NeoGeoX Hacking and Mods

Jbrodack

n00b
I don't know where rumors of guides for hacks not being allowed here got started. The only thing that isn't allowed is roms. Which includes selling modded sd cards with roms on them or detailing where to get roms. Hacking is allowed. Piracy is not. Correct me if I'm wrong but those seemed to be the clear rules of the forum.

Endlessnameless

They call me Gringo,
Tommo should be sued for

A) Not following GPL rules & making money off linux
B) Stealing the Final Burn emulator

For everything they did there is crystal clear proof, they would be obliterated in court.

I may be wrong, but I believe someone on here stated that they found a psx bios on the rom too?
Even though the system is nearly 20 years old I don't think sony would like that and if true would be C) including a sony psx bios on the rom

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Just out of curiosity, what does that (the alleged psx bios find) mean for the future of the device's support on here? If it's *that* dodgy, is there a chance that it could/should be pulled from the active threads as a discussion topic?

Not trying to get it booted, mind you, just curious concerning the legal ramifications behind this.

Superdanx

Goal! Goal! Goal!
10 Year Member
There are no legal ramifications, no one other than about four people on this forum gives a shit.

This information has been public knowledge for some time now a neither Sony or the Final Burn people seem to care.

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Haha, fair enough...appreciate the heads up :)

I will probably wind up getting one myself, just for the simple fact to have one to add to my inventory. Bad reviews and all, the OCD completionist in me says 'get one!'. Of course, that probably means I will undoubtedly lose my mind once I start acquiring MVS carts, but that is a concern for another day!

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
I don't know where rumors of guides for hacks not being allowed here got started. The only thing that isn't allowed is roms. Which includes selling modded sd cards with roms on them or detailing where to get roms. Hacking is allowed. Piracy is not. Correct me if I'm wrong but those seemed to be the clear rules of the forum.

That pretty much covers it.

Any other complaints or rumors are just that. The anti-NGX garbage is being parroted by people who got vacations for blatantly disregarding the rules or n00bs who want their food chewed for them.

jrronimo

n00b
If they said that on FB, then they have to be mistaken. The press release says there a 5 "volumes" and there are 15 games total, indicating 3 games per volume, with a "volume" presumably being a game card. Looking up in the press release, they specifically name three games (Sengoku, Metal Slug (2), and Top Hunter" as coming sooner than the others). And now they've posted a pic on their FB of those three logos.

Regardless, yeah, if it was all 15 one card, that's be good.

Turns out I was reading the wrong FB page. There's facebook.com/NEOGEOXUSA, which is legit. I was reading another one and they were mistaken. I'm pretty sure it'll be 5 cartridges x 3 games each. I'll probably buy them no matter what, but I sincerely hope Tommo prices them nicely -- $15, $20, maybe.

Hell, it'll probably be $30.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
So which version comes with the cable? I don't really need five of the suckers.

Frankly, I wish they'd offer the option of just paying $200 and getting every game up front. I don't feel like waiting five years for these things to trickle out, the entire time wondering when and if the next volume will be released and at what price. I mean, "late April" isn't that far away and they don't even know what they want to charge yet.

SlickDizzy

Mr. Big's Thug
I don't know where rumors of guides for hacks not being allowed here got started.

Some of you may have noticed that there are no longer threads open for the sharing of information on how to hack and bypass what you or may not regard highly at all as copyright law.

So that's your warning. Either change the reason you're here, or set up shop elsewhere.

Beaps

Kabuki Klasher
I am just short of drop kicking this handheld out the window lol

I have done 2 modded SD cards, checked em with my multimeter, fine.

Converted the roms renamed to game1.fba, added an image & the config file. Placed them in the game_card folder (I think it's called)

Switched on the X, nothing. Is it because its 370fw?

TurboRotary13b

Crossed Swords Squire
I am just short of drop kicking this handheld out the window lol

I have done 2 modded SD cards, checked em with my multimeter, fine.

Converted the roms renamed to game1.fba, added an image & the config file. Placed them in the game_card folder (I think it's called)

Switched on the X, nothing. Is it because its 370fw?

Nope.. Youre just not doing something right.

Beaps

Kabuki Klasher
I think it's the SD card myself. Is it meant to be fat16 or fat32. Also would it be possible to upload your SD card (minus the roms obviously) so I can test what a working SD card should look like?

Neo*Geo*Ordo

New Challenger
this site is a joke

Tommo should be sued for

A) Not following GPL rules & making money off linux
B) Stealing the Final Burn emulator

For everything they did there is crystal clear proof, they would be obliterated in court.

Huh, Tommo can steal whatever they want and I can't discuss getting ROMS I LEGALLY OWN working on this junk? Fuck Tommo and fuck this site. Everyone here must be butthurt over paying thousands of dollars for official AES titles when others get the same exact game on MVS for $10 (or emulate them for free)... Tommo's terrific security on this system is already the joke of the year (4 SD card pins swapped-LOL), but we can't discuss this simple mod because (ooooh) :shame: Tommo and SNK visit this site. LOL. Lets see some more naked pics of Rot :tickled: (WTF), cause that is what this site is about, snobby AES owners/NG Admins who are pissed that others are enjoying the same games for thousands of dollars less than what they paid for the same exact titles.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Huh, Tommo can steal whatever they want and I can't discuss getting ROMS I LEGALLY OWN working on this junk? Fuck Tommo and fuck this site. Everyone here must be butthurt over paying thousands of dollars for official AES titles when others get the same exact game on MVS for $10 (or emulate them for free)... Tommo's terrific security on this system is already the joke of the year (4 SD card pins swapped-LOL), but we can't discuss this simple mod because (ooooh) :shame: Tommo and SNK visit this site. LOL. Lets see some more naked pics of Rot :tickled: (WTF), cause that is what this site is about, snobby AES owners/NG Admins who are pissed that others are enjoying the same games for thousands of dollars less than what they paid for the same exact titles.

ScreenShot2013-02-27at42520PM_zps9c1f495d.png

Gamemaster

20 Year Member

Dont know but i did enjoy thease games on AES 20 or more years ago. Prices where high but the games was the best you could get back then. Original arcade at home. MVS was way mor expensive back then. I personally dont regret paying big money back then to have thease nice games.
Today sure you could get Roms everywhere or just legaly buy em from Tommo for a low price. Will you be able to play thease on original Neo-Geo Hardware ? No. Will you get hold of some rare collectors items with thease Tommo games/roms ? Nope.
I am mad about that you can now buy thease games/roms for a lot less ? Nope. Why ? just because i do own thouse games already 20 or more years and bought em at a time most ppl could only dream of having them. I also still have nice cases and instructions and actually did support SNK back then.
Now with Tommo you might only support Tommo that is selling a chinese cheap Dingoo handheld and romfiles.

Neo*Geo*Ordo

New Challenger
But you do not seem hostile... it's the collectors that are hunting the games NOW for thousands of dollars that are angry. My main point is that Tommo can break the law on a much larger scale (making money) and it is the homebrew hobbyist who is the criminal for using ROMs that he/she could very well own the actual game cart of (as with the case of *most* of the users of this site). Lets not be hypocrites. Tommo can't say shit about ppl using roms. PERIOD.

Last edited:

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
Everyone here must be butthurt over paying thousands of dollars for official AES titles when others get the same exact game on MVS for $10 (or emulate them for free). But you do not seem hostile... it's the collectors that are hunting the games NOW for thousands of dollars that are angry.

That is a silly argument. Roms have been readily available for years, including neo geo roms. Why would collectors give a shit about that.

Neo*Geo*Ordo

New Challenger
That is a silly argument. Roms have been readily available for years, including neo geo roms. Why would collectors give a shit about that.
They do give a shit. It's always the collectors that start bithcing whenever roms are brought up. I guess they really are angry that someone *might* be breaking the law. Not that others are enjoying the same experience without spending thousands. Whatever, the Neo store (suppoerted by this site) is selling a multicart (ie: unofficial roms) for the AES for hundreds of dollars so lets stop getting all high and mighty about ROMs... fucking naming this forum Romwhore Island just because one person was selling a modded SD card with roms is the best example of the Admins here having butthurt fever.

Last edited:

Neo*Geo*Ordo

New Challenger
My main point is that Tommo can break the law on a much larger scale (making money) and it is the homebrew hobbyist who is the criminal for using ROMs that he/she could very well own the actual game cart of (as with the case of *most* of the users of this site). Lets not be hypocrites.

Again... my main point.

Gamemaster

20 Year Member
So whats your point ? Because Tommo does use a Emulator that is not for comercial use on its unit, you think selling roms is less bad ?
You really think ppl on this boards own all Neo-Geo games on MVS or AES ?
See i dont care if you use roms to play some old games you could not buy anymore, the companys that made thouse games could care.
Using roms you dont own is still illegal in many countrys thats why its not allowed to link or sell roms. I can also see there is a problem if stuff like that is posted here freely. This site may came down because of it and that would be a pitty.

As for the shop and the bootleg multicard, i can agree its not really wise to sell it offical. Then again who knows maybe Shawn paid some money to licence thouse games and sells em on a AES cart.

Last edited:

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
They do give a shit. It's always the collectors that start bithcing whenever roms are brought up. I guess they really are angry that someone *might* be breaking the law. Not that others are enjoying the same experience without spending thousands. Whatever, the Neo store (suppoerted by this site) is selling a multicart (ie: unofficial roms) for the AES for hundreds of dollars so lets stop getting all high and mighty about ROMs... fucking naming this forum Romwhore Island just because one person was selling a modded SD card with roms is the best example of the Admins here having butthurt fever.

Break the rules on piracy and you're gone. It's a simple rule.

Justify your behavior any way you want, it's still illegal and forbidden. I'll gladly ban you when you fuck up.

smaroll

Banned
you can easy bua a Micro SD MODDED Adapter for the NeoGeoX: Rot's Naked Azn Ass

Last edited by a moderator: