NeoGeoX Hacking and Mods

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
So the real fix would be to hardware mod the handheld to read normal cards, right?

Thats probably the easiest, but people who want to add future cards (if they are released), then a custom etched card with a microSD slot on it would work great.

Here are the errors I'm getting.
Code:
[ 3566.550922] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdc] Unhandled sense code
[ 3566.550929] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdc]  
[ 3566.550933] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
[ 3566.550937] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdc]  
[ 3566.550940] Sense Key : Medium Error [current] 
[ 3566.550946] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdc]  
[ 3566.550951] Add. Sense: Unrecovered read error
[ 3566.550955] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdc] CDB: 
[ 3566.550958] Read(10): 28 00 00 00 00 38 00 00 01 00
[ 3566.550974] end_request: critical target error, dev sdc, sector 56
[ 3566.550981] Buffer I/O error on device sdc1, logical block 17

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I hope you didnt have to test random pin layouts for this. I actually put this pin change in the source code for the decoder.
-ack

Nope, it was the first layout I tried. Any reason I can get one file, but nothing else? I know nothing about programming and my Linux skills are weaaaaaak.

EDIT:
Ok, looks like I may have jumped the gun. Just a little excited to see that it popped up. Though I dont really understand what your code is doing, I guess I did the same thing you did but through hardware.

My bad.

Last edited:

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Nope, it was the first layout I tried. Any reason I can get one file, but nothing else? I know nothing about programming and my Linux skills are weaaaaaak.

Seems like it should work if all you did was swap the data lines, assuming no damage happened during soldiering. You might try cleaning the contacts, there were a few times where I had to do that to fix errors.

EDIT:
Ok, looks like I may have jumped the gun. Just a little excited to see that it popped up. Though I dont really understand what your code is doing, I guess I did the same thing you did but through hardware.

My bad.

Its just a simple lookup table that contains every possible byte, which is really consists of 2x 4-bit reads. The byte seen matches up to an index in the table, which contains the 2x4bit swapped data.

So for example:

If the input byte was 0x7A (122 decimal, 0111 1010 binary), you would do a rtable[122], which has a value of 0xE5 (101 decimal, 1110 0101 binary). As you can see the 2x4bits are reversed from the input.

-ack

Endlessnameless

They call me Gringo,
not to thread crap because I admire the technical knowledge that you guys possess but it seems like if you want a portable system to emulate neogeo games couldn't you just get a psp and put a mame emulator on it and not have to go through the insanity of trying to do it on the neogeo X? And quite honestly a pc that has a video card with a video out option or even a laptop that has vga out or hdmi out would look way better on a big screen than the hardware that they utilize. I know "teh romz" is a touchy subject here but the whole point in hacking the X is to throw roms on it so I don't see the difference in utilizing readily available technology to do what you guys are ripping open a $200 device to do?

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
not to thread crap because I admire the technical knowledge that you guys possess but it seems like if you want a portable system to emulate neogeo games couldn't you just get a psp and put a mame emulator on it and not have to go through the insanity of trying to do it on the neogeo X? And quite honestly a pc that has a video card with a video out option or even a laptop that has vga out or hdmi out would look way better on a big screen than the hardware that they utilize. I know "teh romz" is a touchy subject here but the whole point in hacking the X is to throw roms on it so I don't see the difference in utilizing readily available technology to do what you guys are ripping open a $200 device to do?

Cus the NGX is infinitely more B.A.?
But in all seriousness I want them to succeed so that I can get a prettier, more responsive UI, and unibios functionality in the games themselves, as well as the ability to fix the video and audio issues and the odd glitches here and there.

It's not always about teh roms, it's about giving a decent piece of hardware the software it needs..

though maybe not the one it deserves. Srry, couldn't control myself lol.

Keep up the good work you crazy bastards :-P

Last edited:

geodude

n00b

It's the thrill of the fight.

Endlessnameless

They call me Gringo,
I'm not suggesting to give up in any way. I think it is amazing what people such as yourselves can do. If I had the funds to buy one I would have but would have been quite disappointed given the a/v issues and lack of available games. Fwiw I hope you guys are able to hack and exploit it to its full potential.

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member

I would recommend people dont waste their money getting a ngx, its definitely not worth $200. I am already out the $200 on it, so I am trying to get my moneys worth by having fun messing with the hardware/software.

-ack

gamesboro

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Its all about the Dpad. No portable outside of the pocket color has anything like it. I can't wait for mine to arrive!

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I would recommend people dont waste their money getting a ngx, its definitely not worth $200. I am already out the $200 on it, so I am trying to get my moneys worth by having fun messing with the hardware/software.

-ack

Seconded. I have a Raspberry Pi coming in to use in the dock, and honestly, I'll be using that more than the actual handheld. The first day I played with the system I had "warm and fuzzies", but it soon wore off. Even when this thing is fully hacked, I probably wont be playing it all that much. I'm having more fun jacking with the hardware than playing the roms.

kMNiH.jpg

BloodShed

New Challenger
couldn't you just get a psp and put a mame emulator on it
<sigh> I already own a hacked PSP with MAME.

Personally, I purchased the Neo Geo X for several reasons:
  • I actually want to financially support SNK Playmore (even if it's through a third party) and the "idea" of the return of Neo Geo. Perhaps SNK will pay attention and reconsider entering the hardware market. They definitely won't if the unit fails. I'd think any fan would understand that hope. In short: I love the brand.
  • I love the joystick!
  • I like the NGP style directional on the handheld.
  • I love the idea of a Neo Geo dedicated handheld.
  • HDMI output and a dock with USB.
  • The hardware is considerably superior to my Caanoo (though lacking touch screen) or the Dingoo.

My only issues are:
  • Lack of available games.
  • Lack of configuration options. Like enabling 4:3 ratio by default.
  • Resolution and refresh issues affecting video quality output.

All of those issues can be corrected in software and unlock the full potential of a decent piece of hardware.

If you're satisfied with MAME on a PSP, then by all means, go play Neo Geo on PSP.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
I like the Neo Geo X.

Some great work so far, alas I am not technically gifted at all but just out of interest might it be possible eventually for other neo geo games to be put on SD cards by the hard working hackers as im pretty sure not all the games will be released officially.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
<sigh> I already own a hacked PSP with MAME.

Personally, I purchased the Neo Geo X for several reasons:
  • I actually want to financially support SNK Playmore (even if it's through a third party) and the "idea" of the return of Neo Geo. Perhaps SNK will pay attention and reconsider entering the hardware market. They definitely won't if the unit fails. I'd think any fan would understand that hope. In short: I love the brand.
  • I love the joystick!
  • I like the NGP style directional on the handheld.
  • I love the idea of a Neo Geo dedicated handheld.
  • HDMI output and a dock with USB.
  • The hardware is considerably superior to my Caanoo (though lacking touch screen) or the Dingoo.

My only issues are:
  • Lack of available games.
  • Lack of configuration options. Like enabling 4:3 ratio by default.
  • Resolution and refresh issues affecting video quality output.

All of those issues can be corrected in software and unlock the full potential of a decent piece of hardware.

If you're satisfied with MAME on a PSP, then by all means, go play Neo Geo on PSP.

Very well put. :buttrock:

TurboRotary13b

Crossed Swords Squire
Seconded. I have a Raspberry Pi coming in to use in the dock, and honestly, I'll be using that more than the actual handheld. The first day I played with the system I had "warm and fuzzies", but it soon wore off. Even when this thing is fully hacked, I probably wont be playing it all that much. I'm having more fun jacking with the hardware than playing the roms.

kMNiH.jpg

What about the A13-OLinuXino? It's a little more powerful than the Raspberry Pi.

jslime

n00b
Hm, if you really follow this close, you obviously are aware that I was the one posting on how to boot into Dingux today by swapping partitions from the A380 image. No puns intended, but other than ban threats, what was your contribution towards the NGX hack?

Amen to that hatch!
I'll also 2nd that hatch has contributed considerably to the exploration of the ngx. Thank you for that.

From a complete noob's perspective it appears as though Rot is on some sort of sad power trip.

Last edited:

Ozfer

n00b
Originally Posted by hatch
Hm, if you really follow this close, you obviously are aware that I was the one posting on how to boot into Dingux today by swapping partitions from the A380 image. No puns intended, but other than ban threats, what was your contribution towards the NGX hack?
Amen to that hatch!
I'll also 2nd that hatch has contributed considerable to the exploration of the ngx. Thank you for that.

From a complete noob's perspective it appears as though Rot is on some sort of sad power trip.

Amen to that Amen I don't mean to be rude or anything but no one has posted roms of anything here and every other post is harshly criticizing people for putting roms up that aren't there! Warn people if they do something wrong not if they don't do anything! Please forum moderators check to see if people are actually breaking rules before rapid fire flaming against people that do nothing wrong.

Anyways currently I am making a sd converter thing but my soldering skills are not the best and its taking a while.

Daedalus

If there's a Bandwagon. I'm on it!
Anyoneget theirs through amazon, I checked all the local stores no one has it...so I ordered from there... Hoping on the 337

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Amen to that Amen I don't mean to be rude or anything but no one has posted roms of anything here and every other post is harshly criticizing people for putting roms up that aren't there! Warn people if they do something wrong not if they don't do anything! Please forum moderators check to see if people are actually breaking rules before rapid fire flaming against people that do nothing wrong.

Anyways currently I am making a sd converter thing but my soldering skills are not the best and its taking a while.

It's because we removed the links to the dumps and roms.

You've been here for 5 minutes and you've already pissed me off. The last thing I want to read is another whiny idiot who has no idea about the rules or history here.

You're floating...

Tacitus

Staff member
GOT IT WORKING!

V5jlp.jpeg

AjoxW.jpeg

Wire DAT0 to DAT3
1 to 2
3 to 0
2 to 1

Did that and it came right up.

I figured it was something trivial. you beat me to the punch.

Damn you, you've made a powerful enemy today.

Tacitus

Staff member
I hope you didnt have to test random pin layouts for this. I actually put this pin change in the source code for the decoder.

Code:
/*
  neogeox_sd_decode version 0.1

gcc -o neogeox_sd_decode neogeox_sd_decode.c

The 4 data lines to the external SD card slot are wired backward causing
  the bits to be backwards as seen by the ngx device.

0001 -> 1000
  0011 -> 1100
  1000 -> 0001
  etc.
*/

There is still something else going on through when inserted into the ngx, which is why I was asking about the ground re-purpose.

If it was just a data pin swap, a dd copy of the ninjam should have worked in the ngx.

-ack

Not necessarily, redumping the image and writing back should work.

I would try G4L first, before DD. There's a free copy on hiren's boot cd if you're having a problem finding it or setting up a machine for it. I used to to use it to clone/hack XBOX HD's for modding.

They're essentially the same thing, but G4L allows direct bit copying and eliminates a ton of steps. Just be CAREFUL with what you're doing before you start and make sure you're pin swapping or you'll have gibberish.

Tacitus

Staff member
I will also restate this for all of the new members finding their way into this thread:

SNKP does find their way to this site. The NeoStore sells SNKP products. Additionally, the NeoStore sells NGX devices, which in turn, funds this site.

Any pirating, linking or intellectual property violations will be dealt with harshly. There are no more warnings about this, Rot and I have been repeating ourselves in this thread and getting no where.

As long as it's no intellectual property, ROMs or violating copyright, no one has a problem and we're an open community.

This policy has kept this site running and out of trouble for years. If you don't like it, LEAVE. We have relaxed modding rules around here and this community polices itself pretty well. If you're new here, you have no idea about this. I don't care if you don't like it nor will anyone else.

That is all.