection.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I just picked up Phantasy Star 0. I really missed out when this was launched. None of the PSP garbage, and more like the original.
Get it if you are a phantasy star fan for sure.

Also get Code of Princess