NeoGeoX Hacking and Mods

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
We know that the ninjam sd card is functional (but scrambled data) when put into a PC. That should mean all the all the non-ground pins are wired correctly within in the card? Is it feasible they could do something like this on the internal wiring of the ninjam sd card?

1 = DATA3
2 = COMMAND
3 = GROUND
4 = POWER
5 = CLOCK
6 = CLOCK
7 = DATA0
8 = DATA1
9 = DATA2

Then on the ngx card reader change the pin out such that its supplying the CLOCK on pin 6 and nothing on pin 5. This would allow the ninjam sd card to work, while a normal sd wouldn't because its expecting the CLOCK on pin 5.

-ack

As far as GNDs are concerned, the Ninja Masta's SD and SD slot on the X are identical to any SD card. The system wont be able to read a ClOCK signal on pin 6 as its directly connected to GND.

I'll try a few things over the next few days. If I'm not drunk.

Steward

n00b
first of all, thanks "ack" share the import information about SDCard.

now, i have decode the SDCard(ninjan master's) and this sdcard contain a folder called card_game.
this folder also contains 3 files: game1.fba, game1.png, game_card_configure.conf

i wish some people may help to hack this machine together :)

OK OK...

Firstly... Welcome Steward....

Secondly... forum rules state you CANNOT post links to ANY roms or info that infringes upon copyright... ESPECIALLY NG related links...

...Don't make me ban you... i only let you account thru this morning... even tho you tried to register twice with slightly differing email addresses...

Once your account is up and running... you can ask people to private message or email you...

xROTx

PS. warning lads... English speaking or part Engrish speaking... posting of Roms or links to roms will incur some sort of punishment...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea thank you ack for all the great work, feels like this is making some good progress.

I tried a couple of things with no success:

-Copied the decoded files on a FAT16 formatted 2 GB SD card, doesn't change the icon.
-Ripped an image of that same card, then ran it through ack's program (to "re-encode" it), then wrote the image back to the card. No icon change. :(

Granted if the last one was going to work then our original attempts at copying the dd image to other cards should have probably worked too, this is really weird.

Also, has anyone tried rewriting the Ninja Master's image dump on to the original SD card? Does that work? I know nerdstick didn't have any luck:

I also tried re-writing a working dump to my Ninja Masters card I messed up, and for some reason kept getting write errors at around 30MB in. Did an fdisk -l a few tries in, to see that it was then recognized as an 8MB drive all of a sudden. Then I gave up! I tried formatting it in Ubuntu and couldn't. Not sure what the deal is with it.

Also ack, when you were inserting a normal SD card earlier, was it an SD card that was imaged with the Ninja Master's rip? Just wondering if you were able to get any other SD card data to read with this latest information even if the games don't load up in the snk_desktop.

I think this is kind of interesting as well, from your earlier dmesg output:

key_open
Card Insert
Card Eject
Card Insert
mmc1: new high speed SD card at address 0001
mmcblk1: mmc1:0001 63.0 MiB

key_open
Card Insert
mmc1: new SDHC card at address b368
mmcblk1: mmc1:b368 SD 14.8 GiB
Do all of your other SD cards load up with "mmc1: new SDHC card at address b368" instead of "mmc1: new high speed SD card at address 0001"? And do the "Insert, Eject, Insert" actions always occur for the Ninja Master's card or was that just a fluke?

Through haphazard Googling I've seen the "mmc1: new high speed SD card at address 0001" come up in other versions of Linux when a microSD to SD converter is used. While the internals of the card don't suggest anything like that (thanks for the pics and all your work, NeoTurfMasta), I do think it's interesting that most of the references to the card we've found in the code/scripts calls it a "TF" card instead of an SD card.

Last edited:

Ozfer

n00b
The reason why it wont work is because the pins are flipped. In order for it to work on another card first the system may check to see if its the right card, after it WILL need to be written back to it with the funky pin layout. This means if you write it to another sd card that sd cards pins must also be switched so it writes the file the right way.

If you just write the correct file to the card it will be wrong because its trying to put it on via the incorrect pin layout. Maybe we can modify a cheap sd card reader to alter the pin layout? IDK just a thought then we wouldn't need a program to do either.

Also he said somthing about the file system being messed up or weird so that might be making it not work also.

Hey can you post some link for the working converter I am not able to get it to run right?

hatch

n00b
It may be me, but I do not see where he posted links to roms here or on his educities.edu.tw site. All he did was post the source code he used to decode the dump, and this was/is his own creation - also, he listed the files on the sd card with their filenames, but did not post links to the files themselves.

I understand the need to keep unwanted and illegal content off this site, but the level of aggression shown is somewhat irritating. I've counted more ban threats towards people than anything else during my last days here.

OK OK...

Firstly... Welcome Steward....

Secondly... forum rules state you CANNOT post links to ANY roms or info that infringes upon copyright... ESPECIALLY NG related links...

...Don't make me ban you... i only let you account thru this morning... even tho you tried to register twice with slightly differing email addresses...

Once your account is up and running... you can ask people to private message or email you...

xROTx

PS. warning lads... English speaking or part Engrish speaking... posting of Roms or links to roms will incur some sort of punishment...

Last edited:

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
The reason why it wont work is because the pins are flipped. In order for it to work on another card first the system may check to see if its the right card, after it WILL need to be written back to it with the funky pin layout. This means if you write it to another sd card that sd cards pins must also be switched so it writes the file the right way.

If you just write the correct file to the card it will be wrong because its trying to put it on via the incorrect pin layout. Maybe we can modify a cheap sd card reader to alter the pin layout? IDK just a thought then we wouldn't need a program to do either.

Also he said somthing about the file system being messed up or weird so that might be making it not work also.

Hey can you post some link for the working converter I am not able to get it to run right?

Thats what I have been planning on doing. What pins are you suggesting we swap?

BloodShed

New Challenger
Sorry to break it to you, but this...
It'd be nice if trolls would not derail the focus of this thread.

I have downloaded the A380 firmware image, extracted the partitions from it and wrote them back to the NGX sd. To my surprise, I now have Dingux / Dmenu booting, but with display problems. Inputs and sound is working though, so I hope this is fixable via configuration files. Any suggestions?
Nice work. I suspect it's a video driver issue. I guess the JZ4770 has an instruction set that isn't fully compatible with previous models.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
It may be me, but I do not see where he posted links to roms here or on his educities.edu.tw site. All he did was post the source code he used to decode the dump, and this was/is his own creation - also, he listed the files on the sd card with their filenames, but did not post links to the files themselves.

I understand the need to keep unwanted and illegal content off this site, but the level of aggression shown is somewhat irritating. I've counted more ban threats towards people than anything else during my last days here.

Hello Mister Hatch Pal...

...meh... you may find the recent threats to ban people aggressive but tbh... I'm one of the more happy go lucky mods...

I've sorta adopted this thread and keeping my eye on it...

I could let one of the other lads do it... let's say.... Xander Crews.... now that guy would happily just fuckin ban you or fuck with your account for a laugh...

.... I'm of the opinion a friendly warning is best... and if you ignore it... it goes up a notch...

Mr Whitefolks has already stated the rules... that post was awesome aggressive...

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...ing-and-Mods&p=3465245&viewfull=1#post3465245

but hell ... he's a good bloke and that's the way he can be...

I haven't banned anyone yet... even tho i said i might.... but have no doubt... i will if needed...

Like this fucktard: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...Cab-tulossa.&p=3467531&viewfull=1#post3467531

I hate spambots...

Ok... carry on...

Oh and Hatch... i appreciate your input.... Thx man...

xROTx

PS. Possibly you could contribute more as well... it'd be nice to contribute on a forum you're a part of... eh Hatch?

hatch

n00b
Just screened Stewards site again, even checking the HTML source. There is not a single file link within the page, let alone to any infringing material. So as long as you can't point me towards the problem with his work, I'll repost the link for the sake of documentation.

hatch

n00b
Hello Mister Hatch Pal...

PS. Possibly you could contribute more as well... it'd be nice to contribute on a forum you're a part of... eh Hatch?

Hm, if you really follow this close, you obviously are aware that I was the one posting on how to boot into Dingux today by swapping partitions from the A380 image. No puns intended, but other than ban threats, what was your contribution towards the NGX hack?

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Just screened Stewards site again, even checking the HTML source. There is not a single file link within the page, let alone to any infringing material. So as long as you can't point me towards the problem with his work, I'll repost the link for the sake of documentation.

OK Mr Hatch...

Just post the link then... I'm just gonna leave it for someone else to go thru... I think Mr Whitefolks will be on later anyway...

... TBH... I'm not a techie... or software engineer... i'm more of an alcholic with nets access pal...

If i see it... and it looks like it could possibly harm this site... i delete... (Better safe than sorry man...)..

OK... roll teh dice... and post the link... however, if my tech mod friend doesn't like it... be prepared...

I'm on whiskey.... want a glass?

xROTx

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
So what emulation is this thing running on again? I remember when it was first cracked and people thought it was Final Burn. Yesterday I was talking with my friend Sid who also commented on Luke's video that somebody posted his comment a few pages back. He said that he's got a friend who did the emulation and Tomo "ripped him off" and took the half finished code and that's why the X doesn't sound right. He then went onto say his friend's working on another emulator handheld that's going to blow all the others out of the water and crap like that. So what's the real scoop?

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
GOT IT WORKING!

V5jlp.jpeg

AjoxW.jpeg

Wire DAT0 to DAT3
1 to 2
3 to 0
2 to 1

Did that and it came right up.

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
GOT IT WORKING!

Wire DAT0 to DAT3
1 to 2
3 to 0
2 to 1

You opened the Pandora's box. Congrats, man.

I was about to ask if you checked if the firmware tries to write something on the card, but nevermind.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Cant seem to copy anything but the game_card_configure.conf though. Getting I/O errors on the other files. Ideas?

BloodShed

New Challenger
GOT IT WORKING!
Genius! Especially for using a microSD adaptor. It seems so obvious now.

Question: where are they swapping the pins? Are they swapping the pinout on the card, on the card reader inside the NGX, or both?

If I had to guess, I'd say they're swapping on both. So the real fix would be to hardware mod the handheld to read normal cards, right?

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
GOT IT WORKING!

Wire DAT0 to DAT3
1 to 2
3 to 0
2 to 1

I hope you didnt have to test random pin layouts for this. I actually put this pin change in the source code for the decoder.

Code:
/*
  neogeox_sd_decode version 0.1

gcc -o neogeox_sd_decode neogeox_sd_decode.c

The 4 data lines to the external SD card slot are wired backward causing
  the bits to be backwards as seen by the ngx device.

0001 -> 1000
  0011 -> 1100
  1000 -> 0001
  etc.
*/

There is still something else going on through when inserted into the ngx, which is why I was asking about the ground re-purpose.

If it was just a data pin swap, a dd copy of the ninjam should have worked in the ngx.

-ack