NeoGeoX Hacking and Mods

FA-MAS

Kula's Candy
YEA! Direct links to the images on the sd cards is sooooooo legal !!!! brb getting more romz

I understand, the point he's making is that you shouldn't download those images unless you bought the system and thus have right to have a backup of your games. Could have just said that instead of assuming all of us were pirates. Now back to the mod talk.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Dude, neo rom hate is so 2003

Lads...

Posting of roms on the forums is still a tricky situ...

..I'd prefer you didn't do it lads.... seriously... i like it in chat... don't make me come out and get all weirdass on you fooks....

There is a pm system.... just say "Pm me lads... i have something cool...etc etc... "...

xROTx

PS. SSS pal... i love you like a weird black sheep brother... but rom hate? I don't hate them... i'd rather not Kabob and the rest of teh lawyers explain why the site is promoting romz.... and seeing as the X is fairly new... i'd assume they'd be pretty keen to rape us...

douglie007

n00b
you guys make me want Christmas to come sooner :) I have my Neogeo gold X under the tree but the wife said I have to wait... so has any one tried playing the extracted roms on the FBA on the PC or MAC to see if there is any major difference between the software builds ?

SSS

neo retired
The posting of the game roms is just a byproduct. We can get teh romz anywhere. The purpose of this thread isn't to distribute neo games, rather figure out this handhelds file structure etc.. To unlock it's full potential. I don't see how this is any different than the sale of debug/ unibios. S video mods etc.. Which were done to correct the short comings of the original neo.

This thing has numerous issues, graphical resolution, sound and game settings that all have the potential of being corrected with some tinkering. If some have issues with this, may I suggest you go wait out in the cold with Neo Alec

Edit: I can agree with removing links to the card dumps though

Last edited:

mr_e

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I get your point with the ninja masters image rot, but the base disk should be OK to spread. Its just dingux.

douglie007

n00b
The posting of the game roms is just a byproduct. We can get teh romz anywhere. The purpose of this thread isn't to distribute neo games, rather figure out this handhelds file structure etc.. To unlock it's full potential. I don't see how this is any different than the sale of debug/ unibios. S video mods etc.. Which were done to correct the short comings of the original neo.

This thing has numerous issues, graphical resolution, sound and game settings that all have the potential of being corrected with some tinkering. If some have issues with this, may I suggest you go wait out in the cold with Neo Alec

Edit: I can agree with removing links to the card dumps though

I didnt want anyone to give out the games I wanted to know if they modded the codes in the FBA software running it. if the .fba files play on the PC setting then there shouldnt be much difference in game structure.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I get your point with the ninja masters image rot, but the base disk should be OK to spread. Its just dingux.

...Err... I aint a tech guy tbh,...

I saw links of romz and deleted it all... better safe than sorry is my opinion...

...if it's safe.... repost...

However, if one of the other techie lads decides it's naughty.... they may wish to spank you... on both cheeks...

xROTx

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
I just want to be able to play the games uncensored and with unlimted continues, once thats sorted I will be happy, otherwise it would be pointless playing some of the shoot em ups where 4 continues is not enough.

Nerdy

Kabuki Klasher
If i can easily have backed up all my MVS games on this, it would be killer !

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Hi

So the neogeo bios is built into the .fba file itself and starts right after the header at offset 256 bytes (0x100). You can extract the bios with the following command.

$ dd if=file.fba of=bios.bin skip=256 count=131072 bs=1
131072+0 records in
131072+0 records out
131072 bytes (131 kB) copied, 0.139712 s, 938 kB/s

The extracted bios has the same crc as neo-epo.bin.

This next part is untest as I am out of town, but you can inject a different bios in the .fba file with the following command.

$ dd if=somebios.rom of=file.fba bs=1 seek=256 conv=notrunc

This will replace the bios in the .fba file, but I have no idea if this will work. I have never used fba before so I dont know if it does crc checks on the roms and will get pissed cause the bios section is now wrong.

-ack

Last edited:

Mattroid

Edo Express Delivery Guy
15 Year Member
This is amazing. All you guys rock. VERY Interested in seeing where this might go.

SSS

neo retired
This will replace the bios in the .fba file, but I have no idea if this will work. I have never used fba before so I dont know if it does crc checks on the roms and will get pissed cause the bios section is now wrong.

-ack

Well, it loaded andro dunos in place of metal slug without a complaint. Good chance it will work.

Just a quick look at that 250 meg partition I missed before....

uumm.. there are emulators for fc, gba, gbc, md, sfc and sms right on it.

snagged some read mes from it

DINGUX GNUBOY
-------------
dingux gnuboy is a port of gnuboy for dingoo dingux with some extra options.
It has been ported by joyrider aka willems davy. The dingux version is a backport
of the native os version.

how to install ?
----------------
copy sdlgnuboy anywhere you like on your sd card. The home directory should be exported
before running dingux gnuboy (although i also set it in the code to /boot/local/home)

how to play ?
-------------
Once you copied your games and the binarie file just start sdlgnuboy from a terminal with as parameter
the rom you want to play. You could also add it to dmenu to use it with the selector option.

The default keys are the same as on the gameboy being:
A : A
B : B
Select : Select
Start : Start
L : QuickSave to selected saveslot
R : QuickLoad from selected saveslot

Y and X does nothing !

The menu?
---------
Holding select+start will bring you to the menu where you can change diffrent options.
like showing the showing fps counter, the screen mode, sound volume, frameskip or save load a state as well as
quiting the emulator.

option notes:

...... etc

there are more.. hate to be a tease but i'm off to do holiday stuff.. i might have time tonight/tommorow morning..

edit and a playstation emulator with a playstation bios file included.. uh ohhh....

Last edited:

Liq_Wurm

Krauser's Henchman
dang i didn't get to see the video before it wad removed anybody save it?

Also PROPS to all of the neo-geo.com contributors and people posting in these threads, your famous and you did it first!

Hi

So the neogeo bios is built into the .fba file itself and starts right after the header at offset 256 bytes (0x100). You can extract the bios with the following command.

$ dd if=file.fba of=bios.bin skip=256 count=131072 bs=1
131072+0 records in
131072+0 records out
131072 bytes (131 kB) copied, 0.139712 s, 938 kB/s

The extracted bios has the same crc as neo-epo.bin.

This next part is untest as I am out of town, but you can inject a different bios in the .fba file with the following command.

$ dd if=somebios.rom of=file.fba bs=1 seek=256 conv=notrunc

-ack
Even easier than that, you should be able to just change out the BIOS ROM before executing the FBACache program:

http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?/topic/43932-fba2x-finalburn-alpha-beta-7-3/page-2#entry644578
For those interested in playing NeoGeo games in console (AES) mode and/or with the UNIVERSE BIOS:
1. Select either of the two BIOS files: aes-bios.bin or uni-bios.rom
2. Rename it to "asia-s3.rom"
3. Replace the real asia-s3.rom in neogeo.zip with it
4. Run FBA2X or FBACache with the modified neogeo.zip

To make large games work in console mode, the modified neogeo.zip is needed during the generation of the cache files

When using the AES BIOS, FBA2X will run in console mode, but you'll lose access to the service mode.

When using the UNI-BIOS, FBA2X will always start in arcade mode. You need to press A+B+C during the BIOS boot screen, then change the region setup to run in console mode; you need to do this every time a game is loaded, as the settings are not saved. However, with the UNI-BIOS, you'll have access to either arcade or console modes, service mode, cheats, pause menu, and other uni-bios features.
Tip: Use A+B+C+Start instead of Start+Select to pause and access the in-game menu. This is because Start+Select is mapped in FBA2X to the Player 2 Start button.

FBA2X can't save any of the progress, high score, and settings data.

Last edited:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Just a quick look at that 250 meg partition I missed before....

uumm.. there are emulators for fc, gba, gbc, md, sfc and sms right on it.

snagged some read mes from it

there are more.. hate to be a tease but i'm off to do holiday stuff.. i might have time tonight/tommorow morning..

edit and a playstation emulator with a playstation bios file included.. uh ohhh....
Holy crap!
PS One on the NGX would be awesome.

mr_e

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Hey burningtoys, any chance you can upload me the rest of the partitions?

I've been poking at the root filesystem, and I think I found the logic to mount the game cards. This snippit here from the /etc/inittab looks like its it...

Code:
#Mount appfs
#::sysinit:/etc/check_efuse.bin
::sysinit:/bin/mount /dev/mmcblk0p2 /usr/mtdblock3  -t ext3  -o ro
#::sysinit:/etc/mount_app_init
::sysinit:/bin/mount /dev/mmcblk0p3 /usr/mtdblock4  -o rw
::sysinit:/bin/mount /dev/mmcblk0p4 /mnt/memory -t vfat -o rw,utf8
#::sysinit:/bin/mount /mnt/mmc/appfs.ext3 /usr/mtdblock3  -o loop,ro
#::sysinit:/bin/mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/mmc/ -t vfat -o rw,utf8
#::sysinit:/bin/mount /dev/mmcblk0 /mnt/mmc/ -t vfat -o rw,utf8
::sysinit:/bin/mknod  /dev/tcsm c 238 73

/etc/mount_app_init

Code:
#!/bin/sh
h350_app_ext3="/mnt/mmc/appfs.ext3"
h350_app_md5_file="/mnt/mmc/appfs.md5"
h350_md5_file_compare="/tmp/appfs_compare.md5"
if [ -f $h350_app_ext3 ]
  then
    if [ -f $h350_app_md5_file ]
    then
    md5sum $h350_app_ext3 > $h350_md5_file_compare
      if [ -z "`diff $h350_app_md5_file $h350_md5_file_compare`" ]
      then
   cp /mnt/mmc/appfs.ext3 /tmp/
   mount -o loop,ro /tmp/appfs.ext3 /usr/mtdblock3
   /usr/local/yohu_desktop/setbvol.bin&
   echo "md5 ok"
      else
   mount -t ext3 -o ro /dev/mmcblk0p2 /usr/mtdblock3
   echo "md5 error"
      fi
   else
 echo "app_ext3 dm5 file is not existed!"
   fi
   rm $h350_md5_file_compare
else
echo "app_ext3 is not existed!"
fi

There seems to be some binaries that are compiled specifically for this proc that are required to mount the app sd up, but once we figure out how to crack a shell on here, it should be no problem.

I still think linking the games directory to a folder on the public partition of the internal SD will get us more room for more roms.

Spoonman

Enemy Chaser
I don't really think Tommo is too happy with this news. I think they were planning on making the "real money" with the game releases and not relying on the hardware, but that being said,
they really should have done things more proper.

"Nothing speeds up hacking than devices that are lacking"
Had they included a way to turn on blood, switch from MVS/AES, or utilize the full potential of the CPU to eliminate video tearing I wouldn't even bother with any of this.
That's all many of us want from it.

Also, you can't copy protect a game console in 2012 with glue, Linux, and wishes...