NeoGeoX Hacking and Mods

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Ingenic JZ4770 CPU (1 GHz, ~250 mW)

Includes: 1080p video decoding unit for H.264, VC-1 and VP8 (a secondary 500 MHz MIPS processor with SIMD extension), 2D+3D GC860 Graphics core (licensed from Vivante) supporting OpenGL ES 2.0 and OpenVG 1.1

That is one beastly CPU for a Neo Geo emulator.
In the Wiki article I read (i'm assuming you did, too), I found this very interesting:
Another popular device, the Dingoo gaming handheld, uses the JZ4732, a de facto JZ4740.
The 4740 on that spread sheet in the Wiki article didn't have nearly the bells and whistles of the 4770. I'm going to be watching this thread with great interest.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Lol, looks like the other thread just hijacked this one. You stupid cunts!

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
Ingenic JZ4770 CPU (1 GHz, ~250 mW)

Includes: 1080p video decoding unit for H.264, VC-1 and VP8 (a secondary 500 MHz MIPS processor with SIMD extension), 2D+3D GC860 Graphics core (licensed from Vivante) supporting OpenGL ES 2.0 and OpenVG 1.1

That is one beastly CPU for a Neo Geo emulator.

Perhaps Tommo was telling us the truth about future games. Maybe they will actually make bona fide NGX-specific games utilizing the beefy hardware. That description mentioned a 2D+3D graphics core; can we see some 3D gaming in the coming months?

SSS

neo retired
Perhaps Tommo was telling us the truth about future games. Maybe they will actually make bona fide NGX-specific games utilizing the beefy hardware. That description mentioned a 2D+3D graphics core; can we see some 3D gaming in the coming months?

I wouldn't read too much into the specs. They probably just went with readily available on the shelf components. Wouldn't make sense to track down older out of date stuff just for the fact neo emulation doesn't require much CPU power.

FA-MAS

Kula's Candy
Just catching up on this, so there are no tattletales built into the system (eg: tape, foil) that if you break by opening it, Tommo would automatically know if you did?

Was also gonna try a dd of Ninja Masters on my Mac. But it doesn't even recognize there's a partition to mount. Almost like the partition table is something else or intentionally "corrupted"

Edit: 337 for me. If someone's got a newer version showing and has a sys_update_file, and could upload it somewhere. I'd try dropping it on my device and see what it does.

Also Lectoid, what about opening sys_update_file with a hex editor?

I also hooked it up to USB and it mounted as a USB drive with nothing on it. I did a dd anyway.

Last edited:

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
Just catching up on this, so there are no tattletales built into the system (eg: tape, foil) that if you break by opening it, Tommo would automatically know if you did?

Was also gonna try a dd of Ninja Masters on my Mac. But it doesn't even recognize there's a partition to mount. Almost like the partition table is something else or intentionally "corrupted"

From what I could figure according to linux it doesn't even have a partition table, just raw data. There was a windows program mentioned earlier (FTK Manager) that allowed digging into mine, but it was a dead end at \000001~\file. Though mine might be corrupted (since it's no longer playable), perhaps more success would be found with a working card like yours.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Version 370 on mine. btw I ordered mine from Gamestop. It came in 100% pristine condition.

FA-MAS

Kula's Candy
Version 370 on mine. btw I ordered mine from Gamestop. It came in 100% pristine condition.

Think you could plug it into a PC, see if you have that update file on it and send a copy to me?

Edit: Also, a guy on NeoGAF opened up the stick here.
I'm Bearded Dudebro over there if anyone else is a member & wants to add me to their friend list.

Last edited:

Lectoid

n00b
So I found this today using a hexeditor for that sys_update_file. There's pages of this, I didn't want to post a hundred screen shots.

vqJte.png

R6qXE.png

Lectoid

n00b
One more, this should make some of you happy. Maybe, I don't know what this really means. Maybe just place holders.

edie0.png

FA-MAS

Kula's Candy
Yeah, looks like a rom set. Seems to tie plain english game names to short names kind of like Final Burn would launch Fatal Fury 3 by you using fatfury3 as the rom name. Also kind of looks like default settings too. Like # of credits, difficulty, button mapping for any particular game.

Last edited:

Frank_fjs

n00b
Not really surprising that they used FBA, I had a hunch that this might have been the case. Heaps of other devices have done the same thing, like some of the later 'Dingoo' type handhelds.

The good news is that it won't be long before someone works out how to add more roms to this device.

FA-MAS

Kula's Candy
From what I could figure according to linux it doesn't even have a partition table, just raw data. There was a windows program mentioned earlier (FTK Manager) that allowed digging into mine, but it was a dead end at \000001~\file. Though mine might be corrupted (since it's no longer playable), perhaps more success would be found with a working card like yours.

Curious, anyone try using fdisk on a linux machine to inspect Ninja Masters to see if there is a partition table of some type?

mr_e

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Anyone DD the system SD yet? I'm itching to crack into this. Been reading like mad. Squashfs seems like the filesystem type. Should be mountable with the right extensions. As soon as we can read/browse the filesystem, the sooner we get more emus on here. From everything I'm reading, the X is just a beefy CPU dingoo. Which is pretty well documented. This should be easy.

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
Anyone DD the system SD yet? I'm itching to crack into this. Been reading like mad. Squashfs seems like the filesystem type. Should be mountable with the right extensions. As soon as we can read/browse the filesystem, the sooner we get more emus on here. From everything I'm reading, the X is just a beefy CPU dingoo. Which is pretty well documented. This should be easy.

Lectoid sounded as though he planned to open it back up this weekend, so I suppose he's the best bet.