NeoGeoX Hacking and Mods

As someone who has contributed as much as they could in the early stages. I just wanna say one thing. There should be a forked thread for 337 models and 370. I think that would cut down on the newbie inquiries. I personally have been keeping up and I've seen out of the hundreds of posts for the 337 only about 2-5 talk about the 370 and how trying to flash it with the software should be avoided because it bricked their hardware. I say this respectively because it seems we are all in this for the same goal. Better frame rates and resolutions; but somehow we ended up on the wrong page.

Dack

n00b
As someone who has contributed as much as they could in the early stages. I just wanna say one thing. There should be a forked thread for 337 models and 370. I think that would cut down on the newbie inquiries. I personally have been keeping up and I've seen out of the hundreds of posts for the 337 only about 2-5 talk about the 370 and how trying to flash it with the software should be avoided because it bricked their hardware. I say this respectively because it seems we are all in this for the same goal. Better frame rates and resolutions; but somehow we ended up on the wrong page.

That's not a bad idea. It would cut back on confusion.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Well, this thread is going to grow and grow until the wizard nearly tilts the table. Eventually it will be 300 pages. Its fun to be a dick and continue to tell every noob* to read the entire thread over and over until some other website writes out a comprehensive list of info or...we just can put it here...on the Neo Geo site.

The entire NGX subforum is %99 assholes saying what a piece of shit the thing is. It would be cool to increase the ratio of beneficial posts.

Honestly, even something that just says what the current state of things is with the known system versions, what can and can't be done yet, etc, would be great. I just got a 337 and I'd really like to apply the video fix. Aside from the video (which is decent but not amazing) and the weird notch in the stick (which can also be fixed) I actually love this little machine. They went completely apeshit trying to create an OG Neo experience for people who can't afford to blow fifty grand on carts. There are flaws, but they are fixable, so I'm happy with it. I love the size and feel of the thing, the cool Neo CD style stick, the rubberized back. I can't quite figure out why people are so incredibly hostile towards it. Calling it a "rip off" when it runs less than half of what Samshow V Special alone cost, and that thing was a POS, seems...crazy, to me. I know Neo fans are a hostile bunch but...damn, WTF?

* and by "noob" I include people like myself. I've been following this thread for the two months that its been going but since I don't have a photographic memory, and I only managed to get a Neo Geo X a few days ago, I'd have to read the entire fucking thing again to find the good bits in the midst of a sea of bullshit posts.

Last edited:

compil3r

n00b
This just released:

Tommo Announces NEOGEO X Classics for the NEOGEO X™

15 New Games, System Update, Game Case and More Coming This Spring

Los Angeles, CA - February 21, 2013 - Tommo Inc., in partnership with SNK PLAYMORE, today announced, after a successful launch of the NEOGEO X GOLD Limited Edition, their plans to release 15 new titles for the NEOGEO X. Starting in April, Tommo will release NEOGEO X Classics: Volume I, the first in a series of NEOGEO X Classics Games Cards made exclusively for use with the NEOGEO X Handheld entertainment system.

NEOGEO X Classics: Volume I will blasts onto North American retail shelves in late April 2013, and will dazzle action fans with shoot 'em up classics METAL SLUG, SENGOKU, and TOP HUNTER, all on one NEOGEO X Game Card!

Full listing of titles for NEOGEO X Classics: Volume I-V:

ART OF FIGHTING 3
BLAZING STAR
BREAKERS REVENGE
FATAL FURY: MARK OF THE WOLVES
KIZUNA ENCOUNTER
THE KING OF FIGHTERS '96
THE LAST BLADE 2
METAL SLUG 2
SAMURAI SHODOWN 3
SAVAGE REIGN
SENGOKU
SHOCK TROOPERS
SUPER SIDEKICKS 3 - THE NEXT GLORY
TOP HUNTER
WORLD HEROES JET

In addition to these amazing classic NEOGEO AES games, Tommo will be including the "ROCKET" High-speed Data Transfer and Charging Travel Cable, at no additional cost, with each copy of NEOGEO X Classics: Volumes I-V.

As part of Tommo's continued support and development of the NEOGEO X and having, most importantly, listened to customer feedback, Tommo will also be including NEOGEO X System Update 1.0 with NEOGEO X Classics: Volume I. More details on the NEOGEO X System Update 1.0 will be released in the weeks to come. And because the fans asked for it, a NEOGEO X Travel Case is also in development, and is scheduled for release in April 2013.

Source (official press release)

Last edited:

dezign999

n00b
OK, before our thread gets shit on again I'm going to tell you new folks what the deal is.

For the folks who have just joined in, we had a step-by-step guide on some of this stuff. Then some douchebag was trying to sell rom filled SD cards or something so that thread and even THIS ONE were removed. We talked the powers-that-be into letting us have this thread back. Count yourself lucky. The NGX forum was actually titled "Rom Whore Island" for a while and that scared away a lot of the riff-raff.

That's why the folks in this thread aren't going to make a how to guide. This thread will have to be enough. It isn't up for debate, nobody is going to help you build a rom machine. If you want to help crack the NGX feel free to join in the discussion, but the folks that are still in this thread don't screw around when it comes to roms; the mods or the regular folk.

Thanks for the heads up. I actually read this thread during the shipping delay on my NGX and got the gist of your message a few times from other posters earlier on as well.

2 botched micro sd adapters later, I'm in business. I suck at soldering but I'm good at following directions :)

tcdev

NEST Puppet
Its fun to be a dick and continue to tell every noob* to read the entire thread over and over until some other website writes out a comprehensive list of info or...we just can put it here...on the Neo Geo site.
Finally some sanity on this thread! Unfortunately, the 'dicky' (elitist) attitude isn't limited to the NGX forums; it's prevalent on a lot of retro-related sites.

Honestly, even something that just says what the current state of things is with the known system versions, what can and can't be done yet, etc, would be great.
And wouldn't take much effort either. Though somehow I think that thread would end up being 300 pages too, eventually...

There are flaws, but they are fixable, so I'm happy with it. I love the size and feel of the thing, the cool Neo CD style stick, the rubberized back. I can't quite figure out why people are so incredibly hostile towards it.
I love mine as well. Having never been a hand-held gamer before now, it was a new experience for me to be able to play Last Resort as I sat on the train heading into the city the other day. The stick really is awesome, coming from someone that hates D-Pads and has never been able to play shmups with them.

The hostility is another example of the elitist attitude that exists within some segments of the Neo Geo community. I think it stems from the fact that Neo Geo hardware (including carts) is so expensive. Some 'purists' who spend thousands and thousands of dollars on their collection don't like the idea of someone being able to get a very similar experience on the NGX costing less than the price of many carts; so they attack it as being inferior. Rather pathetic really.

SlickDizzy

Mr. Big's Thug
Honestly, even something that just says what the current state of things is with the known system versions, what can and can't be done yet, etc, would be great.

The thing is, questions like this have been answered DOZENS of times now...but I guess I'll say it again.

Firmware 337: easiest to hack due to onboard microSD card. HDMI fix possible by opening system and direct flashing micro SD, or, supposedly by USB flash via Linux trickery.
Firmware 357: rumored to exist but never documented.
Firmware 370: difficult to hack due to onboard ROM instead of microSD. Supposedly some have been able to re-flash ROM but others have bricked their system by attempting. HDMI fix not successfully done yet.

All models can use rewired SD slot or microSD adapter to play user-loaded ROMs.

There. Now, time to wait until the next time this is asked in another five pages.

SlickDizzy

Mr. Big's Thug
BTW, in case you guys haven't realized, the mods have SPECIFICALLY asked us not to make this crystal clear as Tommo and SNKP are both on the forums and the last time detailed how-tos were posted the entire forum was closed and shut down due to end user license violation scares. If this forum is seen as supporting copyright violation in any way, neo-geo.com is the one who suffers. If you want to post a full how-to, go for it, and enjoy your ban...

Mattroid

Edo Express Delivery Guy
15 Year Member
This just released:

Tommo Announces NEOGEO X Classics for the NEOGEO X™

15 New Games, System Update, Game Case and More Coming This Spring

Source (official press release)

While I'm not super excited by this, I will likely buy it and enjoy it for what it is. If nothing else, it's potentially a step in the right direction. Though the skeptic in my wonders what will be part of the system update: fixes to issues posed here, removal of questionable content they themselves put on the system, or attempts at blocking the hacks? And I wonder what 'in the weeks to come' means? Anyone want to bet we hear what the update does after it's released? :p

Edit: In retrospect, 3 games on one card isn't terribly unreasonable, depending on price.

Last edited:

jrronimo

n00b
While I'm not super excited by this, I will likely buy it and enjoy it for what it is. If nothing else, it's potentially a step in the right direction. Though the skeptic in my wonders what will be part of the system update: fixes to issues posed here, removal of questionable content they themselves put on the system, or attempts at blocking the hacks? And I wonder what 'in the weeks to come' means? Anyone want to bet we hear what the update does after it's released? :p

At the very least, each firmware version has the ability to be dumped by anyone with a Linux box, details scattered throughout here. So even if the update ditches, say, the PSX BIOS, you could theoretically make a backup yourself. Given the difficulties getting a modified firmware back on the device, though, I don't know that it'd serve much purpose beyond being an archival backup.

I've pretty much given up on free time to modify the device and I'm enjoying it for what it is: A portable way to play Neo Geo games, which is exactly what I initially paid for. It seems like Tommo's listening to the fans and that this system update will likely be A Good Thing (tm), but only time and a changelog will tell...

Edit: In retrospect, 3 games on one card isn't terribly unreasonable, depending on price.

They said on their Facebook page that it's one cartridge with all 15 games on it. I'd pay $50 for that on the outside, but we'll have to see what the actual details are once more are available.

marvelus10

n00b
When I read the part about the updates being on the game cards, I had a thought. Maybe this is something the hackers here should try, I have no idea how or what to do in this case but as we can see from the productivity amongst some of the forum members this could be a viable exploit. So far everyone has tried via the USB and removal of the internal micro SD but I can not recall any mention of using the gamecard. We have already seen an exploited use of the gamecard, unibios and ROMs why not firmware?

Just a thought.

orly? system update from Tommo? Well it's last-chance saloon for me.. PLEASE let it be a fix, and not just an attempt to combat [piracy]

I have been forgetting how GOOD a real MVS actually plays and looks.. Truth be known, i hadn't really played any NG games in a few years, then the X came along and i had to have one, being an SNK fan and so on..

Really been resisting all the nagativity about it, but i must submit now, in it's current state, it's a poor crock of sh1te.. the lag in the controls, the flickery display, the washed out graphics, the SHITE grainy glitchy interleaved sound is unforgivable.

These are early days, but my god what a fright i took last night when comparing PULSTAR and BLAZING STAR across 3 platforms.. Even MAME on a crappy old p3/1000 in Dos just devestated the X - even on something like response of the controls - oh my.. Like SERIOUSLY - we had far superior NG emulation 11 years ago - WTF?

Wait, i'm ranting.. i need more coffee..

Mattroid

Edo Express Delivery Guy
15 Year Member
They said on their Facebook page that it's one cartridge with all 15 games on it. I'd pay $50 for that on the outside, but we'll have to see what the actual details are once more are available.
If they said that on FB, then they have to be mistaken. The press release says there a 5 "volumes" and there are 15 games total, indicating 3 games per volume, with a "volume" presumably being a game card. Looking up in the press release, they specifically name three games (Sengoku, Metal Slug (2), and Top Hunter" as coming sooner than the others). And now they've posted a pic on their FB of those three logos.

Regardless, yeah, if it was all 15 one card, that's be good.

OK then get to it, comb the thread for relevant info to mod the 337 NGX and help others out. Why is it up to someone else to gather the info for them? Instead of just being a lurker why not contribute? You said you followed the thread just fine, should be easy.

The people that want the NGX modded are the ones that can't do it, and the ones that can mod the NGX, don't want to.

I bought the NGX with high hopes and now i can't even sell it and i don't blame anyone for not buying it, hell if i would have waited another week or so i wouldn't have bought it either.

OK, I want to start this by saying I take no credit for any of this, I did this by following directions from another site. I have tried making a clean micro sd card adapter hack and failed multiple times. This extension method works perfect for me since I don’t use the NGX as a handheld system. Here is what you need:
SanDisk MINI SD adapter
MICRO SD adapter
IDE cable (fine wires)
Soldering iron and solder
Scotch tape
Micro sd card
The program “ConvertX Rom v3a”
And of course roms
Don’t ask me where to get any of this, if you google hard enough you will find it, here’s a hint, think French.

1. take your SANDISK MINI SD card adapter and remove the metal plate that covers the pins for the mini sd card.
2. strip off a section of the IDE cable so you have a section with 9 wires all stuck together
3. strip the ends of the wires and tin them with a soldering iron, only separate them just enough to be able to position them over the pins in the adapter
4. solder the wires to the pins on the MINI SD adapter so they lay as flat as possible.
2013-02-23221647_zps933dbb0d.jpg

5. strip and tin the other end of the cable. the cable doesn't have to be very long, mine is only about four inches.
6. take your MICRO SD adapter and flip it over and tin the contacts so there is a little blob of solder on each contact. be careful not to bridge any contacts, especially the two on the end that don't have a plastic divider.
7. solder the other end of the cable to the contacts making sure to cross the first two and the last two according to the many diagrams in this thread that cover making a micro adapter.
ngx_adapter_zpsc37a106e.jpg

8. once you think you are done get a multimeter and check continuity between the two cards, making sure the proper wires are crossed over.
9. once everything checks out wrap the areas that you soldered up with scotch tape to insulate them.
2013-02-23221713_zps021c7d24.jpg

10. this is important, I have only had success converting and transferring roms using Windows XP so try to use a computer running Windows XP for the rest of this.
11. get your micro sd card and connect it to your computer any way you see fit and format it in FAT32 while in the format menu, name the card “card_game” and then run the formatting process.
12. next unzip the ConvertX file and go to the folder called “roms”
13.in another window open up the folder where you have all your roms and pick 50 of your favorites, you can pick less than 50 if you like, but no more than 50.
14. copy the roms you selected into the ConvertX “roms” folder. You should notice there is already a neogeo.zip bios file there, be sure not to mess with that, it’s already set up with the universe bios 3.0.
15. with your roms in the ConvertX “roms” folder fire up ConvertX and hit Scan!
16. at this point if you downloaded the custom icons posted in the forums be sure to put them in the ConvertX “Icons” folder and be sure to check the circle that says “rename to game*.fba. Create conf file. Search / rename icon”
17. once you have everything ready, hit Action! And let it do its thing
18. once it is done, go to the ConvertX “roms” folder and there will be a folder in there called “Finish”, rename that folder “card_game” and drag it into the root of your micro sd card.
19. at this point you should have a micro sd card named “card_game” with a folder called “card_game” on it with your files inside that folder.
20. pop the MINI SD side into the NGX and pop the micro sd card into the MICRO SD card adapter side and turn on the system and see if all this time paid off!
21. I put the whole thing into the NGX docking station and closed it up because I don’t care for NGX as a hand held system plus it hides the extension you just made.
2013-02-23222016_zpse01b83d3.jpg

22. if this is all done correctly you should be able to run games from the card and run the UniBios 3.0. while loading a game, hold AB and C and you will have a menu to change the region and AES MVS and then in the game hit select and start at the same time during the game for the cheat menu. Have fun!
2013-02-23222122_zpsc474ee3c.jpg

2013-02-23222227_zps4ade3c8e.jpg

also, please buy the game sets that are coming out from Tommo, we all gotta support this thing so it sticks around for a while. with luck they will eventually have all the bugs worked out through firmware updates and hopefully every game will get released to complete our NEO GEO DREAM COLLECTION!!!

oh, and last but not least, it was nice knowing you guys, after posting this, i am sure to get banned. just remember, KEEP THE NEO GEO X ALIVE!!! support it, buy the games when they come out and buy another controller. spread the good word, not the hate!

tcdev

NEST Puppet
BTW, in case you guys haven't realized, the mods have SPECIFICALLY asked us not to make this crystal clear as Tommo and SNKP are both on the forums and the last time detailed how-tos were posted the entire forum was closed and shut down due to end user license violation scares.
I'm sceptical that the issue would be so "blurry". Either Tommo/SNKP are going to tolerate these sorts of posts, or they're going to kick up a fuss about any post even remotely mentioning hacking. You can't go half-way and still be in their good books... that's like to old bullshit people like to make up about only downloading roms for games you already own. Fairy tales to make pirates feel better about themselves.

Anyway, that's my opinion but I'm not a moderator so that will have no bearing on what does or doesn't happen on this site.

That aside, I'd like to be able to hack my NGX but still intend to purchase the games that I feel warrant the asking price. For me personally, that's specifically the Metal Slug series (why don't they release an Anthology? - the entire series on a single card would walk out the door I'm sure!!!), some blasters (again, why not do a shmup pack?) some puzzlers (Puzzle Bobble) and a few others like Shock Troopers. Unfortunately, they're more interested in having you pay for titles you wouldn't normally purchase, simply to get the ones you would. Tried and true tactic by every single compilation ever produced (except for the Metal Slug Anthology of course!). Here's the truth; you offer 3 games on a card, and if there's 1 game I want and 2 I don't - I won't be buying it. If there's 2 I want - I'll make a call on how badly I want them. 3 - you've got a sale.

Asure

Captain Dick,
Tommo should be sued for

A) Not following GPL rules & making money off linux
B) Stealing the Final Burn emulator

For everything they did there is crystal clear proof, they would be obliterated in court.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
also, please buy the game sets that are coming out from Tommo, we all gotta support this thing so it sticks around for a while. with luck they will eventually have all the bugs worked out through firmware updates and hopefully every game will get released to complete our NEO GEO DREAM COLLECTION!!!

we are now beta testers????? no we paid for a fully working system and tommo better fix this before they release any more games. the following better be done 1 pay for fba, 2 pay for linux. fix the emu.

if they do not fix said problems they do not have a claim on ip rights so this is free to hack and be on this great forum.

Tommo should be sued for

A) Not following GPL rules & making money off linux
B) Stealing the Final Burn emulator

For everything they did there is crystal clear proof, they would be obliterated in court.

This is what clears my mind of any guilt when interfering with my X.. the pi$$ was taken from the very start. But Tommo & Co. only exploited PL stuff - they/we all know it's impossible to exercise rights management on concepts with no tangible value..
Like, on what grounds would You sue? Loss of sleep? Lack of respect? breech of end-user agreements? Good luck demonstrating a loss there..

These things appear at trade shows all the time, and the vendor will dress it up *any* way you like.. They will even print a 'CE' mark on it - just ask! In fact, if this community wanted, they could produce their own X console, in any colour they liked, with whatever they wanted printed on it, and there is nothing anyone could do. The *real* payload in the X is the fact there are officially licenced romsets from SNK on-board.

I have faith tommo & co. were encouraged by the initial sales of the x, and i hope they build on this with a quality control update real soon.. Who knows, they might even give some young coder(s) a break and get them to write something decent for their platform - oh no, wait, if they did that, someone might STEAL IT AND PUT IT ON THEIR DEVICE WITHOUT ASKING.

(etc.)

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
oh, and last but not least, it was nice knowing you guys, after posting this, i am sure to get banned. just remember, KEEP THE NEO GEO X ALIVE!!! support it, buy the games when they come out and buy another controller. spread the good word, not the hate!

Look Numbnuts....

That was just a hardware hack... you posted no mention of romz... and hence, I can live with the post...

Stop being such a drama queen... if I wanted you gone... I'd have done it already...

xROTx

Look Numbnuts....

That was just a hardware hack... you posted no mention of romz... and hence, I can live with the post...

Stop being such a drama queen... if I wanted you gone... I'd have done it already...

xROTx

Thanks Rot. i wasn't sure, but i had the desire to share, especially since i kind of got called out after a previous post.