NeoGeoX Hacking and Mods

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Just because it's better than the Neo Geo Mini doesn't mean it's good.

Shitty emulation, wrong aspect ratio screen (they could have just bezeled it off and ran the whole thing in the Neo's native rez), shitty video output, expensive as fuck, expensive games, couldn't buy the handheld separately, firmware update fiasco.

Neither beats putting a Neo emulator on your PSP or your phone and getting a bluetooth gamepad. Or just emulating on your PC if you're at home.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
What a missed opportunity. Had the emulation been as good as the PSP and the video output as good as the snes or NES mini the Neo-Geo X would have been awesome.

I love the actual design of the small looking aes console docking station and handheld. Also came with replica old style sticks. It's pretty much what most wanted from the Neo Mini. Too bad they fucked it up.

Tarexmd

n00b
Is there any hope the NeoGeo Mini will be hacked? I want attract modes to start automatically and cycle between the roms, like the actual cabinet. I don't want to manually have to choose every rom.

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
Is there any hope the NeoGeo Mini will be hacked? I want attract modes to start automatically and cycle between the roms, like the actual cabinet. I don't want to manually have to choose every rom.

You should probably ask that in the mini thread and not in the x thread man.

Ssturtle

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Does the NGX have a know sound issue through HDMi when connected to the dock? Sound works fine through the AV cable.
Thanks in advance. Hardware is all stock and firmware update was never done.

genjuro1

Ninja Combat Warrior
When playing via HDMI, left and right channels are reversed. When you use the composite option it's correct. I suggest using an HDMI to Composite Converter. I bought 2 of them on clearance at Walmart for $11.16. If you're playing on a CRT, this greatly improves the picture quality when playing via composite on a CRT, as well as correcting the reversed left/right audio issue when playing via HDMI straight. When playing via the stock composite, the picture quality is terrible.

Last edited:

Zenjay

n00b
When playing via HDMI, left and right channels are reversed. When you use the composite option it's correct. I suggest using an HDMI to Composite Converter. I bought 2 of them on clearance at Walmart for $11.96. If you're playing on a CRT, this greatly improves the picture quality when playing via composite on a CRT, as well as correcting the reversed left/right audio issue when playing via HDMI straight. When playing via the stock composite, the picture quality is terrible.

Do you notice any perceivable input lag when using a digital to analog converter like that? I wanted to hook my NGX to my CRT with the included RCAs, but the quality is so awful like you say.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
The cards are available on eBay. Still rocking my NGX with two modded sticks with bat tops. Still works great. It is miles better than the fucking mini that's out now.

Please post pics so we can laugh.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Do you notice any perceivable input lag when using a digital to analog converter like that? I wanted to hook my NGX to my CRT with the included RCAs, but the quality is so awful like you say.

I got it hooked it up to an old budget type CRT from back in the day. HDMI to SCART (composite). Can't say I experienced any noticeable lag. Seemed ok to me.

mfz1nvk.jpg

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Back when the thing was new I used a similar adapter. There was no noticeable input lag although the X still had the slight audio lag (not the converter's fault.) The only real issue was that the video was 480i so it still didn't look as good as a real system on a CRT but it was a noticeable improvement.

A hacked Wii is still much better.

Zenjay

n00b
I got it hooked it up to an old budget type CRT from back in the day. HDMI to SCART (composite). Can't say I experienced any noticeable lag. Seemed ok to me.

mfz1nvk.jpg

Back when the thing was new I used a similar adapter. There was no noticeable input lag although the X still had the slight audio lag (not the converter's fault.) The only real issue was that the video was 480i so it still didn't look as good as a real system on a CRT but it was a noticeable improvement.

A hacked Wii is still much better.
Yeah, Im debating whether or not it's worth the effort and console real estate to hook the thing up to my CRT with an adapter. Though for shits and giggles I wanted to see what it would look like running through a cheap HDMI scanline generator and to my surprise it did help clean up the muddy 480p picture, but in all honesty doing that is probably similar to polishing a turd.

Last edited:

XtraSmiley

New Challenger
Nobody ever successfully hacked the emulator on this thing to fix all the problems? (audio, 480i video, etc?)

genjuro1

Ninja Combat Warrior

I've played for hours docked with the control stick, and undocked with the handheld, and I didn't feel that there were any lag issues. I'm no expert, but like most of us here, I've played so many different iterations of these games, that if the controls felt seriously off, I would notice. Also, if you want even better picture quality, get a Hdmi converter that has S-Video as an option (obviously make sure your tv has S-Video capability). I usually go the S-Video route, when I'm playing in docked mode.

Last edited: