Happy Neo Geo X Owners

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
I'm happy with mine. Disappointed in the TV-out, but oh well. It's still playable in that way, and the handheld itself is baller. No problems with that portion.

alsmoneo

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Happy owner of the X but noticing the control pad starting to get worn out. Got my AES today and the arcade stick on the original Neo does feel better then the one that came with the X.

I've been lurking here for years, but getting a NEOGEO X has prompted me to finally setup an account.

I'm happy with mine. It's not perfect - I'm annoyed with the screen tearing and with the TV out (mainly the bottom of the screen getting cut off), but we've had a lot of fun with it at home despite the issues. Despite the bottom getting cut off, the HDMI-out looks pretty nice on both of my TVs at home.

I'm also willing to believe that Tommo will release updates that fix some of the issues. The only thing I'm nervous about is the durability of the thumbstick on the handheld itself. I've had no problems so far but the reports from others are a little worrying.

SlowMvngTarget

trailblazer800

New Challenger
It's just a wonderfull piece of shit. I mean, why should you play any games on the thing? Use your AES, MVS for playing and store this in a nice glass vitrine just to admire it's beauty. It's SNK, so it's OK and it's a milestone for the real NG fanboy.

:lolz:

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
I love my Neo Geo X so far. I have yet to hook it up to my TV, but as a handheld I love the size its not as bulky as my Vita :lol:

It's just a wonderfull piece of shit. I mean, why should you play any games on the thing? Use your AES, MVS for playing and store this in a nice glass vitrine just to admire it's beauty. It's SNK, so it's OK and it's a milestone for the real NG fanboy.

Use my AES or MVS? I would if I had one, but I've yet to find a setup justifiable for my budget. Is it possible to get an AES or consolized MVS, two good-quality arcade sticks, and a few enjoyable game carts for US $250? Possibly, I guess, but I haven't found it.

Please let me know if I'm wrong. I'm sincere. I'm having so much fun with the NGX that I would like to own some cart-based hardware one of these days. No, the X isn't perfect, but the at-home play has been a great deal of fun for me.

jrronimo

n00b
Use my AES or MVS? I would if I had one, but I've yet to find a setup justifiable for my budget. Is it possible to get an AES or consolized MVS, two good-quality arcade sticks, and a few enjoyable game carts for US $250? Possibly, I guess, but I haven't found it.

Please let me know if I'm wrong. I'm sincere. I'm having so much fun with the NGX that I would like to own some cart-based hardware one of these days. No, the X isn't perfect, but the at-home play has been a great deal of fun for me.

There's a store near me in Boulder, CO called "Gameforce" that had an AES system for $285 last time I was in. I don't remember what all it came with, though. I've seen a few NG's on Craigslist as well... the trick is to keep searching and someday you'll get lucky. :) My dream is to own an MVS system with a couple of games... not sure what, yet, though. I've got time to figure it all out...

As for me, I picked up an NGX and I love it so far. It's just a fun little system, showing me what I only ever had in the arcades, before. And it's portable! And I can help support SNK! Maybe they'll finally squeeze out a Garou 2 for me, haha.

My other thought was: "When evere again am I going to be able to own a Neo Geo officially licensed ANYTHING for $200???" :)

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man

Taking a MVS to McDonalds or the park while the kids are playing is a pretty baller way to do things. I load the cab up in the van, keep a portable generator ready to run, a full gas can, and all 80 or so of my MVS carts in a box so I'm ready to go at a moments notice.

Seriously, my cabs are in the garage and it's fucking cold in there right now. The X will let me play my games from the warm comfort of my couch while not interfering with the kids watching Spongebob on TV. With 6 people in my house, it's kind of a dick move to monopolize the TV for games that only I enjoy while I also monopolize the whole garage as a gameroom as well.

TLH

Zero's Secretary
Pretty cool, You can use the arcade stick for pc mame stuff as it is usb. I think you can probably use it on a PS3 as well. The games list should have included Neo Turfmasters, but Tommo will probably make more sd cards for it soon.. I like the system...

Last edited:

mlloyd

Morden's Lackey
I am extremly happy with the Neo-Geo X. I have had both an AES Collection and an MVS Collection but money/life seemed to always get in the way and I had to sell them. I just love NeoGeo games and I'm stoked with it!!! I even like to play it on the hand held with the screen stretched!!

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Playing Neo games on a handheld device makes Neo Dio cry.

Ben Richards

New Challenger
Have you tested them at all side by side to see if there's any differences in things like the video output and audio emulation? I was wondering if the 370 had better output than the 337, mainly because there was somewhat varied opinions ok the video quality. Also I've not experienced any screen tearing, at least on the handheld.

I finally got around to trying both models, and I swear that the 337 had a better output, looked cleaner, and brighter. I fired them up side by side and went through the same screens, and yes, it seemed that the 337 was better handheld wise. Since I really couldn't check them out on a TV side by side, I still noticed that the 337 seemed to have better output to HDMI with less tearing. I didn't try the composite cable though, as my TV just has HDMI inputs.

I finally got around to trying both models, and I swear that the 337 had a better output, looked cleaner, and brighter. I fired them up side by side and went through the same screens, and yes, it seemed that the 337 was better handheld wise. Since I really couldn't check them out on a TV side by side, I still noticed that the 337 seemed to have better output to HDMI with less tearing. I didn't try the composite cable though, as my TV just has HDMI inputs.

Thanks for comparing them, Ben Richards! Hopefully that adds a little more hope that we just need a firmware update to improve TV output for those of us with v.370 installed.

There's a store near me in Boulder, CO called "Gameforce" that had an AES system for $285 last time I was in. I don't remember what all it came with, though. I've seen a few NG's on Craigslist as well... the trick is to keep searching and someday you'll get lucky. :) My dream is to own an MVS system with a couple of games... not sure what, yet, though. I've got time to figure it all out...

Thanks. I won't give up then.. once I've recovered from the Christmas present-buying damage, I'll be patient and watch for a deal on a system later this year.

jrronimo said:
As for me, I picked up an NGX and I love it so far. It's just a fun little system, showing me what I only ever had in the arcades, before. And it's portable! And I can help support SNK! Maybe they'll finally squeeze out a Garou 2 for me, haha.

My other thought was: "When evere again am I going to be able to own a Neo Geo officially licensed ANYTHING for $200???"

This was my thinking in a way as well. I wanted to throw my support behind a fun-to-play attempt to get SNK/NEOGEO-branded product out there.

TSOLfan

New Challenger
Thanks. I won't give up then.. once I've recovered from the Christmas present-buying damage, I'll be patient and watch for a deal on a system later this year.

This was my thinking in a way as well. I wanted to throw my support behind a fun-to-play attempt to get SNK/NEOGEO-branded product out there.

Mine as well. I was looking into picking up an AES back around the time King of Fighters 99 came out, though, was in college and had a ton of other expenses, and not much income. I "settled" for a Neo Geo Pocket Color, which I racked up a ton of time on KOF R-2 and SNK vs Capcom MOTM while waiting for classes to start, as well as picking up Dreamcast ports of Neo Geo titles.

So for me, the Neo Geo X is my "soft" entry into AES titles, and I'm now looking into picking up an actual AES unit and some titles.

mlloyd

Morden's Lackey
I'm happy with mine. Disappointed in the TV-out, but oh well. It's still playable in that way, and the handheld itself is baller. No problems with that portion.

I'm super stoked with my handheld, I like to play it with the screen stretched! I'm confused with the output people are getting. Playing mine on a 40inch HD TV looks like crap on the standard connection. On HD it looks much better! On the TV I play it unstretched. That said I haven't tested it on any other TV's.

enix2093

Crazed MVS Addict
I'm curious, what is the big complaint about the video out to TV? I haven't hooked mine up to TV yet, but does the HDMI not output in HD or something?

Diggerman

Zero's Tailor
ngxcomparenumbered.jpg

2. JXD S5110

Robert Broglia provides the best emulators on Android. For NG it's NEO.emu, very good emulator, similar to GnGeo. The problem here is the cheap hardware and the d-pad. I'm waiting for the upcoming JXD S5600B, which seems to have decent controls.

Have you considered the GCW Zero? It's not Android based, but I think that's a plus actually, since all Androids have issues with sound lagging. The Zero should be able to run emus at very good speeds (probably as good or better than Pandora), has a 4:3 LCD and very good build and function quality (according to owner impressions so far). I think it may be the best overall of these little emu devices.

I posted a thread about the GCW Zero in the handhelds forum if anyone wants more info.

Last edited:
I'm curious, what is the big complaint about the video out to TV? I haven't hooked mine up to TV yet, but does the HDMI not output in HD or something?

I am in NO WAY an expert, but it seems like it depends on your firmware revision and your TV's capabilities & features. The docking station outputs a 480p signal via the HDMI cable, according to the official FAQ. This is not typically considered "high-definition" (which is more like 720p, 720i, 1080i, 1080p).

It looks pretty good on both of my TVs via the HDMI cable, except for cutting off just a bit of the screen at the bottom.

The complaint with the TV-out is that some people saw an overly red tint to the video output (I don't see this on my 370) and that there is screen tearing (I definitely see this.) There is also some weird kind of interpolation going on that makes everything a touch fuzzy and makes the colours bleed somewhat. I'm optimistic that all of this will be easily killed off with a couple of firmware updates, either unofficial or from the boys with spanners...

enix2093

Crazed MVS Addict
Why the fuck is it HDMI if it doesn't output in at least 720? That's the impression I got when I bought mine that it would be crisp and clear pixels. Ugh.
I guess I'll hook it up tonight and see for myself...but that kind of sucks.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
BTW all the new members who have joined up and got one of these, theres no need to justify your purchase to the haters, this might be called Neo-Geo.com but theres less than 15 percent of members here who even own a neo geo home system lol

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
BTW all the new members who have joined up and got one of these, theres no need to justify your purchase to the haters, this might be called Neo-Geo.com but theres less than 15 percent of members here who even own a neo geo home system lol

Glad someone finally took the initiative to start tracking that. Nice piece of info there.
The stat I'm interested in is...what percentage of those that purchased a NGX actually own something produced by SNK?

enix2093

Crazed MVS Addict
I used to own 2 AES consoles, both complete and an MVS cab, and a ton of games, but unfortunately I had to sell all that shit. I was hoping the NGX would have been a solid substitute, and at first it seemed so, but now that I've actually hooked it up to my TV, I'm starting to think not. I wasn't really looking for a portable Neo so much as a cheap console with prospects of cheap games or maybe even new games. It's not a bad handheld, but that's not what I wanted. Guess I'm better off with an MVS and a multicart. Sigh...back to craigslist I go.