NeoGeoX Hacking and Mods

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
You have to manually sub that part in for every single title you want with unibios support.

Gamemaster

20 Year Member
Just wondering, if you can play Dingux on the NGX it shold also be possible to run the NGX Image on a Dingoo.

As for the boot stuff, i had to play around with my Dingoo back then to add a Dualboot and flash the bootloader. It was not really hard, had to install some drivers and put in some commands with some .exe. file ( if i remember right ).
Granted the tuturial was pretty easy, there was even some guy that wrote a gui based thing to have it even more easy.

Actually I believe that price for performance, a psp or pspgo is a really good portable emulator. The library of psp and psx games plus the ability to play a huge library of emulated games on nes,genesis,snes, gameboy etc is amazing. The n64 emulator isn't the best but you can at least play mario64 pretty well. It can emulate all neogeo games (at least the ones I've thrown at it) and a pspgo comes in a really portable package. Most people mistake mine for just another smart phone. And all this is done with an easily installable software mod so no need to fool with the hardware. I do believe people however when they say the ngpc "joypad" is superior to a d-pad. I don't have a ngpc so in my case its hard to miss something you've never had. Any games that I've played emulated or otherwise have played fine with the d-pad. I do understand the neogeo x and gcw do have faster processors than the psp but from what I gather the library of emulators and homebrew applications available for both platforms are in their infancy but i do hope development ramps up for both platforms as there is great potential for both. sry for rambling.

I owned a PSP 1000 and a slim, still do, and i have a boatload of emulators on them but i hardly ever play them for one sole reason, the Dpad, which is the worst i have ever used on any game console. And that is not to mention that the buttons slowly leave residue on the board so eventually the console always thinks its buttons are being pressed. Which long story short make a ton of games unplayable and the emulators freak out. And not to mention that the majority of the PSP library is awful at least in the states, so unless you plan on importing games from Japan, your not going to have a huge number of quality games.

And this is when you do not consider that the PSPGO has no disk drive and your limited to the games released on the PSN store which is missing a ton of good games. Have no clue if the Go suffers from the same issues as the original units. If i recall the slim had similar issues with the buttons eventually not responding properly.

The PSP was a good console but the emulation is far from perfect, specifically the N64 emulators and Super Nintendo ones, and the console has some major flaws. I rarely play mine because the buttons are so messed up that cleaning the board no longer solves the problem for long.

Honestly if your going to emulate games, the best option is a Pandora but be prepared to pay 400 bucks or more than likely a lot more than that especially if you want a new one. Has all the control options you could ever hope for, two SD slots, and is able to do far more than the PSP and has much more power hardware wise. The modern units have a 1GHz processor. Its a awesome little Linux unit. I honestly just wish they would go down in price.

Last edited:

Gamemaster

20 Year Member
The Pandora for 400$ is more a wish then reality.
Maybe its different in the US but here in germany you could never buy the Pandora that cheap. The cheaper ones where never availible you had to wait years to get one. Buying one here will cost you 723$ witch is a LoL price.
Also the Pandora had issues in the past, i remember the controllers, caseing, Wifi.
Its still more a diy unit then a console t play.
They still offer free upgrades for older Pandoras because of the problems.

Also what you actually want fom a Unit with no Games at all ? You always forced to play ilegal Software on Emu it has no own games.
Sure there are a few free Linux games but most of em you dont really want to play.

For that premium price i rather buy other stuff.

Mr.Ash

n00b
Getting banned just by asking some simple questions? Seriously, is this how people in this forum get a warm welcome?

Message from mod:

You have been banned for the following reason:
Here is a two week window for you to read the threads and not annoy others with your stupidity.

I haven't insulted anyone here at all but getting insulted myself by a mod telling me being stupid…

In the past 10-15 years i've successfully modded several consoles by myself (NeoGeo AES, CD, MVS, PSone, PS2, SNES, MegaDrive, Saturn, Dreamcast, etc.), so technically i have no problem doing this.

Back to topic:
I'm following this thread since it started (and read it trough two times by now). Still i can't get a clear picture. There is some information here and there (ans some chinese tool) but i simply can't figure the pieces together.
Therefore it would be a great help for everyone to have someone (who already successfully hacked the Neo Geo X) who's collecting all relevant information, tools, etc. and putting them together with a short how to. I'm positive this would be a great service to the community and improves the quality of information quite a bit.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Spend the two weeks and reread the thread again. Open two windows with one showing the thread and in another window copy and paste all the important points. That way you only get what you need and you can then experiment and figure it out by trial and error, something I'm assuming you can do since you have modded so many systems.

Mattroid

Edo Express Delivery Guy
15 Year Member
If you had read the entire thread then you'd have seen at least one of a handful of external links that provide a pretty clear picture step by step. No I don't have the pages bookmarked and no I'm not going to go find them.

SlickDizzy

Mr. Big's Thug
http://www.gotwalls.com/neogeox/nxu.dge.7z

To use it, decompress then copy it over the existing nxu.dge binary on the apps partition.

I have only tested this on the ngx lcd and hdmi ports. The changes only applies to actual game play, so expect the menu system to still look crappy

The following changes were made

LCD:
The default emu resolution is now 320x224, which means there will be black bars to fill out the rest of the screen. The black bars are on the sides and the bottom. Because of how the assembly was done its would have been a serious pita to center it top to bottom.
The alternate resolution is the previous 4:3 scaled version.

HDMI:
The resolution for emu is now 640x448, with some black bars on the sides and bottom.

I switched the scaling algorithm to be linear, it looks like it was bi-linear before. This gets rid of a lot of the blurriness, but not all of it.

-ack

Here is a re-up of the video fix. May have a crack at putting together a flash guide for 337 users, so that these imbeciles quit complaining that nobody wants to hold their hand through the process.

Here is a re-up of the video fix. May have a crack at putting together a flash guide for 337 users, so that these imbeciles quit complaining that nobody wants to hold their hand through the process.

I am guessing a lot of the "imbeciles" really do not need their hand held all the way, they are simply nervous in regards to flashing a $250 dollar device with a tool that is in a language they do not understand. It also does not help that there is no way to dump an image off the internal memory as far as i know without removing the internal Micro SD or compiling Linux dev code.

So flashing it potentially means running the risk of bricking your device, or damaging the hardware in some manner. They probably want some sort of solution similar to what was available on the PSP, a 100% safe softmod solution that ensures you will have a working handheld so long as you follow the instructions to the letter. And if by some fluke something goes wrong you can still recover it to the original software.

I have not attempted to do the video hack simply on these merits. I understand how to do it by reading this thread but until i find a way to dump the internal memory via USB that does not involve compiling software in Linux, which i have so far had no luck doing, i won't be doing it.

I am also hesitant, after hacking the PSP, having seen what updates can do if the producer of the hardware does not like that their product is being hacked. I do not want to flash this device unless i can return its software down to the smallest values to its original state as to prevent any bricking on the part of potential future updates that could add a fix like this and new features that this modding community has not done so far.

Which i feel in a large part has a lot to do with the large amounts of negativity in this forum. I have never seen a community like this keep being so negative. Everyone seems on edge. The forum was booming and i feel like a lot of the negativity around here has caused it to slow down.

I really just want to see this thread get back on track, and continue progressing towards some form of improvements on the Neo Geo X. And for people to just be a bit more understanding.

Last edited:

Bhm

Not to be confused with H&M,
Holy crap, what's with the elitist circle jerking up in here? Just be factual instead of arrogant, god damn.

tcdev

NEST Puppet
Holy crap, what's with the elitist circle jerking up in here? Just be factual instead of arrogant, god damn.
Couldn't agree more. Since when did swapping 2 wires on a connector and replacing a few files on linux disto make you a L33T HAXOR!?! The fact that this has stalled at this point for so long only illustrates the fact that the 'l33t haxors' on the forum are nothing more then script monkeys stabbing the dark. Whoot!

SlickDizzy

Mr. Big's Thug
I don't think anyone here is boasting about their l33t haxing as much as we're all sick of being repeatedly asked to have the process spelled out by some random newbie every other day. If swapping pins on an SD adapter or swapping files is so easy (I agree - it is), why do people repeatedly have to ask to have their hand held through the process? Most of the talent has left this thread because they either ran out of steam on the NGX or got sick of the trolls and noobs.

I don't think anyone here is boasting about their l33t haxing as much as we're all sick of being repeatedly asked to have the process spelled out by some random newbie every other day. If swapping pins on an SD adapter or swapping files is so easy (I agree - it is), why do people repeatedly have to ask to have their hand held through the process? Most of the talent has left this thread because they either ran out of steam on the NGX or got sick of the trolls and noobs.

If people are so sick of all the "random newbies", why doesn't someone that knows it all just post a tutorial in a separate thread and label it "hack tutorial" or something. if there isn't a tutorial and 52 pages of bitching and complaining and only a few paragraphs of real info there is going to be people asking all the time. i have been following this thread since Christmas and have been able to follow it fine, but if you are new to the forum and this thread especially, i kind of understand a noob's confusion; this thread is all over the place. i am not preaching here, and i really appreciate all that everyone has done here, but i am just happy that people are still interested in this Tommo abortion we all have come to like... sort of.

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
Is the GCW out yet? Curious if a firmware swap would be feasible since it's possible with Dingux. Same CPU would make for nice compatibility!

TurboRotary13b

Crossed Swords Squire
If people are so sick of all the "random newbies", why doesn't someone that knows it all just post a tutorial in a separate thread and label it "hack tutorial" or something. if there isn't a tutorial and 52 pages of bitching and complaining and only a few paragraphs of real info there is going to be people asking all the time. i have been following this thread since Christmas and have been able to follow it fine, but if you are new to the forum and this thread especially, i kind of understand a noob's confusion; this thread is all over the place. i am not preaching here, and i really appreciate all that everyone has done here, but i am just happy that people are still interested in this Tommo abortion we all have come to like... sort of.

Because it's the internet... The place where nothing makes sense and everyone pretends that they are 7'10" and can kick anyone's ass... Welcome.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Getting banned just by asking some simple questions? Seriously, is this how people in this forum get a warm welcome?

Message from mod:

You have been banned for the following reason:
Here is a two week window for you to read the threads and not annoy others with your stupidity.

I haven't insulted anyone here at all but getting insulted myself by a mod telling me being stupid…

In the past 10-15 years i've successfully modded several consoles by myself (NeoGeo AES, CD, MVS, PSone, PS2, SNES, MegaDrive, Saturn, Dreamcast, etc.), so technically i have no problem doing this.

Is it hard to suck your own dick?

A lot of people here have done the same, no one gives a fuck about you.

Back to topic:
I'm following this thread since it started (and read it trough two times by now). Still i can't get a clear picture. There is some information here and there (ans some chinese tool) but i simply can't figure the pieces together.
Therefore it would be a great help for everyone to have someone (who already successfully hacked the Neo Geo X) who's collecting all relevant information, tools, etc. and putting them together with a short how to. I'm positive this would be a great service to the community and improves the quality of information quite a bit.

The information is in this thread. If you and your little friends can't take the time to actually ready through it and just walk in here saying "CHEW MY FOOD FOR ME!" sorry, you're going to get slapped around.

Also, we have a CLEAR ROM policy which is the main reason WHY you were banned in the first place.

gamesboro

Kuroko's Training Dummy
OK, before our thread gets shit on again I'm going to tell you new folks what the deal is.

For the folks who have just joined in, we had a step-by-step guide on some of this stuff. Then some douchebag was trying to sell rom filled SD cards or something so that thread and even THIS ONE were removed. We talked the powers-that-be into letting us have this thread back. Count yourself lucky. The NGX forum was actually titled "Rom Whore Island" for a while and that scared away a lot of the riff-raff.

That's why the folks in this thread aren't going to make a how to guide. This thread will have to be enough. It isn't up for debate, nobody is going to help you build a rom machine. If you want to help crack the NGX feel free to join in the discussion, but the folks that are still in this thread don't screw around when it comes to roms; the mods or the regular folk.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Tommo and SNK visit this site.

If you'd like to completely disregard IP and Copyright law, run afowl of the DMCA, etc. I suggest starting your own forum and post a link to it here so all of your friends can join you there.

P.S. If you don't like it, go fuck yourself. You can make it easier and identify yourself so I can ban you quickly.

cabear

n00b

OK then get to it, comb the thread for relevant info to mod the 337 NGX and help others out. Why is it up to someone else to gather the info for them? Instead of just being a lurker why not contribute? You said you followed the thread just fine, should be easy.

The people that want the NGX modded are the ones that can't do it, and the ones that can mod the NGX, don't want to.

I bought the NGX with high hopes and now i can't even sell it and i don't blame anyone for not buying it, hell if i would have waited another week or so i wouldn't have bought it either.

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
Honestly that's the best thing about the NGX. The thumbstick is perfect!

compil3r

n00b
If I make a nice step by step guide, hosted somewhere else and put the link here, will I get in trouble?