NeoGeoX Hacking and Mods

Spoonman

Enemy Chaser
And this is.. what exactly?

http://www.neostore.com/Multigame-161-in-1-English-AES-p/21.htm

Also, Hi SNKP. How about you send Tommo a proper Neo emulator.

Those multi-carts bug me..
Will they ever make one that doesn't have a ton of the same game. I realize they do that to keep the game count up and the MB size down, but it's
annoying and I'd rather have one without 10 fake copies of KOF on it. And $600... really?

We now return you to our regularly scheduled hacking thread (Already in progress...)

SSS

neo retired
The neo x is a half assed piece of shit. It has nothing to do with being jaded. Like I said earlier, neo emulation on the psp was a better experience. That was 2005. It's now 2012 and they couldn't even match the damn psp.

This logic of buy snkps crap or we won't get kof 14 or some shit is horrible. Why should I support a company that puts out a shitty product. Fuck them.

If they shovel crap and expect us to buy just because it says neo geo, I hope they go under. Let them go bankrupt. Let the IP's get liquidated. Let Rovio buy em up. Angry Birds: KOF where you fire chibi iori's at pig Changs would be a far better product than the neo x.

SlickDizzy

Mr. Big's Thug
The neo x is a half assed piece of shit. It has nothing to do with being jaded. Like I said earlier, neo emulation on the psp was a better experience. That was 2005. It's now 2012 and they couldn't even match the damn psp.

This logic of buy snkps crap or we won't get kof 14 or some shit is horrible. Why should I support a company that puts out a shitty product. Fuck them.

If they shovel crap and expect us to buy just because it says neo geo, I hope they go under. Let them go bankrupt. Let the IP's get liquidated. Let Rovio buy em up. Angry Birds: KOF where you fire chibi iori's at pig Changs would be a far better product than the neo x.

So, basically, you would prefer it if the NGX had never been announced or even existed, am I correct?

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member

I understand your points and I think they're valid, I just disagree.

The hardware is a real beast. Maybe they'll update the firmware or emulator and it gets better. Discouraging a purchase isn't helping. If it fails, you get left with a decent piece of hardware to run all kinds of stuff on. Not a bad tradeoff. It's a "better" product than the GP2x or other emu-based hardware and near the same pricepoint. (The sticks and dock alone are a good selling point)

If it didn't have NeoGeo printed on it, I think the tune would be different.

SlickDizzy

Mr. Big's Thug
:forw:
I'd prefer they show good faith and fix the horrible shit software.

Considering the fact that we're only 11 days after release, and all of two people here actually bothered to complain to Tommo, it could still happen. Besides, I don't know if you've studied business ever, but I can totally see the "testing the waters" concept behind the "Gold limited edition." More of an "okay, will people acutally give a sht about a Neo Geo handheld?" And the extra shipments..."okay, people might actually give a shit." And now with the 370 firmware? I'm not the happiest about the system's flaws, but it's apparent (to me, at least) that someone, somewhere is trying to make this thing a success.

In the end, if nothing else, I refuse to be blamed for the system's failure. But I also bought a new Dreamcast, so apparently I'm an imbecile.

SSS

neo retired
I understand your points and I think they're valid, I just disagree.

The hardware is a real beast. Maybe they'll update the firmware or emulator and it gets better. Discouraging a purchase isn't helping. If it fails, you get left with a decent piece of hardware to run all kinds of stuff on. Not a bad tradeoff. It's a "better" product than the GP2x or other emu-based hardware and near the same pricepoint. (The sticks and dock alone are a good selling point)

If it didn't have NeoGeo printed on it, I think the tune would be different.

You make it sound like it's the obligation of the fans to see it get fixed. Buy with the hope... No. I wouldn't buy another until THEY fix it. If playmore really cared about their fans they should be on Tommos ass to get an update out. some sort statement saying they are working on it, something. Their silence to me shows exactly what the neo x is currently. A quick buck to sucker us morons who love neo geo.

Fuck em

TurboRotary13b

Crossed Swords Squire
What exactly, isn't activated? You're posting right now.

Posting is all I am allowed to do.. I cant start a thread or even get to a members profile without getting a message that says that I don't have sufficient privileges and that my account needs to be activated.

SlickDizzy

Mr. Big's Thug
Posting is all I am allowed to do.. I cant start a thread or even get to a members profile without getting a message that says that I don't have sufficient privileges and that my account needs to be activated.

As has been stated a few times in this thread, it takes a week to earn full access. I know it sounds bizarre, but hang with it - long story short, this forum has had some EPIC trolls in the past.

First off would like to thank the moderator for granting me access to those lovely forum. Second for everyone who's spending their time to contribute the hack process even though they could be doing other things with their lives.

Yea I don't get folks that are bashing the system I mean it's not in anyway suppose to replace your old existing system, rather it's more a novelty item to relive the glory wether you have done so or not. Like a transformers commemorative figure it's not suppose to be a G1 but they still release it for the fans. For nostalgic reasons. Yes the system is not perfect, yes it's got flaws. But if one break things down the system came with 21 games. Calculate them at $7 each and you're pretty much paying $53 for the universal joystick that works for ps3/pc and for the handheld system. If you don't call that a steal then I don't know what is.

I rather give credit to Tommo for even releasing such a device. They don't have to, but they did and I applaud them for their attempt. For those bitching about a $53 handheld sorry you're working at McDonald and $200 is too much for you. But like SlickDizzy says it's only 11 days after release. Let's give it some time after the handheld version release and see what these guys have in store wether it be firmware update or whatever.

As for my own contribution I didn't like the feel of the joystick so I modified the stick to help with fighting games better. This is probably more of a preference thing so to each their own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVR8J564_jg

:down::downb::back::downb::forw::C:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Nothing wrong with customizing the stick to your own preferences, most of my joysticks are modified ever so slightly. I'm tempted to take some cherry switches from an unused Happ stick and try it, but I'm too lazy.

By the way Omron is a pretty standard switch, usually found in Japanese style sticks. Quite frankly, I'm surprised that's what's in the stick, I was expecting a knockoff.

I have been considering checking to see if I can replace the buttons like I did with my AES stick, but it only really matters in shooters where you have to mash a lot like Aero Fighters, and none of the NGX's 21 games need that level of mashing.

Last edited:

SSS

neo retired
Paying 7 dollars to run roms horribly is a rip off. These games are older than dirt at this point and should be in that price range

I can get blazing star for my phone right now for a buck and it runs fine with more available options than neo x games.

Diggerman

Zero's Tailor
Gotta feel bad bad for the mods, trying to be ethical about teh pirate romz because they want SNK and the Neostore to be supported, and meanwhile it turns out Neostore is fricking selling teh pirate romz on a cart for $600! Too funny.

I also read (forget where) the NGX actually has other emulators inside its internal storage, including highly illegal copies of the Playstation BIOS. Not sure if true, but good lord, if it is, what a mess.

So I guess it's considered OK to pirate teh romz if you're selling them to the Neo community??? You must admit the maze of ethics is getting rather complex around here. ;-)

Nothing wrong with customizing the stick to your own preferences, most of my joysticks are modified ever so slightly. I'm tempted to take some cherry switches from an unused Happ stick and try it, but I'm too lazy.

By the way Omron is a pretty standard switch, usually found in Japanese style sticks. Quite frankly, I'm surprised that's what's in the stick, I was expecting a knockoff.

I have been considering checking to see if I can replace the buttons like I did with my AES stick, but it only really matters in shooters where you have to mash a lot like Aero Fighters, and none of the NGX's 21 games need that level of mashing.

Yea I'm not familiar with omron but this was the first time I've seen those. I have those Madcatz tourney sticks and the authentic Dreamcast ones and I don't think those were omron's. As for the buttons I don't think those are modifiable as it looks glued and snapped in.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I haven't taken my X stick apart, but on the original stick you had to remove the whole assembly, PCB, buttons and all and pull out the soldering iron. I'm not sure if that's possible here since it's USB and you probably can't just ditch the PCB. On other sticks you could install the buttons and solder them to the appropriate pads on the PCB, but there's probably not enough room to do that here.

I've got too many other projects at the moment to dissect a perfectly working stick, maybe some other time!

TurboRotary13b

Crossed Swords Squire
As has been stated a few times in this thread, it takes a week to earn full access. I know it sounds bizarre, but hang with it - long story short, this forum has had some EPIC trolls in the past.

Thanks.. I've been lurking for a little while and I've seen some things.. lol.. Faked AES carts and fake SNK employees.. Shit of that nature.

Endlessnameless

They call me Gringo,
How about they fix the fucking problems first. This thing never should have shipped the way it is with all the audio and video issues. Relying on the community to do your work and fix your mistakes is unacceptable.

I would have no problem buying one if:

1. The price for just the handheld was more reasonable.
2. Problems were fixed.
3. Better idea of future support and game pricing.

Have they even announced what future games (if there are going to be any) pricing is going to be?

I agree with every bit of that. Well stated.

This is getting out of hand here, I may be new here, but can we start another thread for rants about the NGX? I thought this was for mods and hacks, not a bunch of bitching about the system. If you bought one and hate it; throw it up on eBay and move on with your life. The rest of us are still interested in seeing what the possibilities are with this thing. I agree it could have been better, but did anyone really think it was going to be on par with the real deal? I hope not. I have an AES and a CMVS and i expect perfection from those, not the NGX. This is all I am going to post because I don't have any hacking skills, but maybe we can get this thread back on track without reading all of this nonsense about how much it sucks.

SubElement

n00b
Hey guys! Just wanted to jump in a show my support for the hacking efforts, everyone is doing an amazing job!

Got my NGX 337 from Amazon to Australia because buying it through the official distributor was almost double the price, now that's a scam! Although the NGX isn't everything I wanted it to be, I've never had the opportunity to own a NEO GEO console, and I am glad I got the ability to do it now. I've sent off an email to Tommo about the improvements we've all talked about here, and hopefully they'll act on them. Otherwise it'll be rad to have an awesome piece of NEO GEO hardware and maybe hack it to be better!

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
This is getting out of hand here, I may be new here, but can we start another thread for rants about the NGX?.

I would agree the spam to info ratio is getting high.

Anyways I was able to figure out the remaining SD issue and made a work around in the kernel.

When the card is first being initialized by the mmc controller the communication is done in 1-bit mode. This doesnt work well for normal sds card cause its trying to transfer data over its data0 line, but the ngx is wired to expect data0 to be at data3. The ninjam card works fine because its wired backwards too so its data pins matches up with the ngx. Once the initialization is complete it switches to 4-bit mode, which will work fine with encoded data.

Since this issue only exists during initialization I was able to spoof the requests to get past this issue. I havent done a ton of testing but seems to be working ok.

This is a 16g card with a 2gig encoded vfat written without a partition table
Code:
Card Insert
mmc_app_send_scr spoofing scr
mmc1: new SDHC card at address b368
mmcblk1: mmc1:b368 SD    14.8 GiB 
 mmcblk1:

Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root               491099    477199         0 100% /
tmpfs                       64         0        64   0% /dev
tmpfs                   127840         0    127840   0% /tmp
tmpfs                   127840         4    127836   0% /var
/dev/mmcblk0p2          132966     90795     35515  72% /usr/mtdblock3
/dev/mmcblk0p3           20161         2     20159   0% /usr/mtdblock4
/dev/mmcblk0p4         1046528    159976    886552  15% /mnt/memory
/dev/mmcblk1           2043984     10624   2033360   1% /mnt/mmc

This is the normal ninjam card

Code:
Card Insert
mmc_app_send_scr spoofing scr
mmcblk1: mmc1:0001  63.0 MiB 
 mmcblk1: p1
mmcblk1: p1 size 129145 exceeds device capacity, limited to end of disk

Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root               491099    477199         0 100% /
tmpfs                       64         0        64   0% /dev
tmpfs                   127840         0    127840   0% /tmp
tmpfs                   127840         4    127836   0% /var
/dev/mmcblk1p1           64544     43856     20688  68% /mnt/mmc
/dev/mmcblk0p2          132966     90795     35515  72% /usr/mtdblock3
/dev/mmcblk0p3           20161         2     20159   0% /usr/mtdblock4
/dev/mmcblk0p4         1046528    160052    886476  15% /mnt/memory

-ack

Last edited:
Awesome man! I wish I had something to contribute, but all I can give is my gratitude. I don’t know how you guys figure this stuff out.