NEO GEO X - Bitching and Ranting thread

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
I've been watching the NGX crap unfold, it seems most of you want it for the portability aspect which brings me to my point. Why wasn't a cheapo hacked PSP with the CPS2 and Neo emulators an option?

Apart from 'officialness', I consider control scheme pretty important. I don't want to play NeoGeo games on a PSP/GCW for the same reason I don't play N64 games on a keyboard.

from the NEOGEO X FAQ on at neogeox.com

Q.How do I charge my NEOGEO X without using the docking system (for example while I am travelling)?

A.We suggest you charge the NEOGEO X using a USB cable via a power supply, directly from a power outlet. The output of the Power Supply should be 1.5A only. Use of any other power supply output will void the warranty.

Q.Can I use my laptop (or other electronic device) to charge my NeoGeo X?

A.NO. Do not charge the NEOGEO X via USB cable using a Laptop or other electronic device. This will void the warranty.

???

What does this even mean i hooked it up to my laptop as that's all i have, have i now voided my glorious 90 day warranty unintentionally? couldn't tell if it was even charging just a usb logo came up on the screen and thats it, strange.

no to worry i got it charging from my laptop, so can categorically state charging without the docking station is A.O.K as long as you don't mind voiding your warranty :) (i wasn't aware that hooking up a neccessary cable to a device could void its warranty, hmmm)

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
I am honestly surprised they haven't been hit with a lawsuit yet on this. Probably one in the works.

Maybe they should hire Dion and Chris Ray's former lawyer.

Guy seems to help SNKP win.

The GCW in that video came from the factory from a QA guy that was fired for not doing his job correctly. Since then all devices are now shipped to me then inspected and flashed with the os and tested then sent out to the users. There is a batch of 150 coming soon and they will all have the new bezel and will also be QA'd by me. Everyone that ordered a 512 meg unit is getting a free 256 meg unit with a 16 internal sd card and a 32 external microsd as well. They will also get a 512 meg unit for their troubles and wait. As for the GCW firmware being ported yes it could be done but a lot of people might not want to support it because of all the things the neogeo x makers did that broke gpl and other licenses. Just look at the gamegadget it the same same company. OpenDingux was ported to it but there was no scene for the reason I just mentioned. The same thing happeded to the A380 but is seems to have gotten a scene lately.
I need to make something a little more clear. Only the first 40 users are getting a free console. The new consoles that are coming in will have the correct amount of ram.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I've been watching the NGX crap unfold, it seems most of you want it for the portability aspect which brings me to my point. Why wasn't a cheapo hacked PSP with the CPS2 and Neo emulators an option?

The analog thumbstick on the psp sucks.

TurboRotary13b

Crossed Swords Squire
Two things sold me on the NGX that none of the other portable devices can or do offer.
1. It's a licensed product and it shows support and enthusiasm for the SNKP brand. Extrapolate from that what you can.
2. It has a fucking awesome analog stick.

The lack of credits thing is a real pain in the ass, however, on Magician Lord I can continue as many times as I want. Is that the same for everyone? I only ask because I've seen people complaining about that game in particular.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but I can't create threads yet.

TurboRotary13b

Crossed Swords Squire
The lack of credits thing is a real pain in the ass, however, on Magician Lord I can continue as many times as I want. Is that the same for everyone? I only ask because I've seen people complaining about that game in particular.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but I can't create threads yet.

Its because you're from Texas... No one from Texas can create threads.. Sorry.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member

I will agree the PSP doesn't have the crown jewels there but its perfectly playable for a no brainer game on the move. How important an analog stick is to portable neo gaming is personal preferrence. Though I'd rather not have to pay out the ass for just that.

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
I will agree the PSP doesn't have the crown jewels there but its perfectly playable for a no brainer game on the move. How important an analog stick is to portable neo gaming is personal preferrence. Though I'd rather not have to pay out the ass for just that.

I don't know if I'd call a $130 X vs. a $120 PSP (bought new today) 'paying out the ass', especially in regards to a system where the original copies can cost upwards of hundreds of dollars a piece.

-D-

Zero's Secretary

It may stray more from an authentic feel; but the D-pads on PSP 2000/3000 models are actually really quite good and accurate, and work great for 2D games.

BloodShed

New Challenger
Personally, I like the NGX. But I also pre-ordered it expecting some form of Linux based emulation.

My primary reason for buying it (besides being a huge Neo Geo/SNK fan and collector) is to support the brand. I want Neo Geo! Obviously the NGX does not, by any stretch of the imagination, match the elite class of hardware that's representative of the time when AES was released. It's also no where near as expensive. That said, it's still a decent product and I felt it was easily worth my $200.

I have a hacked PSP. I have a Dingoo and Caanoo. I have a custom media PC hooked up to my TV. I have MAME cabinets. Of course, I also own a NGP, AES, and 3 MVS boards with a couple dozen carts. I can play Neo Geo on all of them. But what I really want is for SNK to return to their glory days, re-enter the hardware market, and release a ton of brand new games. So, I'm going to support it. It's mostly a pipe dream, I'm sure. But I'll have fun with my NGX while I hope.

That said.. I have also grown increasingly more frustrated with Tommo's secretiveness.

They've been saying more information will be coming soon on new game cards for a very, very long time. They should have provided more information months ago. Instead, here we are with a released product and they've revealed no information on their intent for the future.

Are we going to get more Neo Geo AES games? Why do we have widescreen with 4 shoulder buttons? Does that mean we're going to see NEW games? When? What is going on? Why is it a secret??

Even in the Reddit discussion Tommo keeps saying "keep your eyes peeled" and "more about this soon". I have a better idea. How about you tell us right now?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I don't know if I'd call a $130 X vs. a $120 PSP (bought new today) 'paying out the ass', especially in regards to a system where the original copies can cost upwards of hundreds of dollars a piece.

It is when one does a plethora of things and the other doesn't. You can always buy second hand to keep costs low ;). I'm sure the NGX's will eventually be modified to do more, time will tell. Maybe if you went the AES route you'd be paying hundreds, not so much with the MVS though.

Diggerman

Zero's Tailor
I got different results than you on my output. I will borrow another to double check but The one I was using was only running at 500 while in-game. The gcw runs at 1ghz not 2ghz. So if my output was incorrect than yes they will the same except for the amount of ram, support, quality of emulation, true dpad, true analog, and a complete and fully available toolchain for devs from day one. Actually the toolchain is available now.

Hmm, maybe do a NeoGeo edition of GCW Zero with "NeoGeo" and 'SNK" stamped on the front plate, and then people here will buy one. LOL!

Seriously though, I think the NeoGeoX is a nice concept, but the final execution is busted. The GCW Zero seems to be the same thing but done right (aside from the lack of Neo logos, hehe). Bring on the GCW Zero Kickstarter.

Apart from 'officialness', I consider control scheme pretty important. I don't want to play NeoGeo games on a PSP/GCW for the same reason I don't play N64 games on a keyboard.

Eh? That comparison makes no sense. The control layout is essentially exactly the same on all 3 devices. ---deleted due to incorrect info--- And more importantly, I've seen several NeogeoX owners report about thumbsticks going bad already. A dpad is a simpler type of controller and probably less likely to go bad.

If you're referring to the cheapy NeoGeo joystick included with the NGX Gold system, the GCW Zero has a USB port, so it's very likely you'll be able to use USB controllers (i.e. PS3 pads, arcade sticks etc.) with it as well someday.

Virtual controls are teh suxxorz!

Amen to that. I have some emulators on my Android phone just for fun. It's cool seeing classic games on it, but playing them using virtual controls is a total joke, except maybe for some slow moving RPG's and strategy games. Plus, all Android devices have sound lag with emulation. This is inherent to how Android OS works, and has been extensively documented. It's just not an ideal platform for such things.

Last edited:

Diggerman

Zero's Tailor
This statement is 100% incorrect. If you wanna join the hate train you should at least know what the fuck you're talking about.

OK, yeah I'm wrong. I never owned a Neo CD system. My bad. I have deleted that part of my post.

Fine, so dpads are teh evil for NeoGeo games? I seriously doubt it.

Last edited:

SSS

neo retired
Fine, so dpads are teh evil for NeoGeo games? I seriously doubt it.

Well, considering the majority of neo titles are fighters.... thumb/joysticks are the preferred control scheme. Any other stupid questions?

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I bought the stick itself, and it's really poorly made, a little pressure and you're bending the case... also the buttons don't always work.

Diggerman

Zero's Tailor
Well, considering the majority of neo titles are fighters.... thumb/joysticks are the preferred control scheme. Any other stupid questions?

Two actually...

1) Why is it so many people can play fighters just fine with dpads? Either way, the NGX thumbstick is apparently cheap crap that breaks easily.
2) Why are you such an uptight asshole?