NeoGeoX Hacking and Mods

FA-MAS

Kula's Candy
There seems to be some binaries that are compiled specifically for this proc that are required to mount the app sd up, but once we figure out how to crack a shell on here, it should be no problem.

Doesn't look so much like there are binaries required to mount those partitions rather than there are files on those partitions that could be useful in finding out how it works.

I'm not quite sure where it's copying appfs.ext3 from, but the script is assuming it's in /mnt/mmc which is on the internal SD.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
h350_app_ext3="/mnt/mmc/appfs.ext3"
h350_app_md5_file="/mnt/mmc/appfs.md5"
h350_md5_file_compare="/tmp/appfs_compare.md5"
if [ -f $h350_app_ext3 ]
  then
    if [ -f $h350_app_md5_file ]
    then
    md5sum $h350_app_ext3 > $h350_md5_file_compare
      if [ -z "`diff $h350_app_md5_file $h350_md5_file_compare`" ]
      then
		cp /mnt/mmc/appfs.ext3 /tmp/
		mount -o loop,ro /tmp/appfs.ext3 /usr/mtdblock3
		/usr/local/yohu_desktop/setbvol.bin&
		echo "md5 ok"
      else
		mount -t ext3 -o ro /dev/mmcblk0p2 /usr/mtdblock3
		echo "md5 error"
      fi
   else
	echo "app_ext3 dm5 file is not existed!"
   fi
   rm $h350_md5_file_compare
else
echo "app_ext3 is not existed!"
fi

Looks like on that partition there's a "compressed" file system (appfs.ext3) and an md5 checksum file that it compares with the checksum of the appfs.ext3, and if they match it mounts it. I'd be curious what were in it if it was mounted.

Also, could it be as easy as moving the game folder to the publicly accessible storage, and adding a line to an init script that would create a symlink in it's place that points to it's new location on the public storage. Then you could replace any game you wanted long as you kept the name the same as one of the originals?

Last edited:

mr_e

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I don't really think Tommo is too happy with this news. I think they were planning on making the "real money" with the game releases and not relying on the hardware, but that being said,
they really should have done things more proper.

I'm going to disagree here. This thing is just too hack friendly. Clean, wide traces. Everything on the board clearly labeled. Open slots, labeled for what they are supposed to be, with room to work.

Serial pads right on the board. Shell deliberately enabled on that serial port...
Code:
# Put a getty on the serial port
ttyS2::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS2 57600 vt100

Linux/Dingux as the OS
Wifi capable chipset from the factory. pinouts for wifi on the board.
USB
removable SD for the OS
burningtoys mentioned the inclusion of other emus from the factory.

Too many open invitations for it not to be deliberate.

And after looking at that inittab longer, its not using any special binaries. Those lines are commented out. But for the life of me I cant get the game sd to mount as a vfat. Always pukes. Dunno if I'm missing something due to not having the other partitions, or maybe got a bad dump of the SD, or what.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
I don't really think Tommo is too happy with this news. I think they were planning on making the "real money" with the game releases and not relying on the hardware, but that being said,
they really should have done things more proper.

wait till the FBA development team learns about Tommo using their emulator in a commercial product

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Tommo shouldn't worry too much. I can't speak for everyone, but I'll buy every Neo game they release, whether my NGX is hacked or not.

I was wondering about what the FBA community was going to say myself.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Tommo shouldn't worry too much. I can't speak for everyone, but I'll buy every Neo game they release, whether my NGX is hacked or not.

+1 to that. I'm really hoping for the Last Blades to be among the first releases.

Mr. Zurkon

Zero's Secretary

Same here, but I really hope they make cases for the games from now on. That blister card they used for Ninja Masters is a terrible way to sell future games. Little shockboxes would be glorious, but I'll be happy if they have something similar to DS or Vita game cases.

IMG_1112_zps2d2df4fa.jpg

ok i was right about that fba util.. when you run it it looks for bios files to inject into the .fba from neogeo.zip. what ever the bios file it is looking for you can be swapped out (renamed) to what ever bios you want.

so i used andros again and it was looking for asia-s3.rom. i just renamed a unibios file to that file name and bingo.. unibios on the neo geo x.

edit: I just went back and read the thread and saw that some posted these exact insrtuctions.. ahah. well they work.

I just want to say that i don't really consider this hacking because there is 0 security on the internal sd card. I'm just kinda messing around here with half an hour or so of free time here and there.

edit: if you do just run the fba util it defaults to mvs mode BUT you can coin up with the r1 button. lol

edit 2: r1 is mapped to select so r1 and start bring up your unibio menu

Last edited:
Man you guys did great :) I'll fiddle with mine as soon as a "SD card soft mod" is available.

I still have every intent of purchasing future card releases :)

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Don't wanna open my system, but I really want Unibios... agh!

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Awesome! So according to your post edits, you can coin up and enter unibios menu while the portable is docked using the select and start buttons on the joystick too right?

Since the system bios files are embedded in the game fba files, once people figure out how to load custom roms via the externally accessible SD card slot.. you don't necessarily have to open up your NGX to have unibios for your games.

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Friendly bump from the cave in my parents basement to keep up with this. I am so relieved you can change the bios. This was the ONLY reason I was holding off on getting a NeoX.

It looks like someone could very easily make their own version of dingux and boot emulators very differently from snks version. I don't think I would personally do that. I'm just thinking out load here from what I've seen so far.

Awesome! So according to your post edits, you can coin up and enter unibios menu while the portable is docked using the select and start buttons on the joystick too right?

Since the system bios files are embedded in the game fba files, once people figure out how to load custom roms via the externally accessible SD card slot.. you don't necessarily have to open up your NGX to have unibios for your games.

In theory, yes. my x is in pieces and i haven't done any testing at all on the dock yet.

Yes. every .fba has its own copy of the bios injected into it so you wouldn't have to take apart your ngx

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Yea dumping the images from a product released in 2012 is so 2003.......

Well, this site does not allow linking to rom images directly, especially not on an OFFICIALLY LICENSED SNK PRODUCT DAYS AFTER RELEASE.

You and your shit attitude can come back and complain about it in 5 days.

This is the last warning. There is NO ROM LINKING ALLOWED. IS THIS FUCKING CLEAR?!?!?!

(I'm fine with the hacking, in fact, I will be participating actively in a few days when I pick up my unit and get it apart.)

SSS

neo retired
Well, this site does not allow linking to rom images directly, especially not on an OFFICIALLY LICENSED SNK PRODUCT DAYS AFTER RELEASE.

You and your shit attitude can come back and complain about it in 5 days.

This is the last warning. There is NO ROM LINKING ALLOWED. IS THIS FUCKING CLEAR?!?!?!

(I'm fine with the hacking, in fact, I will be participating actively in a few days when I pick up my unit and get it apart.)

Funny thing is this "officially licensed" product sure seems to be distributing an emulator without permission from it's creators.

Tacitus

Staff member
Funny thing is this "officially licensed" product sure seems to be distributing an emulator without permission from it's creators.

I understand that, but this isn't a new rule or something that should come as a shock to anyone.

The FBA guys can have it out with Tommo. This is an SNK NEO GEO based forum and they are aware of the site. We aren't going to allow people to pirate their games openly on the forums. There is no bending on this point, whatsoever. It's a simple rule, don't do it here.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
So what would be needed to figure out how to communicate with the system via USB without opening it up?

SSS

neo retired
I understand that, but this isn't a new rule or something that should come as a shock to anyone.

The FBA guys can have it out with Tommo. This is an SNK NEO GEO based forum and they are aware of the site. We aren't going to allow people to pirate their games openly on the forums. There is no bending on this point, whatsoever. It's a simple rule, don't do it here.

That's fine. There shouldn't be a need to post the roms anyway. They're already accessible on the card as it is.

Frank_fjs

n00b

Bingo! They stole the emulation software, violated its license agreement and are illegally charging money for ROMS. All bets are off in my opinion.

SSS

neo retired
Bingo! They stole the emulation software, violated its license agreement and are illegally charging money for ROMS. All bets are off in my opinion.

Well, I agree with the emulator bit. But they have a license from SNKP for the games. FBA has no claim to any games

Tacitus

Staff member

Awesome. You and your juris doctorate can take it somewhere else.

Btw, it's officially licensed, they are legally charging for the ROMs.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
there go any real progress on getting this system to be fully useful.