Page 2 of 60 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: NeoGeoX Hacking and Mods

Don't get me wrong, I totally support the effort to open up the NGX, I'm just wondering if they might change it later. But considering they aren't offering any other game cards, who knows. At least us owners have options if they never support it with good titles.
    In the beginning, god created the universe.
    This has made a lot of people very angry, and is generally regarded as a bad move.

Vatanen & Richards: The Winner 1981 WRC

NEST Puppet

Aw, nuts. My attempts to mount the SD card somehow corrupted it despite me setting it to read-only. Oh well.

Edit: All attempts to format it thwarted. Says it's write-protected with the switch up and down.
    Last edited by nerdstick; 12-21-2012 at 12:34 AM.

Pao Pao cafe VIP

Maybe this can help with formatting the card: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/

Ingenic JZ4770 CPU (1 GHz, ~250 mW)

Includes: 1080p video decoding unit for H.264, VC-1 and VP8 (a secondary 500 MHz MIPS processor with SIMD extension), 2D+3D GC860 Graphics core (licensed from Vivante) supporting OpenGL ES 2.0 and OpenVG 1.1

That is one beastly CPU for a Neo Geo emulator.

Krauser's Shoe Shiner

Here is a link to all of the development tools for the processor http://en.ingenic.cn/product.aspx?ID=62. I'm sure the software required to read the data off the cards is in there.

Bao's Babysitter

This was a pleasant surprise to wake up to! You guys are awesome!

I have a feeling we are going to see this completely hacked before the New Year...

This would make an awesome MAME portable if the software is completely cracked. The hardware is pretty damn powerful.

Also, would be interesting to attempt a CPU speed increase if the software is cracked.

You can see the 512.00 MHz oscillator located next to the SoC.

Won't be useful for Neo Geo emulation, but if MAME/Dreamcast/etc emulation is added in the future...

Krauser's Shoe Shiner

Not to mention being able to use the dock for tv output with the emulation and possibly supporting other usb controllers.

Quote Originally Posted by 68k View Post
    Also, would be interesting to attempt a CPU speed increase if the software is cracked.
    Won't be useful for Neo Geo emulation, but if MAME/Dreamcast/etc emulation is added in the future...
    Last edited by HitokiriRyu; 12-21-2012 at 07:21 AM.

Robert Garcia's Butler

Quote Originally Posted by 68k View Post
    This would make an awesome MAME portable if the software is completely cracked. The hardware is pretty damn powerful.
    That's what I am holding out on.

I would buy one of these once someone sorts out how to open it up and run other stuffs on it.
    RGB 4 THE PEOPLE!

Slashchat nick = Yodd

World Hero

is there a copy of the microsd around?
    I guess it's a good day for Were-Jag... -NG: DEV.TEAM
    It's only fucking 50 USD for crying out loud. -Yakumo
    If there's one thing I hate in life more than anything else it's freeloaders. -Yakumo
    "reality has a well-known liberal bias." - Stephen Colbert

Gai's Trainer

ya it could be a really sweet emulation/homebrew device

i am excite

I'll try to make an image of it this weekend, but the "bad blocks" or whatever errors it was giving me worry me. I wish I was well versed in Linux. I'll put that "testdisk" on my mac since it has a unix backbone and see if I have better luck there.

I'm also hesitant to do too much because if I screw up my card, I'll be SOL. I'm sure I can get it replaced from Amazon.

Side note, When I press up (this was before I took it apart), I have to go further past the click for the up to register. The other 3 directions register right at the click. So that's a warranty issue, it'll have to go back at some point.

Edo Express Delivery Guy

Interesting. I will talk with some programmers friends of mine tonight and be back with info if there is any

Awesome work guys, keep this thread alive!

NEST Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by ComBoMasTer View Post
    Maybe this can help with formatting the card: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/
    Same one I used. Perhaps they rigged the card to be write-protected regardless of the switch?

What firmware does everyone have? I think I have 337. Over at gamefaqs, someone asked that question and there are at least 3 versions out there. 337, 357, and 370. No idea what the difference is.

NEST Puppet

I have 337. I was wondering if someone who still had their update file someone mentioned in the main thread for a later version would upload it if we could update the older (337/357) units with it.

Bao's Babysitter

Where is firmware version shown?

NEST Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by topher View Post
    Where is firmware version shown?
    Pressing Menu in the menu.

Why So Serious

The good thing about this is, If there is something needed doing to the machine itself and some people (me inc) have no clue how to do it, it will be easy and cheap enough to send of the handheld to an expert.

Toapran

Has anyone tried comparing the ninja masters card to a normal SD card? Might be easier to read.

Bao's Babysitter

I have a 337 also

Cheng's Errand Boy

Someone should take a dd dump image of that internal SD card and upload it for me. Anyone with a mac or linux can do it. If I can get a peek at the filesytems and figure out what they are. And even better, get them mounted, shits on. Its going to be large, if someone is willing to dump it, I can provide a place to host it.

dd overview and usage found here...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd_%28Unix%29

I made a DD image of whatever it is when you hook the NGX up to your computer, I don't know if that 1GB partition is from the internal SD card or what. It was late when I did it and I was able to mount it with daemon tools, but I couldn't access it. I only tried once then went to bed. I have an open weekend ahead of me to dive in to this more.

FUCKSTICK MODERATOR.
    Misanthrope

Chasing the Pfhor around L'howon with SPNKR in hand...

You can take a look at this in windows fairly easily.

Download and install FTK imager ( http://www.accessdata.com/support/product-downloads )

Add the card as an evidence item
    Acquire an image in RAW (dd)format.
    When done, you can proceed with looking at the file tree, also. you should be able to view the filesystems on the card.

You now have an unaltered, safe copy of your card and the ability to browse and file carve the contents of the image. You can also do this for the system if that's not the same card that is presented.
    Last edited by VanillaThunder; 12-21-2012 at 02:39 PM.

Thread Information