Happy Neo Geo X Owners

Phatsaq

n00b
Pretty much where I am. I was hoping for a LEGIT NeoGeo handheld. Not a little emulator with some markings and a box that wants to make people THINK it's NeoGeo.

Unopened, and being returned to Gamestop in the morning.

I'll just take that money and buy an AES cart or two

yoshi41

Crazed MVS Addict
Glad someone finally took the initiative to start tracking that. Nice piece of info there.
The stat I'm interested in is...what percentage of those that purchased a NGX actually own something produced by SNK?
New NGX joiner here with some AES history. Bought my first AES in 1991 [#003490] and have now a small collection of 50 carts. Also own a NGPC with 15 carts (and a link cable, but no friend to play with :lolz:). Play now most of my NG favorites on various handhelds.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
BTW all the new members who have joined up and got one of these, theres no need to justify your purchase to the haters, this might be called Neo-Geo.com but theres less than 15 percent of members here who even own a neo geo home system lol

That always made me laugh inside about this place. So many people quick to spout about this and that, however a huge majority have never owned an AES/MVS. Fine you're a fan of NeoGeo games and are only able to play via ports/emulation for whatever reasons... but don't go off like you truly have "meaningful" first-hand experience with the real hardware.

Then there's the group that never should have owned an AES in the first place (at least not a sound economical decision on their part considering their current situation in life). They eventually realize MVS is a better fit for them. It is usually followed by endlessly ranting about how MVS is "superior" and virtually everyone should convert without regard as to who they're talking to.

was starting to become disappointed with the system in recent days but i've had a change of heart as i had played it more on my tv than in my hands, but last night i got tucked up in bed and decided yea time for some neo geo so i plugged in my headphones and made my way through nam 1975 for the first time(to stage 3 only mind its hard as nails) i must say the audio quality through the headphones is super nice, that's a little thing that must be noted as a plus point as personal audio is usually quite poor on handhelds i've found but on the ngx it's incredible no hissing and in lovely stereo :D fidelity is all there, it allowed me to shut off the world and dive into the game, its moments like those where i thought yea you know what this is a great little system for what it does just switch it on and bam your into some great games, no menus and what not they at least got the user friendlyness of it spot on, open source handhelds are great but the amount of stupid menus and lists of options got on my nerves with say the GP2X etc

The love/hate debate goes on :D, for now its in my good books, just need more games.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Pretty much where I am. I was hoping for a LEGIT NeoGeo handheld. Not a little emulator with some markings and a box that wants to make people THINK it's NeoGeo.

Unopened, and being returned to Gamestop in the morning.

I'll just take that money and buy an AES cart or two
Living in the UK, I was fortunate enough to have PPL in the US unfortunate enough to have to find out about the X's shortcomings first hand, and report their opinions here.

I really wanted the X to be more in terms of quality, not in expectation of what it could do (i.e. simply run internally installed roms on the handheld or on TV via docking station) but all the feedback I heard regarding it's inability to do both competently coupled with questionable build quality, for a not small amount (imo) of £180 regrettably saw me cancel my pre-order just a couple of days before we were due the UK release. I love the NeoGeo and was really sold on the concept of what the X was/is about, but as it stands, for now, I feel I made the right decision and like yourself, I plan to use that money (which was a Xmas gift to me) to invest in an AES title or two. I feel the money (MVS gags aside!) is better spent that way...

jrronimo

n00b
Another thing I absolutely love about the whole NGX package is the arcade stick: I plugged mine into my PC and fired up GGPO last night and went to town. It was absolutely fantastic! I have a number of other arcade sticks for other systems (my Ascii stick for Dreamcast is my favorite) but this was the most "authentic" experience I've ever had. Owning a NGX is making want either an AES or MVS more than ever. (AES is realistic; MVS is in my dreams, heh.)

As for owning other SNK hardware: I've had a NGPC for a few years now and played the *snot* out of SamSho2 for it. I've picked up most of the other games I'd want for the system, including a US cart for Faselei!, which I beat in a week and is one of my favorite portable games ever. I haven't played a strategy game like that since. The click-stick on the NGPC is the best portable stick ever; I wish there were more portables with that sort of a thing... though the NGX is pretty decent.

KBneospy

Marked Wolf
Then there's the group that never should have owned an AES in the first place (at least not a sound economical decision on their part considering their current situation in life). They eventually realize MVS is a better fit for them. It is usually followed by endlessly ranting about how MVS is "superior" and virtually everyone should convert without regard as to who they're talking to.

I almost fall into that group except for the ranting about how MVS is better I kinda wish I hadn't sold my entire AES collection for rent money but hey it is kinda silly to be spending 500+ on some of the games although I would probably do it again if I didn't have the wife and three year old. So for now the "X" as I like to call it is keeping my thirst for neo satisfied until I can finish the resto on my big red.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
I almost fall into that group except for the ranting about how MVS is better I kinda wish I hadn't sold my entire AES collection for rent money but hey it is kinda silly to be spending 500+ on some of the games although I would probably do it again if I didn't have the wife and three year old. So for now the "X" as I like to call it is keeping my thirst for neo satisfied until I can finish the resto on my big red.

That's a bit of what I'm alluding to I suppose. I'm a fairly conservative guy when it comes to money. This may not be "right" or feasible to some, but I like having a (1) good nest egg, (2) put away lots of money for the future and (3) have a solid "rainy day" fund. That's a large percentage of after tax income that gets nailed away after bills!

I believe in having at least enough money in your rainy day fund to support your household for one year (I'm good for 2-3 at current lifestyle). That means mortgage, insurance, incidentals (auto repair, home repair, etc), any medical costs, utilities, food, gas, etc. Also need a buffer on top of that for various emergencies and things out of your control that pop up.

In this day and age when lifetime employment is not guaranteed, 401ks and social security are at risk... you gotta do what you gotta do to take care of yourself.

Once all that is satisfied, then you have actual disposable income left over for "fun stuff". I buy a lot of fun stuff, but I make sure all the other stuff listed above is taken care of first.

I know it can be tough in America's consumer, living the "high life" YOLO world haha.. especially when you see pictures of ridiculous collections on the internet. I know some guys out there think... hey I know that guy. If he can do it, I can too.

Sorry for the rant, but after seeing guys who basically live paycheck to paycheck buying expensive NeoGeo AES games (or whatever games, etc)... maybe even living at home with their parents and not making any real effort to save in order to leave the nest, frustrates me (those who are forced to stay home to take care of parents are exempt of course!).

Last edited:

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
That always made me laugh inside about this place. So many people quick to spout about this and that, however a huge majority have never owned an AES/MVS. Fine you're a fan of NeoGeo games and are only able to play via ports/emulation for whatever reasons... but don't go off like you truly have "meaningful" first-hand experience with the real hardware.

Right on!

was starting to become disappointed with the system in recent days but i've had a change of heart as i had played it more on my tv than in my hands, but last night i got tucked up in bed and decided yea time for some neo geo so i plugged in my headphones and made my way through nam 1975 for the first time(to stage 3 only mind its hard as nails) i must say the audio quality through the headphones is super nice.

The sound isnt that great or loud on the hand held but plugging my head phones, I too have also played a few games in bed which was enjoyable and sound via the headphones is great. You cant really take an AES or MVS in bed with you (no sexual remarks :))and just lie on your back and play some neo games.

jago

I Wish I livedIn Belgium,
i have one neo x too, i'm happy with the design, the aes dock is pretty nice looking, the stick too,
stick work on ps3 but with a big latency i'm disappointed about that. tried on a pc and work fine, but i hate playing emus on pc.

i think i will be very happy when someone find a way to get a true rgb output for crt like the original harware (amazing with rgb on sony flat crt 100hz with cmvs and aes!)

hdmi out is nice but play old games on new génération tv is horrible everybody know.
maybe hdmi to scart analog rgb? i don't know if that thing exist.

also we need unibios absolutely, metal slug with white blood is not for me! why they use censored version damn!

Last edited:

KBneospy

Marked Wolf

People like you are my hero. Someday someday. I have way too much debt from going to school the last few years even though I hold a full time job. I see people way poorer than me doing better because they have family that helps, watches their Children so both parents can work, my family sucks and would never do that, my friends suck too. With my schedule I can't even split my time so my wife can work taking turns with the kid. When I'm finished with my classes though I will be able to clear off all debt and save massive money maybe send my wife back to school to finish her degree and I promise I won't be too impulsive, I have matured enough now to know I'm not single anymore and 4k on a watch cause I got a raise is never gonna happen again even when Im as rich as you big Tymerz.

My first post... :)

I am coming from Slovenia, where the arcades had a "long" life span compared to other countries in Europe.... You can still find some MVS in "bars".

I bought Asian NGX and at first I was disappointed.

- The build quality of hand held did not deliver a great first impression (the d-pad stucks when pressing right), but after playing for a while this doesn't bother me anymore. If something goes wrong I will fix it on my own.
- TV output is relay "bad", don't know why, but it's crap... I hope they'll fix this
+ the arcade sticks is great since i can use it on PC with Fina Burn Alpha, MAME... etc.
+ the docking station looks great, since i never owned NEO GEO (to expensive when I was a child). It looks nice beside my other consoles.

Now, overall I am really happy that I bought it. No regrets. ;)

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
People like you are my hero. Someday someday. I have way too much debt from going to school the last few years even though I hold a full time job. I see people way poorer than me doing better because they have family that helps, watches their Children so both parents can work, my family sucks and would never do that, my friends suck too. With my schedule I can't even split my time so my wife can work taking turns with the kid. When I'm finished with my classes though I will be able to clear off all debt and save massive money maybe send my wife back to school to finish her degree and I promise I won't be too impulsive, I have matured enough now to know I'm not single anymore and 4k on a watch cause I got a raise is never gonna happen again even when Im as rich as you big Tymerz.

First off, sorry to derail this thread... but this is something I feel passionate about. If the majority of people in the US were a bit more responsible with money, things might not be so bad as they are today. I hope you succeed in your goals sir and nice to see someone with some old fashioned common sense values.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Definite happy owner here.

My only gripe would be the shitty HDMI output. I haven't tried to play with my TV setting nor have I tried AV output so we'll see if that makes a difference.

Also, those complaining about the high price have obviously never forked out on anything SNK related before - deal with your PS2 port collections then.

crujones4life

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Having a ton of fun with this handheld! Played through Magician Lord and Cyber-Lip so far. What other games have infinite continues? Nam-75 needs them...

chimera

New Challenger
BTW all the new members who have joined up and got one of these, theres no need to justify your purchase to the haters, this might be called Neo-Geo.com but theres less than 15 percent of members here who even own a neo geo home system lol

yes i agree. im new here but i have a us aes. i really dont care what people are saying bad about the neo geo x lol. me and my friends can have fun playing the aes and ngx for hours and we dont have nothing bad to say. a lot of people hate just to hate and jump on the train everybody is on lol.

Lee Gray

As a stand alone handheld there would have been alot less hate I think as main prob is the TV quality.
I was thinking of taking it on the train with me when I visit my parents but then it might piss the passengers off with the constant clicky noise, shame you cant put headphones over the clicky pad.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I was thinking of taking it on the train with me when I visit my parents but then it might piss the passengers off with the constant clicky noise

If anyone gives you grief, just flip 'em the bird and quote "Neo Geo for life!".

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I've had mine for about a week now and I am happy to say that I am one of the few that are enjoying the product. The picture on my TV is not perfect, but I find it perfectly playable, once I get into the game I start to not even notice.

As for the handheld itself, it is great. The build and look are very good, it really has impressed friends that I have showed it to (no touching though!). I do wish the screen wasn't widescreen, surely no one is playing it like that? But if it saved on production costs then I can see why they used them and the small black borders really don't bother me.

Lee Gray

I dont mind playing it widescreen on handheld as its too small otherwise, occasionally I switch.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
I play mine in widescreen on the handheld. 4:3 bugs me on it, seeing that much unused screen space drives me apeshit. I'm not a purist, so original aspect ratios aren't important to me.

Nerdy

Kabuki Klasher
I received my Neo Geo X today, just had 20 minutes to play around with it before going to work .

From what i played, looks pretty decent to me

Played Metal Slug on the handheld and it looks fine on my X.

Played a lil bit of world heroes and last resort on the dock, and i can notice some "graphical" issues but nothing of a deal breaker, i know it is not perfect, but since all the issues seem to be software related im hoping from a fix from Tommo or the community.

The unboxing was something magical.

mlloyd

Morden's Lackey
I've had mine for about a week now and I am happy to say that I am one of the few that are enjoying the product. The picture on my TV is not perfect, but I find it perfectly playable, once I get into the game I start to not even notice.

As for the handheld itself, it is great. The build and look are very good, it really has impressed friends that I have showed it to (no touching though!). I do wish the screen wasn't widescreen, surely no one is playing it like that? But if it saved on production costs then I can see why they used them and the small black borders really don't bother me.

I totally agree with your views on the handheld. You don't need to say "one of the few that are enjoying the product" like you're apologising for liking it. I think a majority of owners are enjoying it too.

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
I'm not 100% happy... but, I am content. I play my NGX every day (mostly) but I really would like to play some new games.

Lee Gray

I think the majority of owners are happy enough. Although there are defo alot of valid complaints, the picture does need sorting out and the hand held brightness is way too dim and sound not loud enough.......Tommo know this themselves.
I dont think 1 owner is 100 percent happy with the TV quality but alot of us want to support the system and are enjoying it for what it is and just hope they sort the issues out.