Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: NeoGeoX Hacking and Mods

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener

Quote Originally Posted by 68k View Post
    Ingenic JZ4770 CPU (1 GHz, ~250 mW)

Includes: 1080p video decoding unit for H.264, VC-1 and VP8 (a secondary 500 MHz MIPS processor with SIMD extension), 2D+3D GC860 Graphics core (licensed from Vivante) supporting OpenGL ES 2.0 and OpenVG 1.1

That is one beastly CPU for a Neo Geo emulator.
    In the Wiki article I read (i'm assuming you did, too), I found this very interesting:
    Another popular device, the Dingoo gaming handheld, uses the JZ4732, a de facto JZ4740.
    The 4740 on that spread sheet in the Wiki article didn't have nearly the bells and whistles of the 4770. I'm going to be watching this thread with great interest.

my ngx revision is 370

337 here. Wonder what the difference is?
    In the beginning, god created the universe.
    This has made a lot of people very angry, and is generally regarded as a bad move.

Vatanen & Richards: The Winner 1981 WRC

Collaborator

Behold my scalps:

Lol, looks like the other thread just hijacked this one. You stupid cunts!

Frenzy Football Player

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCverA View Post
    Lol, looks like the other thread just hijacked this one. You stupid cunts!
    Eh?
    PLEASE NOTE! Many of the posts prior to 2005 ARE NOT FROM ME!...They are from the member who now goes by the name "spoon".

SpooNMan's NEO-GEO Website (1996-2013)
    Video Game Obsession Website

Crossed Swords Squire

Quote Originally Posted by 68k View Post
    Ingenic JZ4770 CPU (1 GHz, ~250 mW)

Includes: 1080p video decoding unit for H.264, VC-1 and VP8 (a secondary 500 MHz MIPS processor with SIMD extension), 2D+3D GC860 Graphics core (licensed from Vivante) supporting OpenGL ES 2.0 and OpenVG 1.1

That is one beastly CPU for a Neo Geo emulator.
    Perhaps Tommo was telling us the truth about future games. Maybe they will actually make bona fide NGX-specific games utilizing the beefy hardware. That description mentioned a 2D+3D graphics core; can we see some 3D gaming in the coming months?

Collaborator

Behold my scalps:

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
    Eh?
    Nvm happening on both.
    Last edited by NeoCverA; 12-22-2012 at 12:48 AM.

NEST Puppet

370 here.

neo retired

Quote Originally Posted by Mai_Lover View Post
    Perhaps Tommo was telling us the truth about future games. Maybe they will actually make bona fide NGX-specific games utilizing the beefy hardware. That description mentioned a 2D+3D graphics core; can we see some 3D gaming in the coming months?
    I wouldn't read too much into the specs. They probably just went with readily available on the shelf components. Wouldn't make sense to track down older out of date stuff just for the fact neo emulation doesn't require much CPU power.

Edo Express Delivery Guy

Just catching up on this, so there are no tattletales built into the system (eg: tape, foil) that if you break by opening it, Tommo would automatically know if you did?

Was also gonna try a dd of Ninja Masters on my Mac. But it doesn't even recognize there's a partition to mount. Almost like the partition table is something else or intentionally "corrupted"

Edit: 337 for me. If someone's got a newer version showing and has a sys_update_file, and could upload it somewhere. I'd try dropping it on my device and see what it does.

Also Lectoid, what about opening sys_update_file with a hex editor?

I also hooked it up to USB and it mounted as a USB drive with nothing on it. I did a dd anyway.
    Last edited by FA-MAS; 12-22-2012 at 02:51 AM.

NEST Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by FA-MAS View Post
    Just catching up on this, so there are no tattletales built into the system (eg: tape, foil) that if you break by opening it, Tommo would automatically know if you did?

Was also gonna try a dd of Ninja Masters on my Mac. But it doesn't even recognize there's a partition to mount. Almost like the partition table is something else or intentionally "corrupted"
    From what I could figure according to linux it doesn't even have a partition table, just raw data. There was a windows program mentioned earlier (FTK Manager) that allowed digging into mine, but it was a dead end at \000001~\file. Though mine might be corrupted (since it's no longer playable), perhaps more success would be found with a working card like yours.

Kuroko's Training Dummy

Rugal's Thug

Quote Originally Posted by trustMe View Post
    The Neo Geo X is running FinalBurnAlpha? Am I reading that right?

Kuroko's Training Dummy

This is what's written in the sys-update-file.

Art of Typing Wiz

Version 370 on mine. btw I ordered mine from Gamestop. It came in 100% pristine condition.
    . . . . . .

Edo Express Delivery Guy

Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    Version 370 on mine. btw I ordered mine from Gamestop. It came in 100% pristine condition.
    Think you could plug it into a PC, see if you have that update file on it and send a copy to me?

Edit: Also, a guy on NeoGAF opened up the stick here.
    I'm Bearded Dudebro over there if anyone else is a member & wants to add me to their friend list.
    Last edited by FA-MAS; 12-22-2012 at 10:02 AM.

So I found this today using a hexeditor for that sys_update_file. There's pages of this, I didn't want to post a hundred screen shots.

One more, this should make some of you happy. Maybe, I don't know what this really means. Maybe just place holders.

neo retired

Wow, that looks like a config list for every neo rom set

Ok, last one.

Edo Express Delivery Guy

Yeah, looks like a rom set. Seems to tie plain english game names to short names kind of like Final Burn would launch Fatal Fury 3 by you using fatfury3 as the rom name. Also kind of looks like default settings too. Like # of credits, difficulty, button mapping for any particular game.
    Last edited by FA-MAS; 12-22-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Not really surprising that they used FBA, I had a hunch that this might have been the case. Heaps of other devices have done the same thing, like some of the later 'Dingoo' type handhelds.

The good news is that it won't be long before someone works out how to add more roms to this device.

Edo Express Delivery Guy

Quote Originally Posted by nerdstick View Post
    From what I could figure according to linux it doesn't even have a partition table, just raw data. There was a windows program mentioned earlier (FTK Manager) that allowed digging into mine, but it was a dead end at \000001~\file. Though mine might be corrupted (since it's no longer playable), perhaps more success would be found with a working card like yours.
    Curious, anyone try using fdisk on a linux machine to inspect Ninja Masters to see if there is a partition table of some type?

Cheng's Errand Boy

Anyone DD the system SD yet? I'm itching to crack into this. Been reading like mad. Squashfs seems like the filesystem type. Should be mountable with the right extensions. As soon as we can read/browse the filesystem, the sooner we get more emus on here. From everything I'm reading, the X is just a beefy CPU dingoo. Which is pretty well documented. This should be easy.

NEST Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by mr_e View Post
    Anyone DD the system SD yet? I'm itching to crack into this. Been reading like mad. Squashfs seems like the filesystem type. Should be mountable with the right extensions. As soon as we can read/browse the filesystem, the sooner we get more emus on here. From everything I'm reading, the X is just a beefy CPU dingoo. Which is pretty well documented. This should be easy.
    Lectoid sounded as though he planned to open it back up this weekend, so I suppose he's the best bet.

Thread Information