Happy Neo Geo X Owners

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
Pretty sure there are some :)
I like it, picture could be alot better on TV but thats about it, I am happy enough.

Last edited:

slerch666

updyke,
I'm about as happy as I expected.

I expected issues. We got them. I expected to find fun games I hadn't played before. I got them. I expected nice arcade sticks. I got them.

I expected to be disappointed with something with the system. I am - screen tearing and horrible video out kills this as a device I can use on my TV. We also got shoddy audio emulation, which is crazy considering MAME has done it properly (audio and video) for years.

As a handheld system, it's pretty nice. It's not as low quality as I expected. I like using it. I don't like toggling to proper aspect ratios - that's shit.

I'm unhappy it was $200 and not as good as it should have been at that price. At the $140 hand held only price, it's not too bad though IMO. At $200, even with the AES dock and the stick, it feels like it was overpriced. That's just me.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I'm happy with my purchase and would still recommend the system.

The biggest letdown: The LCD on the handheld. Wrong aspect ratio (which was to be expected in this day and age), and poor viewing angle. The quality of the shoulder buttons are a close second, but since I hate shoulder buttons and avoid using them whenever I can, it was no great loss to me.

yoshi41

Crazed MVS Addict
It's a nice addition to any handheld collection...

ngxcompare.png

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
lukemorse turned me off to the whole thing

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
It's a nice addition to any handheld collection...

ngxcompare.png

Nice!

Can you do me a small favor please?
Would you please list names of each of those devices and rank them from top to bottom with regards to which device does the best job of playing neo geo games.
If you can do that, I thank you! :)

mungrin

Panko KING,
Someone likes Last Resort it looks like. How's Pandora? Was it worth the hype?

smccd

New Challenger
I am a happy owner because:
  • The price was reasonable
  • Its release was a historic event, given that it's an SNK-licenced product
  • It's actually quite fun to play
  • Great addition to any SNK/Neo Geo collection (more accessible than most other SNK systems)

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Happy owner here. I bought the thing because it looked like a Dingoo with nicer build quality and a clicky pad, and I got exactly what I paid for. The video output sucks, but I mostly fixed that with a video converter. The main thing I want now is unibios on the thing, which is already possible once I figure it out.

mosaic

n00b
I'm happy with the purchase. But I knew what I was getting from the get-go; and have this small smidgen of faith that Tommo will add a country toggle or that we'll get an alternate firmware for that.

Also really like the joysticks!

yoshi41

Crazed MVS Addict
ngxcomparenumbered.jpg

Ok, here the names and some comments about arcade emulation...

1. Openpandora GHz Version

This is the real arcade handheld (with best controls). It runs a recent FBA version, GnGeo, PanMAME, MAME EX and MAME4ALL. FBA plays SF III 3rd Strike at full speed and even PGM games run fine. GnGeo supports raster games.

And the Pandora is really more than that, it's a very small Linux netbook and can even emulate a x86 PC, see here.

Unfortunately, it's pretty expensive. If you can afford it, get one, it's really a unique machine.

2. JXD S5110

Robert Broglia provides the best emulators on Android. For NG it's NEO.emu, very good emulator, similar to GnGeo. The problem here is the cheap hardware and the d-pad. I'm waiting for the upcoming JXD S5600B, which seems to have decent controls.

3. Yinlips YDP-G16

Similar to JXD S5110, but faster and better size. The d-pad is even worse, just 4 loose buttons.

4. Sony Xperia Play

Still the best Android handheld with buttons IMHO. A bit small for my hands and the CPU could be faster.

5. Gemei A330

The built-in MVS/CPS/CPS2 emulators are pretty good (for it's price). It has problems with raster games and zoom effects. Unfortunately, there is practically no support from the opensource community.

6. Dingoo A320 (the original)

It has built-in MVS/CPS1/CPS2 emulators, runs MAME4ALL, FBA and some others (on native OS, Dingux and OpenDingux). Pretty nice machine with long battery life. The CPU could be faster.

7. GPH Caanoo

Nice robust handheld which runs GnGeo, CPS2, FBA and MAME4ALL pretty well. It has an analog stick instead of a d-pad.

8. GPH Wiz

Nice robust handheld which runs GnGeo, CPS2, FBA and MAME4ALL pretty well. It has a brilliant OLED display.

9. GPH GP2X (F100/F200)

Nice robust handheld which runs GnGeo, CPS2, FBA and MAME4ALL pretty well. My F100 is being repaired, therefore not on the picture.

10. Neo Geo X

I like it pretty much for it's size and the "clicky" d-pad. I'm just a bit skeptical about the robustness of the d-pad and I miss some rubber coating on it. FBA needs some refinement. But if Dingux can be installed easily, without opening the device, it will be no longer necessary. :D

I would say, all handhelds run NG games pretty well. But none of them supports all games and most have problems with raster effects (and zooming).

For some of the handhelds, I have made some fact sheets with the most important emulators...

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,5,466

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,5,696

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,5,542

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/dingoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,23,507

PS: Don't worry mods. These links do not contain ROMs. The opensource handheld community is pretty much aware of that!

Ben Richards

New Challenger
Thanks Yoshi41 and Mendel, I was wondering the same thing, as owning the Neo Geo X has kindled my interest in getting a handheld gaming system that would emulate most everything, like on the computer. I am pretty happy with my Neo X and hopefully, Tommo or the Neo Geo forums will get it running right so we can enjoy the games the way we should. The joystick is also pretty nice, as I have two systems (one for me and my son, luckily got a 370 and 337). The dock is what I really am disappointed with and especially the charge conditions. Overall I am pleased for what it is and does.
I am a real Noob when it comes to code and emulation, so how hard are the above systems when it comes to transferring and using them? I would hate to get a nice handheld and screw it up and the things they are talking about on the neo Geo X hacking board, forget it, as I would be lost. I work in the medical field and can save people's lives everyday, but the things they talk about doing over there, would leave me with a pile of junk! Thanks for your info! Which one would you suggest for the performance and ease of using for a first timer, I hear the directions they come with are not very good?
Also, I happened to pick up a At Sega Genesis portable from the, above of all places, the dollar store (it was $40 though!). It is a genesis emulator with some sound problems, but not bad. The cool thing is, that you download roms straight off of the net on a SD card and you can use them with no modification at all.

Mattroid

Edo Express Delivery Guy
15 Year Member
Nice rundown of all those systems. I've almost bought several of those over the years, but the only one I have (aside from the NGX) is a GP2X F100. I enjoyed it for what it was, but I thought the community would be bigger for such a device. In the end, I mainly used it for a media player to my TV of the time, though that has since been replaced with many other superior devices/technology. I did like the stick on the F100, though. Not as good as the NGPC's stick, but still pretty nice.

how hard are the above systems when it comes to transferring and using them?
I can't speak for all of them, but if they're anything like the GP2X (#9), it's pretty much drag and drop, from what I recall. The system is made to be 'open' so you don't really have to do any hacking or anything, just drag the game/emulator onto a SD card, plug it in and go.

Last edited:

yoshi41

Crazed MVS Addict
I am a real Noob when it comes to code and emulation, so how hard are the above systems when it comes to transferring and using them? I would hate to get a nice handheld and screw it up and the things they are talking about on the neo Geo X hacking board, forget it, as I would be lost. I work in the medical field and can save people's lives everyday, but the things they talk about doing over there, would leave me with a pile of junk! Thanks for your info! Which one would you suggest for the performance and ease of using for a first timer, I hear the directions they come with are not very good?
Well, the opensource handhelds do not need to be modded or hacked, they are designed to run homebrew software.

To start with, I would recommend a GPH Caanoo or Wiz (they are no longer produced, you need to get a used one). The GP2X community is not very active any more (most developers now support the Openpandora), but helpful. And the software library is pretty big.

The fact sheets and emu packs above help you getting started.

PS: Sorry for getting off-topic.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Wow! I had no idea that Pandora ever physically released in the end. Nice to see it in the flesh as it were, as I thought that one may have just ended up as a pipe dream!

Back on topic: Glad your happy with your X Lee. Sadly, after hearing about all the negativity surrounding the TV Out, I decided to cancel my pre-order. Whilst some are a bit blasé about spending £200 (give or take) on a something that doesn't perform to one's hopes and expectations (which is subjective) I can't afford to be outlaying £200 on something I know I would be unsatisfied with. Whilst I'll admit I'm a little jealous of the new-found excitement the console has created, I feel I made the right decision for me. I will be watching to see what happens in the future with interest and optimism regarding the X though, as it would be great to think these issues/niggles could be software corrected or even improved (i.e. filters, scaling options and scanline generation - something I REALLY expected to be considered a basic inclusion for the X anyway, if I was honest).

Ben Richards

New Challenger
Yes, sorry a little off topic but thanks for the advice:). I am happy with my X, just want it to be up to par and I think that it soon, will be whether Tommo or the forum. It has the potential to be the ultimate Neo geo Portable, if it works out, and that is what I want, a really good to great Neo Geo portable that allows you to switch regions/firmware/properties and give great graphics and sound. I bought the Neo Geo system when it came out in the '90's, and at the time, who could have ever imagined that we would be able to have it portable with so many games!

I hope they iron out the NGX's flaws but overall I'm happy. I also like that I can plug my NGX arcade stick into my Playstation 3 and play Metal Slug X(PSone game). I'm also happy that I can support SNK.

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
The Pandora seems like buyers remorse incarnate. $500 for an underpowered linux laptop with shoddy build quality.

The X so far seems great in hardware but only lacking in software. Once it's fully hacked it'll be perfect!

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
ngxcomparenumbered.jpg

Ok, here the names and some comments about arcade emulation...

1. Openpandora GHz Version

This is the real arcade handheld (with best controls). It runs a recent FBA version, GnGeo, PanMAME, MAME EX and MAME4ALL. FBA plays SF III 3rd Strike at full speed and even PGM games run fine. GnGeo supports raster games.

And the Pandora is really more than that, it's a very small Linux netbook and can even emulate a x86 PC, see here.

Unfortunately, it's pretty expensive. If you can afford it, get one, it's really a unique machine.

2. JXD S5110

Robert Broglia provides the best emulators on Android. For NG it's NEO.emu, very good emulator, similar to GnGeo. The problem here is the cheap hardware and the d-pad. I'm waiting for the upcoming JXD S5600B, which seems to have decent controls.

3. Yinlips YDP-G16

Similar to JXD S5110, but faster and better size. The d-pad is even worse, just 4 loose buttons.

4. Sony Xperia Play

Still the best Android handheld with buttons IMHO. A bit small for my hands and the CPU could be faster.

5. Gemei A330

The built-in MVS/CPS/CPS2 emulators are pretty good (for it's price). It has problems with raster games and zoom effects. Unfortunately, there is practically no support from the opensource community.

6. Dingoo A320 (the original)

It has built-in MVS/CPS1/CPS2 emulators, runs MAME4ALL, FBA and some others (on native OS, Dingux and OpenDingux). Pretty nice machine with long battery life. The CPU could be faster.

7. GPH Caanoo

Nice robust handheld which runs GnGeo, CPS2, FBA and MAME4ALL pretty well. It has an analog stick instead of a d-pad.

8. GPH Wiz

Nice robust handheld which runs GnGeo, CPS2, FBA and MAME4ALL pretty well. It has a brilliant OLED display.

9. GPH GP2X (F100/F200)

Nice robust handheld which runs GnGeo, CPS2, FBA and MAME4ALL pretty well. My F100 is being repaired, therefore not on the picture.

10. Neo Geo X

I like it pretty much for it's size and the "clicky" d-pad. I'm just a bit skeptical about the robustness of the d-pad and I miss some rubber coating on it. FBA needs some refinement. But if Dingux can be installed easily, without opening the device, it will be no longer necessary. :D

I would say, all handhelds run NG games pretty well. But none of them supports all games and most have problems with raster effects (and zooming).

For some of the handhelds, I have made some fact sheets with the most important emulators...

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,5,466

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,5,696

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,5,542

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/dingoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,23,507

PS: Don't worry mods. These links do not contain ROMs. The opensource handheld community is pretty much aware of that!

This is awesome man, except the part about me looking to buy a bunch more stuff this year! :p

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
Just beat Kuroko on the Neo Geo X, couldnt film playing it with camera though so just got beginning and end as was totally unexpected as hadnt played against him since the neo cd in 95-96
251373_10151308148237020_236022140_n.jpg

407449_10151308148417020_998881753_n.jpg

Unfortunately had no way to film me playing him with my phone as was not ready plus cant do two things at once, so I filmed the Beginning and end to show it was before the first cut scene, In the very first round I finished haohmaru with a super special and then the second round sliced him in half which gave me a huge bonus of 37500 points which must have set up the meeting because I won the next two matches normal.

Last edited:

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I have two systems (one for me and my son, luckily got a 370 and 337).

Have you tested them at all side by side to see if there's any differences in things like the video output and audio emulation? I was wondering if the 370 had better output than the 337, mainly because there was somewhat varied opinions ok the video quality. Also I've not experienced any screen tearing, at least on the handheld.

That said I love mine! And thanks to it I now need to locate a copy of Baseball Stars 2 for my cabinet! That game is the bomb!

karr80

n00b
I am extremely satisfied, but I wish they would hurry up and announce more games.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
I am extremely satisfied, but I wish they would hurry up and announce more games.

1. They have to figure out which games they want to pursue. It was only about a week or so ago before they posted on their Facebook page asking which games the fans are more interested in seeing.

2. They need to navigate bureaucratic paper work/red tape between Tommo, SNKP, lawyers etc.

3. Tommo's probably a "small" company

4. The added delay due to the Holidays and what not

Those are the big points in what I see as creating a hold-up in terms of a simple announcement.