Happy Neo Geo X Owners

games_sk

Mr. Big's Thug
That's a bit of what I'm alluding to I suppose. I'm a fairly conservative guy when it comes to money. This may not be "right" or feasible to some, but I like having a (1) good nest egg, (2) put away lots of money for the future and (3) have a solid "rainy day" fund. That's a large percentage of after tax income that gets nailed away after bills!

I believe in having at least enough money in your rainy day fund to support your household for one year (I'm good for 2-3 at current lifestyle). That means mortgage, insurance, incidentals (auto repair, home repair, etc), any medical costs, utilities, food, gas, etc. Also need a buffer on top of that for various emergencies and things out of your control that pop up.

In this day and age when lifetime employment is not guaranteed, 401ks and social security are at risk... you gotta do what you gotta do to take care of yourself.

Once all that is satisfied, then you have actual disposable income left over for "fun stuff". I buy a lot of fun stuff, but I make sure all the other stuff listed above is taken care of first.

I know it can be tough in America's consumer, living the "high life" YOLO world haha.. especially when you see pictures of ridiculous collections on the internet. I know some guys out there think... hey I know that guy. If he can do it, I can too.

Sorry for the rant, but after seeing guys who basically live paycheck to paycheck buying expensive NeoGeo AES games (or whatever games, etc)... maybe even living at home with their parents and not making any real effort to save in order to leave the nest, frustrates me (those who are forced to stay home to take care of parents are exempt of course!).

Agree 100%... life in London ain't no picnic either. I'm studying & working trying to save as much as possible while having a bit of fun after paying the necessities. I used to be a chump buying expensive aes games when I clearly shouldn't have but thankfully I've realised my wrong doings in my early 20s & sorted things out nicely...

outlaw_moon

Marked Wolf
I am still not fully convinced. I have a feeling this will just turn into a collector's item :/ I think my collecting days are behind me. Lets say "expensive" collecting days.

Teddyboy16

Kuroko's Training Dummy
That always made me laugh inside about this place. So many people quick to spout about this and that, however a huge majority have never owned an AES/MVS. Fine you're a fan of NeoGeo games and are only able to play via ports/emulation for whatever reasons... but don't go off like you truly have "meaningful" first-hand experience with the real hardware.

Then there's the group that never should have owned an AES in the first place (at least not a sound economical decision on their part considering their current situation in life). They eventually realize MVS is a better fit for them. It is usually followed by endlessly ranting about how MVS is "superior" and virtually everyone should convert without regard as to who they're talking to.

^This

I own a modded AES and have had it for quite sometime now, and I've been lurking on the forums longer than I've owned my AES. I had JMKurtz mod it, and I learned about him here on the forums. First and foremost these are nothing but really neat expensive toys. I think people tend to loose sight of that, and let their passion about their hobby run amok. Prices for classic gaming have increased with its rise to prominence in popular culture.

I think the neo geo x is a neat piece of hardware and it would allow me to take my games on the go if I bought one which I might do. Neo Geo is a dead platform and SNKP is going to milk it's IP for all it's worth. There is a market for this kind of portable casual gaming and SNKP knows it. The portable will change the board demographics as more people join here because of it. Bottom line is that it's just a toy, but an enjoyable one no matter what platform you choose.

Like you "junk" thead btw. :-) its nice to see someone here from San Diego. I don't feel so isolated because im in North County.

tintin_uk

n00b
New to the forum (hello) but I have been following the action the last few weeks whilst I waited for my NeoGeo X to arrive.

Im not a purist and although I have a video gaming habit (350 games spread across 13 formats), I am not hardcore enough to pay the prices that owning the AES demands. For that reason, i'm very happy with my new purchase. I think the handheld is nicely designed. It would have been nicer to have a larger 4:3 screen rather than the widescreen. That said, I find the 4:3 setting too small so I am playing all the games stretched. The TV out signal isn't great but is improved with the £25 composite to HDMI converters you can get on Amazon/eBay. I'm encouraged by Tommo's comments on Reddit and hope they do continue to develop the unit and address its shortcomings.

I should add that my first unit was faulty and had to be sent back. Either the joystick or the base unit has a dodgy connection as their was no response to the stick when I played through my TV. It only took a few days for the replacement to come from Funstock/Blaze and it had a typed letter inside. I thought it was a nice touch. This is what it said:

"Dear Neil,

Thank you for purchasing the NEO GEO X gold system. We greatly appreciate the fact that you are one of the first people in the world to do so.

We are going on a journey with the NEO GEO X and we want to take you with us.

We are really sorry that you have experienced some issues with your console. Please find alongside the replacement handheld, this has been tested personally by the Managing Director as he does not want a repeat of this issue.

So you are aware, we started work on the NEO GEO X Gold system nearly three years ago. Everyone involved in this process, Tommo, BLAZE and Success have all been in video games, pretty much since the sector began, twenty five years or so ago. All the team involved in this process owned the original NEO GEO AES. We spent small fortunes collecting these great games and we all still have them now. We have therefore, rightly or wrongly, always seen SNK as the paramount brand in video games. It was our dream of working with SNK to develop this product. Our dream came true. We then spent the next years working closely with SNK in Japan having firstly our designs approved and then working hard with their testing teams, getting the relevant approvals to allow us to finally release the NEO GEO X. This has been no easy journey for us so far. Many of us have had to spend months on end in the Far East getting everything to where it is today, but as we see it, this is only the start of the journey.

If you had purchased the original NEO GEO X Gold system equivalent in 1992 (like we mostly did) it would have cost you over a whopping £5,000!!! Of course, as we have emulated the console (even with SNK's full backing and testing teams) we could never absolutely, like for like, make the 100% pixel perfect version, at our first attempt, but what we believe we have done is re-created the AES console experience and we are working on making the experience even closer to the original. Of course, if anyone really wants the true 100% AES package, they can still pay the thousands of pounds needed to do so, but in the meantime we shall strive to do all we can to ensure that you have a great system, fully supported by us, but most importantly fully-approved, tested and challenged by SNK.

We have also taken on board fully all the feedback we have seen, either directly from our customers or online. We are currently working on Game Cards, Gane Save Facilities, Software Updates and also a Travel Power Supply option for your NEO GEO X. Please check www.neogeox.com for the latest updates. As an early adaptor we shall arrange special rates for you and ensure that you are fully aware of any promotions.

So thanks again for joining us and please feel free to contact us about anything regarding your NEO GEO X experience and we shall do all we can to ensure it is as worthwhile and enjoyable as possible."

TT.

Zeek

n00b
^ LOL - sounds like someone is a wee bit guilty of the consumer reactions!

The one thing that made me happy about the NGX is that is prompted me to pull my NGH out of its box and play it again (for the record, I am on the fence with the NGX even though I have played the fuck out of it lately when I'm supposed to be working - "...Na it's cool, I'm rendering..." is a common excuse for me)

yoshi41

Crazed MVS Addict
Well, I'm pretty satisfied with what I got. But this letter makes me laughing.

What hard work please? Creating an emulator like FBA is hard work. Stealing their code isn't work at all. Did they really got an approval from SNK to use stolen emulator software?

tintin_uk

n00b
Well, I'm pretty satisfied with what I got. But this letter makes me laughing.

What hard work please? Creating an emulator like FBA is hard work. Stealing their code isn't work at all. Did they really got an approval from SNK to use stolen emulator software?

You can be cynical all you want but I see no gain for them in stating they worked with SNK/got their blessing on this if they didn't.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
You can be cynical all you want but I see no gain for them in stating they worked with SNK/got their blessing on this if they didn't.

Really? Why do you think they threw SNK logos all over their product?

tintin_uk

n00b
Really? Why do you think they threw SNK logos all over their product?

I'm not sure I follow. What I meant is that I believe their letter when they said they worked with SNK on this. Now you could criticise SNK on their quality control and attention to detail on this project but that's another argument.

gamesboro

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I'm aware that the code has been found on the unit. Seems strange to me that the author hasn't made a comment? Perhaps 'they' paid him for a license to use? Strikes me that if the author isn't bothered why should anyone else?

Because haters gonna hate.

Thanks for posting the letter tintin. Looking forward to pretty much everything they said. Software update, mobile charger, more games, and a save feature. I would also dig an official carry case.

yoshi41

Crazed MVS Addict
I'm aware that the code has been found on the unit. Seems strange to me that the author hasn't made a comment? Perhaps 'they' paid him for a license to use? Strikes me that if the author isn't bothered why should anyone else?

Because there's not a single author of FBA, it's a joint effort of many people over years. This is the nature of open source software. And it only works, if changes are open source again. This is how open source software evolves and therefore it's not allowed to use it commercially.

But sure, there might be agreement with someone (whoever that could be). I just did not see a statement yet.

Don't get me wrong. I was just laughing about that letter, since the hard work for such a device is the OS (specificially the drivers) and the emulation software. The Neo Geo X is not the only device with stolen software. There are plenty of chinese devices, with exactly the same issues.

Don't call me a hater please. I hate that. ;)

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never

I too personally dont give two shits but some people seem hell bent on trying to make this system fail for some unknown reason.

I also dont care if it is a Tommo product and not an SNK product, as long as SNK gave Tommo the licence to make the Neo Geo X then thats enough officiallity for me :)

They do need to get their finger out their asses though and start the roll out of more games plus fix the picture issues.

tintin_uk

n00b
Because there's not a single author of FBA, it's a joint effort of many people over years. This is the nature of open source software. And it only works, if changes are open source again. This is how open source software evolves and therefore it's not allowed to use it commercially.

Fair point on the multiple authors.

If a deal has been done in the background then its feasible that not every contributor has been rewarded and I would wish them luck on getting what's rightly due to them.

In the meantime, Tommo et al have at least had the bollocks to bring a product like this to market, rather than restrict emulation to lovers of obscure Asian hand-helds. Its not perfect, by their own admission, and the purists probably have a point about it being a cheap knock-off but then they have years of spending thousands on their hobby to defend.

I just thought it would be nice to keep one of the few positive threads in this forum, rem, positive!

TT.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I just thought it would be nice to keep one of the few positive threads in this forum, rem, positive!

TT.

A positive thread on NG.com?

Man... what have you been smoking?

xROTx

smccd

New Challenger
I find interesting that the adamant NGX detractors who use the "FBA can't be used to make money according to its licence, so NGX is illegal" bit don't realize that this makes the system that much more appealing to collectors :)

Come on, an official SNK product based on illegal software must be appealing at least a bit...

Thanks for posting the letter tintin. Looking forward to pretty much everything they said. Software update, mobile charger, more games, and a save feature. I would also dig an official carry case.

I want to add my thanks as well. Still having fun with the system and it's a little heartening to see these improvements mentioned. I just know I'll feel a whole lot better when I see an updated, expanded list of game cards!

Black Mamba

Banned
I love mine....The control pad or analog stick is a little hard to get used to with the fighting games. Mine is the 370 version. Im hoping Tommo gets their act together

New member here. :)

I'm loving this console so much. I never was into arcades back then so these are all new games to me. I'm pretty much Tommo's ideal audience. Apart from the lack of adding credits to games, hardware problems* and the reversed audio being output (left is right and right is left) this is one of my favourite consoles now. Me and my dad, who was big into arcades when he was younger, have been having a blast playing on the TV.

I can't wait for Tommo to release more games. I hope the wait won't be too long for the rest of the Metal Slug games.

*My stick wasn't working correctly on the handheld. I've been playing on the TV exclusively until I can deal with Tommo's customer service and get a replacement/repair.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
There have been many probs with this device, they have really shot themselves in the foot as its will defo put alot of buyers off, if they had released this problem free, it would have been a great success so really they need to limit damage and get fixing the probs before the next batch is available.

I am very happy with it but can see why so many complaints.

tintin_uk

n00b
There have been many probs with this device, they have really shot themselves in the foot as its will defo put alot of buyers off, if they had released this problem free, it would have been a great success so really they need to limit damage and get fixing the probs before the next batch is available.

I am very happy with it but can see why so many complaints.

The XBox 360 is arguably the best console of its generation but lets not forget all those red rings if death at the beginning. My first 360 broke down in its first hour of use. Doesn't stop it being a great machine when its working properly.

SSS

neo retired
The XBox 360 is arguably the best console of its generation but lets not forget all those red rings if death at the beginning. My first 360 broke down in its first hour of use. Doesn't stop it being a great machine when its working properly.

Are you really making the comparison between the 360 and the Neo X? One's a mainstream console with millions spent on R&D, the other's a piece of shit clone system with stolen software.

tintin_uk

n00b
Are you really making the comparison between the 360 and the Neo X? One's a mainstream console with millions spent on R&D, the other's a piece of shit clone system with stolen software.

Nope. Just saying that all tech is prone to failing, no matter how good it is. All those R&D millions didn't stop Microsoft rushing production and making a lot of faulty consoles.

This stolen software argument is very boring. The whole emulation gig is a copyright nightmare. I'm sure there are a lot of forum people here that play emulated ROMs that they don't own. Effectively the same thing.