_v16 = 131072;
    _v4 = __ra;
    _v8 = 0x1d950;
    asm("bgezal zero,0x8");
     *((intOrPtr*)(0x404380))();
    __sp = __sp + 32;
    return;
}

I've tried mounting it as vfat too with no luck. I had dumped an image of the card using the Windows dd, later I tried in Ubuntu and I got a slightly bigger resulting image, but it still wouldn't mount.

But you're definitely right, something about the dumps is incomplete, because neither image has produced a working card in the Neo Geo X when I write them back to a different SD card.

I think mr_e had uploaded what burningtoys dumped, which was also done with the Windows version of dd.

I posted a link to FTK, do it with that.

If that doesn't work, load up LINEN or HELIX and acquire it that way.

It will work,

FA-MAS

Kula's Candy
I'm gonna try writing the ninja masters to an actual block device (external hdd) and then see if I can mount it.

Edit: Well at least the phyisical device shows up when connected. Gives a few more options at least. Trying dd_rescue on it says it has a bad partition table. Gonna let it try to repair it.

Last edited:

lastcallhall

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I can also confirm that my 370 has the samsung chip - no microsd card.

Crap. I'm not going to disassemble my system then - I'm going to look at the NM card though and see if I can't do anything there... If anything I'm going to look at the way the card loads and see if there's any way to exploit the loading process into running a script on the internal RAM to 1) reflash the games onboard with a unibios or 2) if that's not possible, load external ROMs from the card using the same method...

...This may be a while... =P

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Guys with a 370 system, where did you guys buy them from? I have a second system coming in from BestBuy, just curious if I should expect a 370 on that one.

I posted a link to FTK, do it with that.

If that doesn't work, load up LINEN or HELIX and acquire it that way.

It will work,
Thanks for the link, this is a pretty cool program. It looks like the resulting image it created is identical to what dd had created in Ubuntu.

I tried writing it back, but the NGX still won't recognize it. :( Were you able to get the NGX to recognize a different SD card with the Ninja Master's image?

Last edited:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Guys with a 370 system, where did you guys buy them from? I have a second system coming in from BestBuy, just curious if I should expect a 370 on that one.

Target. I'm assuming at this point that all of the later orders (I ordered mine on 11/29) are going to be Samsung chips.

Mr. Zurkon

Zero's Secretary
Ordered mine on 11-27 from Gamestop, didn't open the unit up but the menu says it's 370.

SlickDizzy

Mr. Big's Thug
Mine was ordered just last week from Target and I got a 337...they probably have multiple lots of stock at different locations depending on where your ship to address is.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Mine was ordered just last week from Target and I got a 337...they probably have multiple lots of stock at different locations depending on where your ship to address is.

Fingers crossed, but I'm sure the onboard stuff will be worked out at some point as well.

jslime

n00b
Thanks mugenmidget, doesn't look like anything l can decipher.

Word of warning to anyone thinking about disecting their X, *be careful* -- l broke a small piece of plastic off of the power button when removing the casing and now it won't power on unless it's docked or plugged in.

Thanks mugenmidget, doesn't look like anything l can decipher.

Word of warning to anyone thinking about disecting their X, *be careful* -- l broke a small piece of plastic off of the power button when removing the casing and now it won't power on unless it's docked or plugged in.
Damn, that sucks. :( It's why I'm avoiding opening mine, even though I'm firmware 337 and probably have the microSD card on board. I have zero faith in my ability to take electronics apart.

VRC-SID

Cheng's Errand Boy
$5 that using boot select pads on the board would allow you to boot from the external SD slot.

Someone willing to test should ground boot sel2 and pop the sd card into the slot with an adapter.

jslime

n00b
Damn, that sucks. :( It's why I'm avoiding opening mine, even though I'm firmware 337 and probably have the microSD card on board. I have zero faith in my ability to take electronics apart.

No biggie, live and learn l guess lol -- l'm sure l won't have any trouble getting it swapped out.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Thanks for the link, this is a pretty cool program. It looks like the resulting image it created is identical to what dd had created in Ubuntu.

I tried writing it back, but the NGX still won't recognize it. :( Were you able to get the NGX to recognize a different SD card with the Ninja Master's image?

The DD function should work the same. It will also hash the filesystem or media so you can compare the live image against what you acquired. It's a digital forensics tool.

In regards to the media, I'm willing to bet there is either metadata that is embedded or read from the cards themselves or its filesystem. When I have some time, I'll try to do some file carving and see if there is anything in slack or unallocated space.

I thought it was odd that the cards and filesystem weren't encrypted.

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
You monsters. I came here from a link and story on Engadget. Prepare for more n00bs then you can handle! ;)

I'll have to read this thread later to see the awesome things done :)

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Noobs with tech knowledge is fine. I support that kinda noobdom anyday.

btw mine was picked up at Gamestop.