NEO GEO X - Bitching and Ranting thread

jslime

n00b
I'm not. Not only could the GCW firmware possible be ported, but the GCW looks really trashy. And judging from video of an owner, is: The LE was supposed to contain 16GB storage (over normal 8) and 512MB RAM (over normal 256MB). His LE, of the first 40?, contained 4GB Storage (half the normal) and 256MB Ram. And the LE bezel blocks a portion of the bottom of the screen. All of the original 40 were plagued with issues, (if not all of them containing a misized bezel) and were nicknamed 'frankenzeroes'. It's like a quality control disaster.

With the X you're getting roughly the same specs in a better shell for about the same cost, it's just about the software.

I don't thnk you could get a GCW even if you tried. l've contacted the GCW creator regarding a purchase and never heard back from him.
I have a GP2X Wiz and really like it; thinking maybe l should have gotten a caanoo instead of the NGX.

Phatsaq

n00b
I don't know if I should have come to this thread or not. I literally bought the last one in Houston a couple hours ago. Now I don't know if I should open it or return it.

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
I don't know if I should have come to this thread or not. I literally bought the last one in Houston a couple hours ago. Now I don't know if I should open it or return it.

Depends if you wanted it for the handheld or the 'console'. It's a fantastic handheld and mame stick. The only real complaints are of the tv-out.

Phatsaq

n00b
I wanted the handheld. I thought the base would just be cool to have as a collector's item. Also thought it would look awesome by my AES. But, I don't want a piece of crap. I ultimately want more than a 21 game system

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Do not open it. Take it back to the store and wait awhile to see what unfolds...The price on these has already peeked and it will be dropping dramatically imo.
BB

I wanted the handheld. I thought the base would just be cool to have as a collector's item. Also thought it would look awesome by my AES. But, I don't want a piece of crap. I ultimately want more than a 21 game system

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
Do not open it. Take it back to the store and wait awhile to see what unfolds...The price on these has already peeked and it will be dropping dramatically imo.
BB

Maybe if he wants a used one, but considering the handheld by itself hasn't even launched yet and how it's barely any more expensive than comparable devices (with the preloaded games cutting into the cost), waiting for a price drop seems pretty unlikely imo! At least for a long while (months after the already months of waiting for the handheld).

If you want it for the handheld it'd all come down to whether or not you want the stick for $50. Regardless of what they officially release you'll be able to ultimately add additional games, easily if it's a 337, you won't be stuck with only the 21. Unless you wait and they release a further revision that further locks it up!

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
I don't know what version I have.

The only difference is that 337 has a few more options (such as USB reflashing), it and 370 can use a modified MicroSD Adapter to get past the SD security. My point was just that there's no risk of being stuck with only the 21 included titles to play on it even if they dropped support immediately.

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
Will any of that require me to take the system apart

The 337 can be disassembled to access the memory directly, but the flashing (for 337) only requires a USB connection. The modified microSD Adapter only requires solder work on the adapter but it seemed like someone might be making a batch to sell? The best option for now.

Phatsaq

n00b
Hmm. I really don't want to take it apart. Helluva gamble to open it to see which version I have

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
Hmm. I really don't want to take it apart. Helluva gamble to open it to see which version I have

Firmware is found by pressing the Menu button in the main menu, disassembly isn't required for anything other than the option of backing up the internal SD.

xarcade

Quiz Detective
Ok, so my NGX arrived yesterday. Now it's my turn to bitch. For a $200 device, the screen sucks and looks cheap. When you press the volume and brightness buttons it basically pauses the game and play resumes after you're done making the adjustments. The system feels lightweight, which gives it a low-quality feel. The blue led light is too bright, so when you play the NGX in the dark it's like "wtf is up with that blue light blinding me"! If they would have used a better set of games it would have helped a little bit, but the 20 they used tells you that these guys don't really know Neo Geo. This is the noisiest hand-held ever! All the buttons on this thing click, except the ABCD buttons.

Knowing that the NGX uses the same OS as other emulator devices also brings it down. But it also kinda saves it from being a total let-down since it can be hacked. So the only thing this really has going for it is that it CAN be hacked and possibly used for other emulators.

medic_wheat

Kabuki Klasher
I bought this as what I had hoped to be an alternative to my CMVS that I bought through Analog Interactive. Two years ago was my start in all that is Neo Geo after fond memories of gaming at "wait for it" arcades.

Since then I stumbled...a lot...in learning all the tricks of MVS carts and so forth.

Then the Neo Geo X got announced, and if it was not for SNK partnering with them I would have dismissed it.

I thought..gee ... this might be a way to buy a good sized Neo Geo library and possibly even newer SNK Playmore games to be delveoped for/ported to this system ..win win...

so far I feel it was lose lose...

Yes it's the FIRST .and if the PSP is a good example ....they might go through revisions ..fine tuning...

but I feel burnt and won't be buying any more of their products as far as the Neo Geo X is concerned.

I think there might still be some good things to come from this though.

Big business know KNOWS there is a market for retro games..and not just as DLC or compilation games for "newer" systems.

The GCW in that video came from the factory from a QA guy that was fired for not doing his job correctly. Since then all devices are now shipped to me then inspected and flashed with the os and tested then sent out to the users. There is a batch of 150 coming soon and they will all have the new bezel and will also be QA'd by me. Everyone that ordered a 512 meg unit is getting a free 256 meg unit with a 16 internal sd card and a 32 external microsd as well. They will also get a 512 meg unit for their troubles and wait. As for the GCW firmware being ported yes it could be done but a lot of people might not want to support it because of all the things the neogeo x makers did that broke gpl and other licenses. Just look at the gamegadget it the same same company. OpenDingux was ported to it but there was no scene for the reason I just mentioned. The same thing happeded to the A380 but is seems to have gotten a scene lately.

I don't thnk you could get a GCW even if you tried. l've contacted the GCW creator regarding a purchase and never heard back from him.
I have a GP2X Wiz and really like it; thinking maybe l should have gotten a caanoo instead of the NGX.
Thats not true at all. We have to get the first 150 out first. Those are on their way now. This is a two man team shipping these out so it will take a while. Then we can take more orders. There will be a kickstarter in later February for higher production runs. Also a website and app store is being built now for orders as well. I do PR, Testing, and am PM for the device message me if you have questions. Please note that I can only relay order and availablity questions to the owner(Justin) I cannot make him respond. I have nothing to do with the money side of things.

I'm not. Not only could the GCW firmware possible be ported, but the GCW looks really trashy. And judging from a video of an owner, is: The LE was supposed to contain 16GB storage (over normal 8) and 512MB RAM (over normal 256MB). His LE, of the first 40?, contained 4GB Storage (half the normal) and 256MB Ram. And the LE bezel blocks a portion of the bottom of the screen. All of the original 40 were plagued with issues, (if not all of them containing a misized bezel) and were nicknamed 'frankenzeroes'. It's like a quality control disaster.

With the X you're getting roughly the same specs in a better shell for about the same cost, it's just about the software.

The GCW in that video came from the factory from a QA guy that was fired for not doing his job correctly. Since then all devices are now shipped to me then inspected and flashed with the os and tested then sent out to the users. There is a batch of 150 coming soon and they will all have the new bezel and will also be QA'd by me. Everyone that ordered a 512 meg unit is getting a free 256 meg unit with a 16 internal sd card and a 32 external microsd as well. They will also get a 512 meg unit for their troubles and wait. As for the GCW firmware being ported yes it could be done but a lot of people might not want to support it because of all the things the neogeo x makers did that broke gpl and other licenses. Just look at the gamegadget it the same same company. OpenDingux was ported to it but there was no scene for the reason I just mentioned. The same thing happeded to the A380 but is seems to have gotten a scene lately.

As for the specs the neogeo x is the same chipset but is clocked at half the speed and has half the memeory available to it. Also the gcw may not look like much to you but trust me it feels much better and plays much better than the neogeo x and it is not a crappy 16:9 screen resolution

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member

As for the specs the neogeo x is the same chipset but is clocked at half the speed and has half the memeory available to it. Also the gcw may not look like much to you but trust me it feels much better and plays much better than the neogeo x and it is not a crappy 16:9 screen resolution

I suppose those 150 units are all accounted for and we have to wait for the kickstarter?

So a stock gcw will be a 2Ghz jz4770 and 512m ram? the ngx is 1Ghz and 256m according the dmesg output of the stock ngx kernel.

-ack

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Glad to see the GCW peeps here representing.

Looking to get one in the near future.

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
I suppose those 150 units are all accounted for and we have to wait for the kickstarter?

So a stock gcw will be a 2Ghz jz4770 and 512m ram? the ngx is 1Ghz and 256m according the dmesg output of the stock ngx kernel.

-ack

He'd know better than me, but according to the video mentioned the stock version of the GCW was 1GHz and 256MB Ram, with the SEs getting 512MB Ram. Assuming that hasn't changed. This would put them right in line with eachother.

-ack
I got different results than you on my output. I will borrow another to double check but The one I was using was only running at 500 while in-game. The gcw runs at 1ghz not 2ghz. So if my output was incorrect than yes they will the same except for the amount of ram, support, quality of emulation, true dpad, true analog, and a complete and fully available toolchain for devs from day one. Actually the toolchain is available now.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
...they will the same except for the amount of ram, support, quality of emulation, true dpad, true analog, and a complete and fully available toolchain for devs from day one. Actually the toolchain is available now.

Lol! Point made.

This GCW handheld has me interested. I can't wait to see some more reviews on it.

from the NEOGEO X FAQ on at neogeox.com

Q.How do I charge my NEOGEO X without using the docking system (for example while I am travelling)?

A.We suggest you charge the NEOGEO X using a USB cable via a power supply, directly from a power outlet. The output of the Power Supply should be 1.5A only. Use of any other power supply output will void the warranty.

Q.Can I use my laptop (or other electronic device) to charge my NeoGeo X?

A.NO. Do not charge the NEOGEO X via USB cable using a Laptop or other electronic device. This will void the warranty.

???

What does this even mean i hooked it up to my laptop as that's all i have, have i now voided my glorious 90 day warranty unintentionally? couldn't tell if it was even charging just a usb logo came up on the screen and thats it, strange.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I've been watching the NGX crap unfold, it seems most of you want it for the portability aspect which brings me to my point. Why wasn't a cheapo hacked PSP with the CPS2 and Neo emulators an option?