NEO GEO X - Bitching and Ranting thread

It is licensed but not supported by snk. It is "supported" by a company that has failed many times before and has done nothing but copy and steal from other devs. Its running dingux emulators and also ships with the psx bios for crying out loud. And since when are analog sticks clicky like that? Sounds more like a digital than analog.

Apart from 'officialness', I consider control scheme pretty important. I don't want to play NeoGeo games on a PSP/GCW for the same reason I don't play N64 games on a keyboard.
The d-pad on gcw feels and responds better than the analog(I swear it feels like a digital) joystick on the neogeo x. So that being said the layout is the same.

xarcade

Quiz Detective
I thought this would be interesting to share here on the "Bitching and Ranting" thread.

(Not my video)
http://blip.tv/first-drop/do-not-buy-the-neo-geo-x-gold-6480336

I thought the build quality would be better than it is; if it was I would probably keep it. After considering how much the NGX costs and what you get, I'm not going to waste anymore time with this. I'm returning this low-budget emulator. I really thought this would be a nice little quality setup for other emulators, but it seems my expectations were too high. Maybe I'll get another NGX when the prices drop to around $50. I need to go play my 4-slot cab and Neo Geo Pocket Color to remind myself what SNK/Neo Geo is really about.

Neo Geo Pocket Color > Neo Geo X

Last edited:

cabear

n00b
i never got the ngx hate but as i sat over the weekend trying to have some fun on this thing it dawned on me that this really is shovelware. i did buy it for the hdmi out and the ability to hack it for more roms, emulators etc but even that is starting to seem like a chore to do, something i could easily accomplish on another open source handheld.

Are the new games just going to be old neo geo roms on sd cards? Meh if so.

i'm waiting to see what other dvances are made on the hacking front but i am not holding my breath.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
I still don't get the logic behind this thing. Why buy a handheld that only plays neo geo emulations when you can buy one that can play just about everything (right out of the box)? To me it's just a handheld because the TV out seems like an afterthought. Not to mention the ridiculous warranty which has me questioning the build quality right off the bat.

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire

Oh look, it's that guy who receives a DOA product and then bashes it instead of getting a working unit. Less informative than Luke's video, somehow.

I don't understand why I keep seeing "I'll get it when it's $50". Even if you're not satisfied with the software/dock, the handheld itself is never going to be that cheap. Even the Dingoo is ~$100, for weaker hardware.

Last edited:

BloodShed

New Challenger
And since when are analog sticks clicky like that? Sounds more like a digital than analog.
Why do you think it's analog?? It's not.

The NGX has the same "clicky" digital thumbstick design used in the Neo Geo Pocket. The NGP is not nearly as loud but the click is from the switch activation. The NGP was attempting to replicate the feel of an 8-way arcade joystick as close as possible in the form of a thumb controlled directional. I'm sure the NGX thumbstick was deliberately attempting to replicate the unique NGP design.

SSS

neo retired
The Neo Geo X uses a scaled down version of the thumbstick found in a Neo Geo CD pad. There's 4 microswitches. The joystick shaft is square and is confined in a square gate.

it's a digital control.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
I was checking this out earlier

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
That Archos pad (what the?) looks amazing. Hilarious that he's using one of those sticks with it too. Check out that fuckin screen!

Why do you think it's analog?? It's not.
If you were referring to me. I know it is not analog. I was trying to get the point across to this guy without starting and argument by repeating that sounds like it is digital.

Two things sold me on the NGX that none of the other portable devices can or do offer.
1. It's a licensed product and it shows support and enthusiasm for the SNKP brand. Extrapolate from that what you can.
2. It has a fucking awesome analog stick.

ronald0

Crazed MVS Addict
All the components - the stick, the docking station and the handheld - reeks of low quality. I expect something to break after a few sessions. Wasn't hoping for too much, so I'm not really disappointed. I think it's a bit sad that this has "Neo Geo" in it's name though...

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
On the handheld they need to increase brightness on the screen and make the sound louder
Also we should be able to customize the buttons because I was just playing world heroes perfect and usually on this game I mainly use the hardest kick option but trying to push down C=D at the same time via the handheld whilst playing is pretty awkward.

Decepticreep

Street Hoop Star
Two things sold me on the NGX that none of the other portable devices can or do offer.
1. It's a licensed product and it shows support and enthusiasm for the SNKP brand. Extrapolate from that what you can.
2. It has a fucking awesome analog stick.

Play a NGPC then

Last edited:

BloodShed

New Challenger
Pretty sure qbert is part of the team working on the GCW...
Yeah, he is.

I am interested in this but I'm still kinda' on the fence. The hardware is pretty comparable to the NGX (but with double the RAM and built-in Wifi). I'd rather have double the resolution though. Touch would have also been nice for ScummVm. Also wish it had a second analog nub. The rest seems great.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Ten days has passed and his kickstarter hasn't even reached 2% of its goal.

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
Ten days has passed and his kickstarter hasn't even reached 2% of its goal.

Ten? It's only been one. But yeah, I don't see that goal getting reached anytime soon..
Personally I've always been extremely wary of these homebrew devices. Even if the guy was 'fired', when the one thing not made in China is the bezel and it covers the screen..I really doubt anybody that's disappointed with their X would be satisfied with this by a long-shot.

ronald0

Crazed MVS Addict

yoshi41

Crazed MVS Addict
Why don't we get a proper Neo Geo AES handheld. I'm sick of emulation and re-buying games I already own. :annoyed:

There are examples of handhelds, playing the same games as the TV console...

PC Engine GT

pcegt.jpg

Sega Genesis Nomad

nomadqr.jpg

SupaBoy (SNES) :D

supaboyt.jpg

So, how about a SupaGeo... :lolz:

supageo.jpg

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Ben Heck already saw to that with his MVS portable.

NeoGeo_REAR.jpg