NeoGeoX Hacking and Mods

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm pretty sure it's a standard 3 contact AV cable. Word of warning though, the colors are way overblown on SD and it looks terrible. If you turn the color saturation way down on the TV it will look okay. Alternatively, a HDMI to Svideo converter works pretty well if you've got one of those laying around.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I'm pretty sure it's a standard 3 contact AV cable. Word of warning though, the colors are way overblown on SD and it looks terrible. If you turn the color saturation way down on the TV it will look okay. Alternatively, a HDMI to Svideo converter works pretty well if you've got one of those laying around.

Thanks again!
How much are those? I see some on Ebay now for $16-40.
Not sure if its worth it. Maybe I could run my pc I made with it as well.
Looks ok in pal but still has some lag and screen tearing.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
They're about $35 on Monoprice. Really though, I'd say buy a cheap Ouya and use the X sticks on Neo.emu, it's a hell of a lot better than the X.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
They're about $35 on Monoprice. Really though, I'd say buy a cheap Ouya and use the X sticks on Neo.emu, it's a hell of a lot better than the X.

Looks like Ouya is sold out. Amazon wants $200 or something for new ones and used ones are going for over retail on Ebay. Anyways it only outputs hdmi right? That's ok I have a micro android system I got a couple years ago and haven't used much (sure its slower than a ouya bust fast enough to run the roms) and a PSTV ..my cellphone & tons of other things.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
That would probably work the same. Neo emulation doesn't require a super powerful system, and Neo.emu has worked fine on all my Android devices and is on Google Play. Some of the shaders might not work without some cpu muscle though.

kyosuke75

Mr. Big's Thug

I totally agree with you on that... I have the Ouya and the X and the X collects dust. The stick works awesome on the Ouya. I have yet to try my dual shock 3 or other usb controllers. Any luck with those?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Bluetooth controllers like the Dual Shock 3 are a mixed bag with the Ouya. On many emulators bluetooth controllers (including the stock Ouya controller) can cause the emulator to run a little worse and/or have input lag. The Neo emulator specifically doesn't have a big problem with them, but the SNES and Genesis emulators definately do. USB controllers are another story, they work great with no lag. I've used a Neo Geo X stick, a Saturn USB pad, and a Logitech F510 pad all with excellent results. If I'm just casually playing I'll use the F510, it's wireless with a USB dongle and almost perfectly replaces the Ouya controller in all but a few games. The dpad is pretty good too, which frankly surprised me.

Vagran7

n00b
Has anyone tried converting the Neo X arcade stick to work on a regular Neo Geo? I've got the smaller, rounder AES arcade stick, and was thinking it would be pretty rad to swap it's guts into a Neo Geo X stick but I'm not sure how feasible that really is. Thanks!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You don't even have to go through that much trouble. You just need to wire a 15 pin connector onto the stick to the Neo Geo pinout, then plug a cable into the system.

Caplet

Cheng's Errand Boy
Alternatively, a HDMI to Svideo converter works pretty well if you've got one of those laying around.

To expand upon this:

I grabbed one of these converters for $16 shipped and got to try it out today. It works rather well. I wasn't using my NGX at home much at all because the HDMI was laggy on my LEDTV and the composite made me want to kill myself.

The converter on a CRT is a nice middle ground. The picture isn't as nice as a proper SD system obviously, but it seems to eliminate the majority of the input lag and introduces happy little scanlines. I played some Metal Slug on the X and the AES for comparison's sake. They both played pretty much the same, and I took a couple pics to show the difference.

Neo Geo X using HDMI through the s-video converter:
S8ftvgd.jpg

AES using SCART through a component converter on the same TV:
QGuAK3m.jpg

The pics aren't the best but you can see some of the differences in color and clarity. The converter was worth the small expenditure for me; I'll definitely use the NGX more now. Thanks for the suggestion GohanX.

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
I bought the Neo Geo X Gold at launch. Been wanting to get another controller and load all the ROMS onto it somehow.

I was seriously hoping they'd make some new 2D games for it. Delusional. I know...

Hi,
I made a custom microSD adapter but I obtain "CAUTION, Upgrade Problem, Incorrect File!"
What can I do? I tried with 2x2GB and 1x1GB card

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Hi,
I made a custom microSD adapter but I obtain "CAUTION, Upgrade Problem, Incorrect File!"
What can I do? I tried with 2x2GB and 1x1GB card

Have you tried Tommo's customer support hotline?

Suicide is a bit extreme at this stage...I don't see the need yet. I may be wrong though.

Last edited:

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Wonder if the Neo X's shell would be a good candidate for a CMVS to go inside? :lolz:

WOW

I see users with 2k posts that only say shit instead of help someone.
I don't really know why the fuck you are still there instead of going to fuck off.
Now,uncaring member of Staff,delete my account,I don't want to stay in this forum with users in their menstrual period.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
WOW

I don't really know why the fuck you are still there instead of going to fuck off.
Now,uncaring member of Staff,delete my account,I don't want to stay in this forum with users in their menstrual period.

You lasted longer than most. Good luck with your thing.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
1. You're only coming here to get tech info - without introducing yourself or anything, looks like leeching. You'll be gone as soon as you get your answer anyway, why would anyone care?
2. The info you seek is about modifying relatively recent hardware in an illegal way - sharing that info publicly would be setting these boards at risk. For what? Nobody even knows you.
3. What you are searching for can be found elsewhere on the net, if you can't find it, that's not our problem. It only makes you look dumb.
4. You don't own this place, stop trying to dictate what the members here should be doing ("help me or fuck off").
5. You're asking about a piece of hardware most people here find disgusting, these might not be the right forums for you.

PS: I got 3k, you blind?