NeoGeoX Hacking and Mods

mr_e

Tarma's Gun Polisher
If I catch anyone publically displaying Rom links.... I'll be dreadfully unhappy...

xROTx

Last edited by a moderator:

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
I'd like to know if popping in another fba rom would get it to run. I suppose we'll find out when burning gets back.

And if there's much risk in opening it up. Doing a case-swap for a DS Lite was hell.

ok here we go. i loaded some ext3 drivers on to my system so i can play around with my internal sd card.

I ran that .zip to .fba conversion tool that was talked about earlier in the thread and used it on Andro Dunos. copied it over to the sd card and launched the x.. it didn't show up.

i renamed it mslug.fba the file name for metal slug on the card and then selected it.. BINGO.. it works..

Fuck tommo.. If I did this then ANYONE can do this.. I'm going to make a youtube video of it and then I'm going to sleep. I have to work at 5am tommorrow :/

also, it looks like the ninja master card is fat16? is that right? i don't know..

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
ok here we go. i loaded some ext3 drivers on to my system so i can play around with my internal sd card.

I ran that .zip to .fba conversion tool that was talked about earlier in the thread and used it on Andro Dunos. copied it over to the sd card and launched the x.. it didn't show up.

i renamed it mslug.fba the file name for metal slug on the card and then selected it.. BINGO.. it works..

Fuck tommo.. If I did this then ANYONE can do this.. I'm going to make a youtube video of it and then I'm going to sleep. I have to work at 5am tommorrow :/

also, it looks like the ninja master card is fat16? is that right? i don't know..

hahaha, great job man and thanks for posting a video.

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
I take it the re-assembly is easy, then?

Guess there's another file you'll have to modify that lists the roms.

Lectoid

n00b
I was hoping someone else would take the lead on this. I'm not good on the software side of things. I can follow directions to do stuff, but I'm not a pioneer on that side. I just wanted to do what I could to help get things rolling.

FA-MAS

Kula's Candy

So are you saying you injected another game in place of metal slug and it worked?

Edit: oh shit, you are. Just saw the video.

Last edited:

Lectoid

n00b
Lectoid you did get get the ball rolling. If I didn't see you pics of the SD card I would have never opened mine. Thanks for that.

Andro Dunos on the Neo Geo X Gold video:

http://youtu.be/domwzADkbk4

GOOD NIGHT!

1233928590_citizen kane clapping.gif

SSS

neo retired
There's probably a file in the root or config directory that lists the games.

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
There's probably a file in the root or config directory that lists the games.

I went through all the files in text mode and couldn't find any list. Shouldn't there also be the game's title cards since Metal Slug's picture remained as well?

NipRing

The Shlonginator,
Shit, i better get one of these before they find out and pull them off the shelves

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
It was likely compiled with just those games activated or whatever the jargon is. The FBA that was used would simply need to be re-compiled unticking/ opening up or whatever the hell its called the rest of the games.

how do I extract the .img ? I want to look at all of the files and see what the hell is going on in there.

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
It was likely compiled with just those games activated or whatever the jargon is. The FBA that was used would simply need to be re-compiled unticking/ opening up or whatever the hell its called the rest of the games.

how do I extract the .img ? I want to look at all of the files and see what the hell is going on in there.

The Autopsy program he mentioned.

Frank_fjs

n00b
Here's the download link for Autopsy: http://www.sleuthkit.org/autopsy/

I'm hunting through the files myself but have yet to find anything...

It would be useful if someone could work out something re the Ninja Masters image as well, will be much easier to load roms via the external SD.

Lectoid

n00b
I'd rather go the external SD card route as well. And judging how you run Ninja Masters, I'd say they intend on having multiple cards on games. Otherwise Ninja Masters would just start up as soon as you selected "NEO GEO" card instead of going in to another menu to select the game.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Ive used daemon tools to mount the image, Ext2FSD to let me check out the files but even in the service options that seems to allow me to enable write to disk, I cannot copy files over to a harddisk (says write protected) or I get some MS-DOS write error.

If all of the files could get dumped, I'm sure someone like Lantus could take a look at the emulation piece (FBA) and see what all needs to be done to open up the menu to accept the entire library. There's also likely a place that has the images for the games which we would likely have to create with matching rom names to allow them to individually show up on the menu.

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
I'd rather go the external SD card route as well. And judging how you run Ninja Masters, I'd say they intend on having multiple cards on games. Otherwise Ninja Masters would just start up as soon as you selected "NEO GEO" card instead of going in to another menu to select the game.

How did you get the mini board inside loose? Seems to be attached to the stick in the front and I'm not sure how to separate them. The photos aren't giving me much indication.

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Hi

Looking at the internal image it appears they were connecting to the ngx over a usb network device. If you look in /etc/inittab.

# USB networking
#::sysinit:/sbin/ifconfig usb0 10.1.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.252 up
#::sysinit:/sbin/route add default gw 10.1.0.1

# Miscellaneous daemons
#::sysinit:/usr/sbin/inetd

I bet if someone were to un-comment those lines and put the correct usb network device on it you could get in over the network via telnet. There are 2 users with no passwords, root and default.

Kernel version appears to be 2.6.31.3-g0fbfaf2-dirty running MIPS 32bit.

heh, /etc/hostname is dingux.

I am also curious how the image was created, it looks like maybe a dd was done of an individual partition and not the raw device? The TestDisk output shows 4 partitions, but the img file is a raw ext3 fs.

-ack

Last edited: