NeoGeoX Hacking and Mods

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I guess the issue is, if you don't mind it being a Neo-Geo x, and if you can use hacked cleaned up firmware, and if you can find and can throw any rom you want at it for a dedicated little handheld that says Neo Geo on it, it's not the worst thing you could do. But that is a lot of IFs.

I guess the issue is, if you don't mind it being a Neo-Geo x, and if you can use hacked cleaned up firmware, and if you can find and can throw any rom you want at it for a dedicated little handheld that says Neo Geo on it, it's not the worst thing you could do. But that is a lot of IFs.
Thanks. I just want to know if I buy this exact version will I be able to add other emulators myself and change firmware?
Or do I still need to buy an extra cable? As far as I can see there is a modded 16gb card included.

The catch is that is still a Neo Geo X!
:lolz: :lolz: :lolz:

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I'd think so. If I remember right the so-called protection Tommo did was to re-write the pinouts so a normal reader couldn't do that. This setup seems to come with an adapter that re-tweaks things around so you can toss it into a PC and throw whatever you want at it that sticks, then put the little card back into the NGX and it works. I imagine you'd need some working knowledge how to throw more emulators and ROMs at it other than just Neo Geo stuff though.

I think the NGX itself used normal SD sized cards, so the little micro would be normal, so you'd need a micro to sd adapter and go from there. Then once you put what you want on the little card, stuff it into that chinese custom hacked sd adapter and the NGX will pick it up.

aku

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Thanks. I just want to know if I buy this exact version will I be able to add other emulators myself and change firmware?
Or do I still need to buy an extra cable? As far as I can see there is a modded 16gb card included.

:lolz: :lolz: :lolz:

forget the ngx handheld. you want a JXD S7800B because its a lot better.

forget the ngx handheld. you want a JXD S7800B because its a lot better.
I don't like the 7 inch size, too big. I have a S5100 but that one is quite old, very old Android 2.3

I'd think so. If I remember right the so-called protection Tommo did was to re-write the pinouts so a normal reader couldn't do that. This setup seems to come with an adapter that re-tweaks things around so you can toss it into a PC and throw whatever you want at it that sticks, then put the little card back into the NGX and it works. I imagine you'd need some working knowledge how to throw more emulators and ROMs at it other than just Neo Geo stuff though.

I think the NGX itself used normal SD sized cards, so the little micro would be normal, so you'd need a micro to sd adapter and go from there. Then once you put what you want on the little card, stuff it into that chinese custom hacked sd adapter and the NGX will pick it up.

Thanks, I ordered one. Let's see how it works out. I already own a GCW Zero which has a 4:3 screen and some great NG emus but the stick is very mushy. I am buying the ngx for a few reasons. 1. The clicky stick. 2. The really beautiful interface. i just like the screens of the games. That is also beautiful for the other emus. Too bad there isn't a PC Engine emu yet, one of the best systems ever made.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Well good luck and you're right on those points at least. I'm kind of wondering, when hacked isn't that sucker kind of a linux based thing with a stolen emulator (FB Alpha) on there? I'm surprised there wouldn't be a PCE one, because hell even the GBA has PCE Advance which runs all HuCards and ISOs of game CDs too and accurately.

Well good luck and you're right on those points at least. I'm kind of wondering, when hacked isn't that sucker kind of a linux based thing with a stolen emulator (FB Alpha) on there? I'm surprised there wouldn't be a PCE one, because hell even the GBA has PCE Advance which runs all HuCards and ISOs of game CDs too and accurately.

So I read this whole topic and I have some questions.
I own the NGX with 4.50 firmware

Who wrote the this firmware?
Why can't I save games?
Is save game possible with FW 5.00?
there are about 9 emulators on my neogeo, can I delete some of them, so they don't show up?
why can't we change buttons in the emulators?
why isn't there a PCE emulator?

MAYAman

n00b
So I read this whole topic and I have some questions.
I own the NGX with 4.50 firmware

Who wrote the this firmware?
Why can't I save games?
Is save game possible with FW 5.00?
there are about 9 emulators on my neogeo, can I delete some of them, so they don't show up?
why can't we change buttons in the emulators?
why isn't there a PCE emulator?

I can save. I have the latest firmware.
If you want to remove roms and emulators just connect the NGX to a pc via USB. It will load up as an android device I believe.

You can see all the emulators and roms.

I even added all my own box art for all the Genesis, SNES, NES, GBA, PSone, and Atari games so they scroll with the real retail box art.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
People are still screwing around with this thing? Jesus.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
No. This is something very different. I mean that in the absolute worst way possible.

Fair enough :lolz: The neo geo 64 board is dead too. I pop in there from time to time to tend to the tumble weeds. If any neo system needs some new discussion love it's that one.

Gamemaster

20 Year Member
Bought the Megapack 1 recently and i have to admit its nicely made. The Shell is like an original hardcase for AES (but there is Neo-Geo X written near the snaplock), there is a booklet inside with the games, frontcovers and stickers.

Now i only need to look into some SD Slot to mod a SD reader to read the gamecard because i dont have a NGX.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Bought the Megapack 1 recently and i have to admit its nicely made. The Shell is like an original hardcase for AES (but there is Neo-Geo X written near the snaplock), there is a booklet inside with the games, frontcovers and stickers.

Now i only need to look into some SD Slot to mod a SD reader to read the gamecard because i dont have a NGX.

It's just roms. You can get those anywhere. What a roundabout way to get a pack of roms.

Gamemaster

20 Year Member
Yeah im aware of it, but with a reader i can use them legally in serveral emulators, even thought i got most games still on AES.

XtraSmiley

New Challenger
Now that the new NG Mini is coming, I look back on the X and think, man, it wasn't so bad! Real style joysticks and a mini system that actually looked like an AES!

The emulation and choices they made on display seemed to really tank it. Anyone kept up with this? Is there now an easier way to hack it to run a proper emulator of the NG?

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
Sorry to make a newbie question, but, does anyone tried to put a better display on it? Cheers

I think people pretty much gave up on this man, even the other forums that were dedicated to it I don't think there has been any new developments in years.

MAYAman

n00b

The cards are available on eBay. Still rocking my NGX with two modded sticks with bat tops. Still works great. It is miles better than the fucking mini that's out now.

It got shit on by the hardcore zealots to protect the value of their collections. Have a backup in box in case this one ever dies.