Page 5 of 60 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: NeoGeoX Hacking and Mods

Cheng's Errand Boy

If I catch anyone publically displaying Rom links.... I'll be dreadfully unhappy...

xROTx
    Last edited by Rot; 12-23-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: PLS! Do not link Rom images.... FFS...

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman

can some test if this image works on a new sd card?
    I guess it's a good day for Were-Jag... -NG: DEV.TEAM
    It's only fucking 50 USD for crying out loud. -Yakumo
    If there's one thing I hate in life more than anything else it's freeloaders. -Yakumo
    "reality has a well-known liberal bias." - Stephen Colbert

NEST Puppet

I'd like to know if popping in another fba rom would get it to run. I suppose we'll find out when burning gets back.

And if there's much risk in opening it up. Doing a case-swap for a DS Lite was hell.

ok here we go. i loaded some ext3 drivers on to my system so i can play around with my internal sd card.

I ran that .zip to .fba conversion tool that was talked about earlier in the thread and used it on Andro Dunos. copied it over to the sd card and launched the x.. it didn't show up.

i renamed it mslug.fba the file name for metal slug on the card and then selected it.. BINGO.. it works..

Fuck tommo.. If I did this then ANYONE can do this.. I'm going to make a youtube video of it and then I'm going to sleep. I have to work at 5am tommorrow :/

also, it looks like the ninja master card is fat16? is that right? i don't know..

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!

They call me Hell. They call me stacey. They call me her. They call me Jane. That's not my name. That's not my name. That's not my name. ☭

Quote Originally Posted by burningtoys View Post
    ok here we go. i loaded some ext3 drivers on to my system so i can play around with my internal sd card.

I ran that .zip to .fba conversion tool that was talked about earlier in the thread and used it on Andro Dunos. copied it over to the sd card and launched the x.. it didn't show up.

i renamed it mslug.fba the file name for metal slug on the card and then selected it.. BINGO.. it works..

Fuck tommo.. If I did this then ANYONE can do this.. I'm going to make a youtube video of it and then I'm going to sleep. I have to work at 5am tommorrow :/

also, it looks like the ninja master card is fat16? is that right? i don't know..
    hahaha, great job man and thanks for posting a video.

NEST Puppet

I take it the re-assembly is easy, then?

Guess there's another file you'll have to modify that lists the roms.

I was hoping someone else would take the lead on this. I'm not good on the software side of things. I can follow directions to do stuff, but I'm not a pioneer on that side. I just wanted to do what I could to help get things rolling.

Lectoid you did get get the ball rolling. If I didn't see you pics of the SD card I would have never opened mine. Thanks for that.

Andro Dunos on the Neo Geo X Gold video:

http://youtu.be/domwzADkbk4

GOOD NIGHT!

Edo Express Delivery Guy

So are you saying you injected another game in place of metal slug and it worked?

Edit: oh shit, you are. Just saw the video.
    Last edited by FA-MAS; 12-22-2012 at 10:49 PM.

Lectoid you did get get the ball rolling. If I didn't see you pics of the SD card I would have never opened mine. Thanks for that.

Andro Dunos on the Neo Geo X Gold video:

http://youtu.be/domwzADkbk4

GOOD NIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by FA-MAS View Post
    So are you saying you injected another game in place of metal slug and it worked?
    Say it, hell. He has video proof!!!

neo retired

There's probably a file in the root or config directory that lists the games.

NEST Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by SSS View Post
    There's probably a file in the root or config directory that lists the games.
    I went through all the files in text mode and couldn't find any list. Shouldn't there also be the game's title cards since Metal Slug's picture remained as well?

The Shlonginator

Shit, i better get one of these before they find out and pull them off the shelves

Collaborator

Behold my scalps:

It was likely compiled with just those games activated or whatever the jargon is. The FBA that was used would simply need to be re-compiled unticking/ opening up or whatever the hell its called the rest of the games.

how do I extract the .img ? I want to look at all of the files and see what the hell is going on in there.

NEST Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCverA View Post
    It was likely compiled with just those games activated or whatever the jargon is. The FBA that was used would simply need to be re-compiled unticking/ opening up or whatever the hell its called the rest of the games.

how do I extract the .img ? I want to look at all of the files and see what the hell is going on in there.
    The Autopsy program he mentioned.

Here's the download link for Autopsy: http://www.sleuthkit.org/autopsy/

I'm hunting through the files myself but have yet to find anything...

It would be useful if someone could work out something re the Ninja Masters image as well, will be much easier to load roms via the external SD.

Cheng's Errand Boy

And now, I buy one.

I'd rather go the external SD card route as well. And judging how you run Ninja Masters, I'd say they intend on having multiple cards on games. Otherwise Ninja Masters would just start up as soon as you selected "NEO GEO" card instead of going in to another menu to select the game.

Collaborator

Behold my scalps:

Ive used daemon tools to mount the image, Ext2FSD to let me check out the files but even in the service options that seems to allow me to enable write to disk, I cannot copy files over to a harddisk (says write protected) or I get some MS-DOS write error.

If all of the files could get dumped, I'm sure someone like Lantus could take a look at the emulation piece (FBA) and see what all needs to be done to open up the menu to accept the entire library. There's also likely a place that has the images for the games which we would likely have to create with matching rom names to allow them to individually show up on the menu.

NEST Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Lectoid View Post
    I'd rather go the external SD card route as well. And judging how you run Ninja Masters, I'd say they intend on having multiple cards on games. Otherwise Ninja Masters would just start up as soon as you selected "NEO GEO" card instead of going in to another menu to select the game.
    How did you get the mini board inside loose? Seems to be attached to the stick in the front and I'm not sure how to separate them. The photos aren't giving me much indication.

Crazed MVS Addict

Hi

Looking at the internal image it appears they were connecting to the ngx over a usb network device. If you look in /etc/inittab.

# USB networking
    #::sysinit:/sbin/ifconfig usb0 10.1.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.252 up
    #::sysinit:/sbin/route add default gw 10.1.0.1

# Miscellaneous daemons
    #::sysinit:/usr/sbin/inetd

I bet if someone were to un-comment those lines and put the correct usb network device on it you could get in over the network via telnet. There are 2 users with no passwords, root and default.

Kernel version appears to be 2.6.31.3-g0fbfaf2-dirty running MIPS 32bit.

heh, /etc/hostname is dingux.

I am also curious how the image was created, it looks like maybe a dd was done of an individual partition and not the raw device? The TestDisk output shows 4 partitions, but the img file is a raw ext3 fs.

-ack
    Last edited by ack; 12-23-2012 at 12:12 AM.

Warrior of the Innanet

Shit, I might have to pick one up now.

War Room Troll

This is probably fake, but check this out.

Warrior of the Innanet

Quote Originally Posted by Lan Di View Post
    This is probably fake, but check this out.
    Wow, if only someone here would have posted that video earlier. Thanks for the update!

Thread Information